Started on: 05-25-2003 01:46 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Will on 05-26-2003 01:23 PM
mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 01:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post
OK.....I need to know who here has successfully installed the larger (11.9 gallon) '87-'88 gas tank into an '84-'86 Fiero with the smaller tank.

As you all know the early cars only have a 10.2 gallon tank......this is too small for a stock Fiero, let alone one with a modified engine! I have already gotten tired of filling up every 150-175 miles......I need that extra storage capacity!

If you have done this swap successfully, please LMK what you did and how you did it. I want to increase the range of my N* convertible.

Thanks.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
86 FIERO GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 01:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 86 FIERO GTSend a Private Message to 86 FIERO GTDirect Link to This Post
Wow it must be getting bad gas mileage. We are expecting to be 30mpg with my N*.

------------------
Recipe for speed:
1 Northstar with 5spd
1 355 body kit
1 85 Fiero frame
1 set of 18s
pinch of polyurathane and a smidgen of 11" brakes.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 01:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Mike,

You may want to ask Ed Parks.
He is the only person I know of who has done that swap (or possibly he had it done). I understand there is welding involved, because he said his carpet nearly caught fire.

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 05-25-2003).]

mrfiero

Feedback score:    (91)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 149
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 03:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfieroSend a Private Message to mrfieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 86 FIERO GT:

Wow it must be getting bad gas mileage. We are expecting to be 30mpg with my N*.

It doesn't necessarily get bad mileage.....on the highway I get 26 (this is with the stock tranny w/3.71 gears), but in town (or whenever I "play" around) it's closer to 20 and with the small tank running out around 8 gallons my range sucks.

The additional 2 gallons or so will help out quite a bit. I may just have to figure out something on my own. I think it can be accomplished without welding, but we'll see.

Thanks.

Dave Mathis

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2003 11:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dave MathisSend a Private Message to Dave MathisDirect Link to This Post
Just bring it over here, Mike. We'll swap the N* into mine. I already have the bigger tank....you'd have the 2.8, and we'd both be happy!
Fierotech

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:

Mike,

You may want to ask Ed Parks.
He is the only person I know of who has done that swap (or possibly he had it done). I understand there is welding involved, because he said his carpet nearly caught fire.

Actually, *I* did the swap on Ed's car. And to clarify...the carpet didn't nearly catch on fire. The cruise control module *DID* catch on fire. Oops. Still works though, so...<shrug>...

Anyway...Mike, what's involved is removing the tank (duh), the 4 metal hangers and the two straps from the "donor" 87-88 car, which requires a chisel or some other constructive (destructive?) way of "un-welding", removing your original stuff, and welding in the new. The two rear ones are held in place partially by the seatbelt bolts on the inboard side, so that will locate them for you; the forward mounts have to be "eyeballed" and measured, but there's flats on the frame already where they go. Then the A/C & heater lines & clamps need to be "massaged" around a little to clear the new tank.

Not too bad of a job...though I DO suggest pulling the carpet to avoid any undue "excitement", especially in a $20K+ Fiero...and in the spirit of all the other ridiculous offers you seem to get along with owning this particular car...if you want to drop it off with me for, oh, six months or so, I'll do the swap, gratis....

I personally thought about doing the swap on my T-top when it was still on the road...but realized I rarely run more than a half tank of gas, so what's the point?

Take care---
Jeremy B.

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 12:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fierotech:

Actually, *I* did the swap on Ed's car.

I should have expected that.

O/T...
BTW, Did you get my email, the other day?

Fierotech

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierotechClick Here to visit Fierotech's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierotechDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Raydar:O/T...
BTW, Did you get my email, the other day?

Yep, have heard nothing.
I'm up in Michigan right now (have been all weekend/last part of last week) and haven't much thought about it...but guess it's time to start making some calls.

Jer

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2003 01:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I've done the swap, too, and it doesn't require welding.

What I did was to "massage" the seam where the upper and lower halves of the new tank are joined together. Making this seam lie flat against the side of the tank allows you to use the original older style strap attachment points. One of the later straps works at the rear of the tank, but the one at the front needs a little fab work. That's no problem, it's really just a strip of metal. I used a piece of steel crate strap for it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock