Paint car w/spray paint cans? by DavidStremer
Started on: 09-06-2003 10:25 AM
Replies: 18
Last post by: SeattleRedFormula on 09-07-2003 11:01 PM
DavidStremer

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 10:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DavidStremerSend a Private Message to DavidStremerDirect Link to This Post
Seems as if this is a wierd question, but I must pose it none the less.
I am pretty good at touching up damaged areas w/paint spray cans, so........I was thinking about painting the entire Fiero with spray cans.

HAS ANYONE DONE A FIERO W/SPRAY CANS? HOW DID THE CAR LOOK WHEN YOU WERE FINISHED? APPROXIMATELY, HOW MANY CANS WERE NEEDED FOR THE JOB?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 12:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post
Here is some really good information on your topic.
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/037504.html

My answer would be a resounding "No!" Small areas are best, not whole panels.

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post
I can speak on this subject. Now I started with a Maroon car with a White Nose, Hood, & Drivers fender. I installed a gold F355 nose facia and went one color. The Fender looks ok but the hood and nose leave a lot to be desired. However the one thing I can and will say in my defense, the car is one shade now not maroon & white.

here is a link to the pic's
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/033275.html

------------------
87 2M4 5 spd Daily Driver Project 2m$
86 SE Needs every thing but a Motor & Sunroof Seal!!! Now for Sale! $1200.00
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Web Master
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.com

prtzlboy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 04:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for prtzlboySend a Private Message to prtzlboyDirect Link to This Post
I wouldn't bother. There's no reason to ever have to resort to bomb-canning a fiero. If you have different color body panels, just wait until you have enough money to paint it right. It's not going to rust or anything, and in my opinion dull, crappy bomb can paint looks cornier than different colored panels. And you'll have to sand it all off if you want to paint it correct anyway.
Kento

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 05:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by prtzlboy:

I wouldn't bother. There's no reason to ever have to resort to bomb-canning a fiero. If you have different color body panels, just wait until you have enough money to paint it right. It's not going to rust or anything, and in my opinion dull, crappy bomb can paint looks cornier than different colored panels. And you'll have to sand it all off if you want to paint it correct anyway.

I checked with my Painter and he said the paint i was using would not need to be sanded off when he goes to do the good paint job. I just did not want to drive around with a maroon car, White hood/fender and a gold F355 nose. Would I do it again, most likely not. I would have let me paint guy shot the hood & nose off the car and then the fender. I will be changing colors when I get the whole car done anyhow. I would not encourage anyone to do a full car with rattle cans.

------------------
87 2M4 5 spd Daily Driver Project 2m$
86 SE Needs every thing but a Motor & Sunroof Seal!!! Now for Sale! $1200.00
http://home.cfl.rr.com/fierose
Web Master
Central Florida Fieros
http://www.centralfloridafieros.com

I'm Back

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 06:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I'm BackSend a Private Message to I'm BackDirect Link to This Post
"Paint car w/spray paint cans?"

For the cost of the paint, you could Earl Schieb it. Can paints don't go on that thick. Plus, they never seem to hold up to the UV's the way conventional auto paint does.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 08:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Most 'real' auto paints wont go over spray can paint without, cracking, lifting, or bubbling like stripper. Your painter 'might' be able to paint over it if he uses 'straight' enamel, but any basecoat/clearcoat wont. Not worth the risk, its hard to sand off a whole spray can job. Ive done it before and it costs more in time than a decent paint job would have been in the first place.
fierofetish

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 277
User Banned

Report this Post09-06-2003 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofetishSend a Private Message to fierofetishDirect Link to This Post
I go along with every comment against!!!Spraycan paint is 90% thinners, and very incompatible with the "proper" stuff!!You would have to spray something like 30 coats to get a decent buildup of paint, and if not, you would rub through it with ordinary polish, let alone cutting compound!!Colours vary enormously between cans as well; you would have to find 60 cans all with the same lot number, and even then there is no guarantee they would match, and finally, on other than horizontal areas, you would have runs galore all over the place!! You would probably get a better result using a roller and household paint(lol!!)
Fierofetish
DavidStremer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 09:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DavidStremerSend a Private Message to DavidStremerDirect Link to This Post
"Earl Schieb"? is that a discount body/paint shop in your area??
Fieros_Forever

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2003 10:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Fieros_ForeverSend a Private Message to Fieros_ForeverDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierofetish:

.........You would probably get a better result using a roller and household paint(lol!!)
Fierofetish

Believe it or not, there is/was a 1989 Pontiac Boneville sitting on the back lot for sale at a local car dealership where I buy my used cars, that HAD been painted with a roller and house paint. They had painted it this deep flat grey color, and you could see the texture marks from the roller. They had even painted over all of the emblems.

It said it ran great, and this fellow is as honest as the day is long so I'm sure that it does.

I was actually going to test drive it and if I liked it, buy it, sand it down and do my first paint job on it. I scratched one of the emblems with my fingernail and the paint came off of the chrome, so a few DAYS with an air sander and it would be ready for primer.

I told myself that would be part of my bonus check, which was supposed to come in the mail today, but didn't. It was not there when I went this morning to drive it, so I don't know if it was sold or if someone was just test driving it.

I still may purchase it if it shows back up Monday.

Someone was just too cheap to spend money on a decent paint job, and ruined a good car with a roller and house paint. I mean this paint job was UGLY!

-FF

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:

I checked with my Painter and he said the paint i was using would not need to be sanded off when he goes to do the good paint job.

I'd get a new painter. Spray bomb paint should never be used as a base for a new paint job. It's most likely lacquer paint and there is a good chance that 'quality' paint like poly-urethane will wrinkle the old paint. Do you want to take that chance? I certainly would not, not even with my own car. But, then again, I'd never use a spray bomb to paint more than a small area on my mother-in-law's car.

Mark the painter

PFF
System Bot
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 12:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieros_Forever:
I mean this paint job was UGLY!

-FF

I would love even a UGLY paint job... But, It still not ready for paint..
Dang it Smooth, GET FINISHED!!

SmoothGT!!

------------------

I'm Back

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 12:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for I'm BackSend a Private Message to I'm BackDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by DavidStremer:

"Earl Schieb"? is that a discount body/paint shop in your area??

Yea, they must be West Coast only then. I thought they were national. It's a chain of cheapo paint job places. They used to do any car for $99.95 - now they're a bit more.

rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 01:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
they had 2 of them here. I remember when they were $19.95 believe it or not. All over, including your painted rims.
Whuffo

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 154
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WhuffoClick Here to visit Whuffo's HomePageSend a Private Message to WhuffoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

they had 2 of them here. I remember when they were $19.95 believe it or not. All over, including your painted rims.

Leave the windows down and they'll do the interior for free...

Firefox

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 240
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 10:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FirefoxSend a Private Message to FirefoxDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rogergarrison:

We had 3 here in Milwaukee until about 10 years ago. I actually had a car painted by them when it was $89.95....a 1976 Pontiac Grand Prix. It wasn't too bad. I did all of the body work and removed everything I could so the 'painters' didn't have to mask much....just the glass and the half vinyl top. For less than $100, it wasn't bad.

Mark the Earl Sheib supporter

DJRice

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 55
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 11:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DJRiceSend a Private Message to DJRiceDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Fieros_Forever:

I was actually going to test drive it and if I liked it, buy it, sand it down and do my first paint job on it. I scratched one of the emblems with my fingernail and the paint came off of the chrome, so a few DAYS with an air sander and it would be ready for primer.

-FF

Sand it? I bet you could just pressure wash it and blow the paint off.

85GTGUY

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85GTGUYSend a Private Message to 85GTGUYDirect Link to This Post
We had a car come into the shop where I work, it was a 76 LTD station wagon. It was painted a sort of dark green, with a paint brush. You could see all the brush strokes and there were bristles in the paint all over. It was awesome. What was amazing is the guy had us do over $800 in brake work. And the car ran so bad it was all it could do to drive up the ramp onto the rack. It was truely a gem.
SeattleRedFormula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2003 11:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeattleRedFormulaSend a Private Message to SeattleRedFormulaDirect Link to This Post
Hey--I'll date myself here--Earl Scheib used to paint cars for $29.95 and you got what you paid for back then, too.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock