Weird headlight problem... by Taedir
Started on: 08-28-2003 10:33 AM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Taedir on 08-30-2003 11:09 PM
Taedir

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 10:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
Well at long last I bought and installed a brand new GM headlight motor for my '86 GT. Here's the weird part; switch on, right motor goes down, switch off, right motor goes up?!?! Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm sick of winking at people!
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Fiero STS

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 10:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Fiero STSSend a Private Message to Fiero STSDirect Link to This Post
Sounds like you have the wrong relay on right side. try changing it with the left side and see if problem fallows if it does you need a new relay.
Taedir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 12:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
Nope, old motor went up and down correctly with the same relay.
revmikehill

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 12:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for revmikehillSend a Private Message to revmikehillDirect Link to This Post
Reversed wires...
Taedir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 02:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
Reversed what wires? The only ones that plug in are keyed so you can't put them in the wrong side or even backwards!
daved

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 03:35 PM Click Here to See the Profile for davedClick Here to visit daved's HomePageSend a Private Message to davedDirect Link to This Post
I suppose it is possible that the factory could have reversed the wiring to the brushes inside the motor. That would be the only explanation I can see.
You could run wires temporarily from the other headlight motor connector just to prove that it is not your wiring...then take it back!
Dave
Taedir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-28-2003 03:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
That doesn't sound like fun. Any other ideas? I've heard that if the magnet inside is flipped 180 that the motor will run backwards. If all else fails I'll crack the case and flip the motor over but I have a hard time believing that the factory would install that backwards.
Taedir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 09:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
Bump ^^^^^
dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 12:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taedir:
That doesn't sound like fun. Any other ideas? I've heard that if the magnet inside is flipped 180 that the motor will run backwards.

I can verify that. I accidentally flipped the magnet during a rebuild, and had a perpetually winking car until I corrected it.

If all else fails I'll crack the case and flip the motor over but I have a hard time believing that the factory would install that backwards.

I'd be hesitant about tampering with the innards of a new motor before checking with the retailer's return policy. If they accept returns of electrical parts after installation (many places don't), it may be worthwhile to exchange the backward motor for a new one.

------------------
-d.

1985 2M6 SE
1998 Suzuki VZ800 Marauder
1968 Mustang (long-term project)
1988 VW Jetta (winter beater)
1991 Arctic Cat 550 EXT
...a toy for every season. ;D

Ratings don't make the world go 'round, but they are nice to have. If you find what I have to say helpful, please click on that Rate this member link over to the left and give me a positive.

Kento

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 131
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KentoSend a Private Message to KentoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Taedir:

Well at long last I bought and installed a brand new GM headlight motor for my '86 GT. Here's the weird part; switch on, right motor goes down, switch off, right motor goes up?!?! Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm sick of winking at people!

Did you get a Fiero Motor or did you get a FIREBIRD motor??? they are the same motors only reversed. ie.. The Left FB one fits the Right side on the Fiero. That may be what is happening.

Joe

dguy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 01:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Kento:
Did you get a Fiero Motor or did you get a FIREBIRD motor??? they are the same motors only reversed. ie.. The Left FB one fits the Right side on the Fiero. That may be what is happening.

Dammit, I knew there was something else that I was trying to remember, but couldn't!

PFF
System Bot
Taedir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-29-2003 01:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
I bought it here from a guy in PFA. He gave me the part number, let me dig it out and see if it isn't for a firebird. One sec...

link to auction: https://www.fiero.nl/cgi-bin/auctions/pfa.cgi?action=viewhistory&mode=2333GVECD23Z2_2Y0-Z,cVRSNE

Part number on motor: 5045863

Taedir

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-30-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TaedirSend a Private Message to TaedirDirect Link to This Post
Well, upon closer inspection it turns out that the motor is not new, but rebuilt. Badly. The magnet was in fact, backwards. I can only hope that the seller didnt know it was not new.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock