Started on: 05-30-2003 06:32 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: GTDude on 06-02-2003 09:07 PM
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 06:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Does anyone offer a cam for a turbo 2.8? I was told Comp. Cams does, but I sit on hold for 20 minutes and end up hanging up. Their website is gone too.

I was using the Crane 2030 w/Comp. Cams 1.6 rockers with good results. Maybe I'll get another one if I can't find an actual turbo profile cam.

------------------
SAVE THE SHAUN!!

Blown '88 Fastback Coupe!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2003 10:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
Turbo cams are usually cut on wide lobe centers of between 113* and 114* degrees in order to minimize the time that both valves are open simultaneously. These narrow overlap cams tend to trap the boost in the cylinder providing more horsepower. Use a cam with a shorter lobe center and more overlap and the boost just blows right out the exhaust. It is common to provide about .005" less lift on the exhaust valve on a turbo cam. My cam is .444 I .439 Ex. and 212* I /212* Ex @ .050"L. That translates to 260* adv duration cam at .006"L which could be up to a 284+* advertised lift at .000"L . Turbo cams for the V6 are unavailable as standard items. Comp Cams supplied a special turbo grind for me but many cam companies can also cut special cams. Crower offers a series of Turbo cams for the SBC. Perhaps they can help you if you can get through to Comp Cams.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
Use a cam with a shorter lobe center and more overlap and the boost just blows right out the exhaust.

Not to pick nits; what you said is right for a supercharger, but with a turbo it's the other way around. Exhaust would blow through to the intake (unless you're operating in crossover all the time).

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 09:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Not to pick nits; what you said is right for a supercharger, but with a turbo it's the other way around. Exhaust would blow through to the intake (unless you're operating in crossover all the time).

I agree that with the wrong cam specs. reversion can be a problem in a turbocharged engine.

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 07:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

I agree that with the wrong cam specs. reversion can be a problem in a turbocharged engine.

Are you holding out on us Dennis? Have you found out how to operate in crossover all the time

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2003 10:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
So any cam that has minimal overlap will work best with a turbo, right? And the Crane 2030 cam has very little overlap so the ECM will not go bonkers, right? And the Crane 2030 has more lift. I think I'll go with another 2030. After all, the guy in the supercharged Saleen saw my tail lights, and that guy in that 300ZX TT.

But I am wondering if the 1.6 rockers are hurting the airflow. Will they cause more overlap? Should I go back to 1.5 rockers?

Dennis LaGrua

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:

Are you holding out on us Dennis? Have you found out how to operate in crossover all the time

Holding out on what???
If I had an idea of what you mean by operating in "crossover all of the time" I would be able to reply. I've checked two books on turbocharging that I own (HP and Maximum Boost) and there is no reference to a "crossover." The only "crossover" that I am aware of on a turbocharged engine is the pipe that feeds the turbo from the two manifolds.
Perhaps I can state it in a simple and hopefully polite way; You can have boost losses with the wrong cam profile and a turbo. I've experienced it.
BTW,if your motive is to perhaps proove to everyone that I'm not one of the worlds foremost authorities on Turbochargers let me save you some time. I've never claimed to be one.

------------------

Rogue_Ant

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 01:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Rogue_AntSend a Private Message to Rogue_AntDirect Link to This Post
By crossover point, he is talking about when there is more pressure in the intake manifold, then the exhaust manifold (before turbo).

Rogue

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2003 02:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Holding out on what???
If I had an idea of what you mean by operating in "crossover all of the time" I would be able to reply. I've checked two books on turbocharging that I own (HP and Maximum Boost) and there is no reference to a "crossover." The only "crossover" that I am aware of on a turbocharged engine is the pipe that feeds the turbo from the two manifolds.
Perhaps I can state it in a simple and hopefully polite way; You can have boost losses with the wrong cam profile and a turbo. I've experienced it.
BTW,if your motive is to perhaps proove to everyone that I'm not one of the worlds foremost authorities on Turbochargers let me save you some time. I've never claimed to be one.

Dude, I'm just messing with you (hence the ). Chill out!

Like Rogue said, you're operating in crossover if you have more boost than back pressure.

GTDude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post06-02-2003 09:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Yeah Dennis.......but you're the closest thing we've got.......LOL. Kick ass website btw.

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
87 FIERO CPE 2.5 5spd
86 FIERO SE 2.5 AUTO
87 FIERO GT 2.8 4SPD
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock