Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  which oil pump, 3.1 stock or 2.8 hi vol?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

which oil pump, 3.1 stock or 2.8 hi vol? by chameleogaz
Started on: 08-31-2003 03:26 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: jstricker on 09-02-2003 12:21 AM
chameleogaz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for chameleogazSend a Private Message to chameleogazDirect Link to This Post
Hi again,

So I'm continuing the conversion to a 3.1 engine. Before I decided to do the 3.1 conversion, I bought a high volume oil pump from the fierostore. What would be better to use on the 3.1 engine, a stock 3.1 oil pump or a 2.8 high volume pump?

I'm not sure if the oil pumps are different since the 2.8's and 3.1's are pretty much the same engine, just a different stroke length. I'm considering opening up the pumps to compare impeller sizes, but before I do that I want to check and see if anyone here is able to help me with this.

Thanks

-Jeff

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
chameleogaz

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for chameleogazSend a Private Message to chameleogazDirect Link to This Post
bump...

I've been doing more research and haven't been able to find out much other than that the high volume oil pump I bought for the 2.8L engine is a Melling M-95HV and I think the stock 3.1 oil pump is a GL 13 (that's one of the things it says on the side of it). I'm trying to find flow rates or some sort of information on both of these pumps but nothing's turned up yet. Tomorrow I'm going to take the oil pan off my old 2.8 engine and look at that oil pump, maybe it'll turn out to be a GL13 as well.

-Jeff

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post09-02-2003 12:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
Use the Mellings, you won't regret it.

John Stricker

Originally posted by chameleogaz:

bump...

I've been doing more research and haven't been able to find out much other than that the high volume oil pump I bought for the 2.8L engine is a Melling M-95HV and I think the stock 3.1 oil pump is a GL 13 (that's one of the things it says on the side of it). I'm trying to find flow rates or some sort of information on both of these pumps but nothing's turned up yet. Tomorrow I'm going to take the oil pan off my old 2.8 engine and look at that oil pump, maybe it'll turn out to be a GL13 as well.

-Jeff

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock