Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Open filter element on 2.5, will it hurt performance?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Open filter element on 2.5, will it hurt performance? by Monza76
Started on: 05-20-2003 09:11 PM
Replies: 18
Last post by: Monza76 on 05-23-2003 07:53 PM
Monza76

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
I just made a cover for an open filter element from a spare air cleaner housing. My question is simple, will the higher under-hood temperatures reduce performance by much? I like the sound of the unsilenced open filter, and airflow is probably increased, however will the less dense hot air rob any potential gain?

I will post pictures of my work after I get it painted and installed, meanwhile let me know if you have tried this and what impact it had on performance. I still have a complete stock intake system, this experiment was performed on spare parts so it can be easily reversed.

Ira

------------------
The Iron Duke Resource Site

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 10:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post
I made an open element air cleaner for my '84 2.5. I had to make one in order for my SD valve cover to fit. Even though people will tell you that it is bad for performance, I haven't noticed any adverse effects. My intake is not stock though. I have the Holley TBI and Holley intake manifold. See pic.
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-20-2003 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, My cover looks very similar, I may cut down the lower section as well, although I will probably just leave it since I will not have the interference problem. Cold air is definitely better but so is greater airflow.

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Any one else have pictures of their open element filters?

I will pick up some paint today and have mine ready for later.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
Sorry about bumping my own post but I have an additional question. I once read that the biggest concern with most intake systems is that they are quiet, more engineering work goes into reducing intake noise than increasing airflow (except in the highest performance versions). The 2.5 air cleaner housing is basically borrowed from the X-car sedans, does that mean that this system may be restrictive in order to reduce noise? Does anyone have any more knowledge on this issue?
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 09:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
While I have never tried putting an open filter element on a Fiero; I have installed free flowing K&N Filter elements. I doubt if you will experience any ill effects with your new air filter and the less restrictive elelment may help.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 01:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Just installed the new cover, sure sounds nice. I doubt if there is any real performance advantage but the engine seems to rev a little more freely. Due to once owning a car with weak synchronizers I tend to double clutch on downshifts, the result sounds awesome. The car now has that sports car sound (not to be confused with the raspy "fast and Furious" sound).

I would still like to hear from others who have tried this to determine if there are any adverse effects I have not considered.

Ira

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 01:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post
I've ran into this also. However, due to the extra height of my intake setup, I think I'll be able to draw air from outside.

Using this highly accurate and scientific drawing I spent 2 minutes on, you may be able to see what I'm talking about.

I believe by enlarging the hole in my decklid then surrounding the bottom of the air cleaner with a sheetmetal plate that rises to meet the bottom of the decklid, I should be able to draw large amounts of nice, cool air.

The dark red is a mustang scoop I'm going to cut in half.

Anyway, enough of my crazy plans. There shouldn't be any significant decrease at all with running an open element.

------------------

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 02:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Cool FastIndyFiero (pun intended) I now have pictures of mine:

and

and finally (sorry about the poor lighting):

I do like the sound. I am still getting some cooler air from the stock snorkel which is still in place.

Ira

wuzzy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 04:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wuzzySend a Private Message to wuzzyDirect Link to This Post
what are you guys doing about the MAP sensor?
FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 05:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wuzzy:

I guess that's another thing I should mention...

No ECM...

However, I believe that given the position of the sensor, it won't matter anyway. (I'm not quite sure about that though, I've never seen a stock 4 cyl. intake. Excuse the ignerince )

------------------

PFF
System Bot
Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 06:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
wuzzy, looks like T-top Fiero has his attached to the dogbone (or thereabouts). I still have my stock lower housing so it is not an issue (not yet at least). I am now working on a more minimalist version with the Thermac removed but will probably leave the rest of the housing as is.

Ira

T-top Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for T-top FieroSend a Private Message to T-top FieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by wuzzy:

The MAP sensor on a stock air cleaner is merely mounted there. I have mine just setting loose between the intake manifold and the dogbone. I originally intended to make a mount for it out of some sheet aluminum, but I see no need for it now.

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 08:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Here is my first redesign, I put away my original aluminum coloured intake with red cover so that I can return everything to normal. I plugged the thermac vacuum line at the TBI and I removed the cold intake hose and put it away with the rst of the intake.

I cut the new intake so that it still covered the crankcase breather and then freshened the original black paint. (used a dremel and hacksaw to cut the intake). Here are soem pictures:

Here is an overhead shot, sorry about the Edelbrock sticker, I couldn't resist.

Here is where I cut it:

and finally here is a side view to show where it now ends:

The aftermarket plug wires (Wells) were too short to follow the original routing so I now have them over the top (well clear of exhaust manifold heat).

Thanks to all those who offered help.

Ira

P.S. Added bonus, sparkplugs are now accessable without removing air cleaner. The holly scoop now just pumps air into the engine compartment (probably just as useful as it was when attached to the intake). The sound is great and it does seem to have better throttle response.

The last time I tried this trick was on an early 80s S10 2.8L with a carb and four speed automatic. On that truck the difference was dramatic, with the stock intake it would pull away smartly with hardly a chirp from the tires, but with the cover opened up it would howl the right side tire very easily.

[This message has been edited by Monza76 (edited 05-21-2003).]

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 12:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
^ any comments?
qwikgta

Feedback score:    (21)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for qwikgtaSend a Private Message to qwikgtaDirect Link to This Post

88 intake for sale, polished. $40.00

FastIndyFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FastIndyFieroClick Here to visit FastIndyFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to FastIndyFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by qwikgta:

That looks amazingly similar to my engine. Same push-on cover breather, same size breather, same silver valve cover. Heck, same PCV valve too...

I wish I had new pics of my engine. I've cleaned it up a lot since I took the ones in my sig.

------------------

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 01:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks for the input guys, the fact that there have been no negative comments leads me to conclude that none of you have had any problems with this setup. I really like the sound, the only problem is that I discovered a missing bolt in the exhaust system so until it is replaced there is a little harshness to the exhaust note which drowns out the intake sound.

Three things I want in asports car:
- fun to drive (=handling)
- looks good
- sounds right (the deep burble rather than the raspy sound of the import tuner exhausts)

Ira

Monza76

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post

Monza76

1298 posts
Member since Jul 2002
My next step will be to order a K&N filter from the local Canadian Tire, that should complete this part of the project.

The next project will involve suspension upgrades.

Ira

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock