Replace the 2.5 with a 3.1??? by weldon
Started on: 08-21-2003 10:29 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: Mick on 08-26-2003 04:36 PM
weldon

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 10:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weldonClick Here to visit weldon's HomePageSend a Private Message to weldonDirect Link to This Post
I have an 88 2.5 coupe auto, with a blown engine. I found a wrecked 92 chevy Lumina with a 3.1, and it has a 3 speed auto. The 3.1 runs real good, and I can get the whole car cheap. The intake maifold has 3.1 multi port F.I. on it. I would like to know if this would be a hard swap? Are there any "how to" threads or sites? I've been looking in the archives, but havn't found much, alot of 2.8 to 3.1 stuff. Any help would be great! Weldon.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post08-21-2003 10:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
This is about the easiest 4cyl to V6 swap I can think of. The 3.1 is almost exactly the same engine as the 2.8 so if you wanna do a 4cyl to V6, THIS IS THE ONE. You'll need all the wiring, ecm engine associated with a v6. If you have all the wiring and ecm then it is THE swap for you. Good luck.

Remember that for a little more you can put a 3.4 engine SOHC with about 180HP I believe and only minor changes to the installation. LUCK...........

Phil

------------------
87 FIERO GT 2.8 5spd
0-60 in 6.8 seconds!
87 FIERO CPE 2.5 5spd
86 FIERO SE 2.5 AUTO
87 FIERO GT 2.8 4SPD
84 FIERO SE 2.5 4SPD
If you found my advice helpful, please take the time to give me a positive rating. Thanks

weldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 12:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for weldonClick Here to visit weldon's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
Now thats what I wanted to hear!!! Will the engine and tranny bolt right up to my cradle? How do I find out how to wire the ecm to my car? What about the fuel pump, exhaust, and anything else I might need to know before doing this swap. Do you know the H.P rating on the 3.1? I'm working on a tight budget, so I think this might be the perfect swap for me.
Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-22-2003 07:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
I have been looking at your other thread, too.
There is a chance that the tranny is a 4T60. Not altogether a bad thing, but it will require some drilling on the cradle. Maybe even a bit more for an 88.
The 3.1 is an aluminum head engine. None of the Fiero ECM or plumbing will work. It will will require a bit of engineering. You'll have to fabricate a couple of brackets for pulleys, I think. Also the exhaust will have to be fabricated. The Fiero system exits to the front, then under the car. The Lumina (I believe) exits to the rear.
Not to discourage you, but it's not exactly the "drop in" that you are expecting.
Joe Torma did a swap of a similar engine. Try doing a search on his user name.
Now if you can find an iron-head 3.1 out of an early minivan, you'll be set.

------------------
Raydar

88 3.4 coupe. 17s, cut springs 'n all.

[This message has been edited by Raydar (edited 08-22-2003).]

RockChip

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2003 04:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RockChipSend a Private Message to RockChipDirect Link to This Post
The 3.1l you are talking about is the same one I used in my car. It will bolt to your trany, but if you are using an automatic I would swap to the four speed auto. You will need to make a new rear dog bone mount I will be mounting mine from the back of the block to the rear part of the cradle. And there are a bunch of dumb little things that you will have to change like; heater hoses, throtle cables, power steering idler, ETC.
The wiring is fairly simple if you have some minor expierence with electronics and understand the basics of fuel injection. I would recomend this engine over any iron head 60degree v6 (2.8, 3.1, 3.4) It is much more efficient and has alot more power potentiel.

GTDUDE-There never was a 3.4 sohc made. Do you mean OHV?

------------------
'69 AMC Ambassador sst 2dr hardtop 390ci 3 spd B&m shift kit-the cruiser(315hp/427ftlbs)
'86 Fiero GT 4spd, aluminum head 3.1, vented rear brakes, K&N filter and custom intake piping, Cavalier seats-got a T3 turbo just need some time
'69 AMC Ambassador sst 2dr hardtop 390ci 3 spd B&m shift kit(315hp/427ftlbs)
'93 Cavalier Z24 5 spd (engine donor)-parting out
'82 Yamaha Heritage Special 400cc 6 spd, hi-flo exhaust and air filters-For Sale to buy more Fiero stuff

Monza76

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post08-23-2003 05:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Don't forget the fuel pump, the V6s with port injection need much higher fuel pressure than the TBI four cylinder. Just get a pump for a 2.8 Fiero (or possibly even the one in the Lumina) and it should work OK. The 3.1 may actually be a few pounds lighter than the iron head 2.8 and will have a little more torque, perfect for an automatic.

No engine swap is easy (unless the engines are physically identical in terms of mounts etc.) but this is probably the 4 to 6 swap with the least fabrication. Mounts and exhaust system. along with the necessary electronics, are the biggest hurdles. Having the complete donor car will make it much easier. I am still keeping an eye out for a rusted out Beretta GTZ selling cheap, that would give me a complete Quad 4 package along with some really nice 16" wheels.

Ira

weldon

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-25-2003 11:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for weldonClick Here to visit weldon's HomePageSend a Private Message to weldonDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the replies, I went to look at the Lumina again, but it was sold. Weldon.
John Boelte

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2003 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for John BoelteSend a Private Message to John BoelteDirect Link to This Post
jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2003 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Nice choice in a swap.

I have been thinking of swapping a complete 3.1 into my wife's 85. Of course I will use the 3.1's aluminum heads and intake, I think this will be a much better performer than a Fiero 2.8, or a 3.1 with the cast heads and Fiero intake.

I found a fairly low mile 3.1 Sunbird yesterday, I can get the engine, harness, ECM and what ever I want for 400 bux.......mmm, let the swap begin!

Mick

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-26-2003 04:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MickClick Here to visit Mick's HomePageSend a Private Message to MickDirect Link to This Post
IMO, you would be better off with a newer GEN III aluminum head 60V6, if you really want to use the aluminum head v6 application in a Fiero.

GM started to use the GEN III 60V6 in 1995, and still uses them today in the bulk of its FWD platforms (W-body, N-body, minivans, etc). What this means is that there is an enormous supply of low mileage GEN III's available in salvage yards across the country, and this huge supply has pushed the cost of these motors down to where it seems almost ridiculous. Ultra low mileage (< 15k mile) GEN III motors can easily be found for $150-$300 (3100) to $250-$400 (3400).
The 3400 is preferable:
3400 LA1 GEN III Specs

I prefer to use the OBDI PCM's from the 89-93 MPFI 3.1 V6 to control the GEN III's, rather than the originally PCM, since they are pretty much all OBDII.
Using the OBDI PCM (1227730, 1227727, or 16149396) gives you much more tuning potential than the OBDII, and even provides an inexpensive forced induction alternative (i.e. Turbo Grand Prix 1227727).
For example, recalibrating the OBDI code to work with the Fiero tran’s speed sensor is just a matter of a few mouse clicks using the software I developed – GMPCM along with a small investment in equipment (e.g. eprom burner or emulator).

Aluminum heads used on the GEN II and GEN III 60V6 provide a significant weight reduction and much improved thermodynamics.
According to the GM Performance Parts catalog, when compared to GEN II aluminum heads, "the GEN III heads offers a flow improvement of 16.7% at 0.450" of valve lift. The exhaust port has been reshaped into a “D” port configuration for a flow improvement of 31.7% at 0.450" of valve lift". Either one of these aluminum heads make the function of doorstop seem like a more appropriate use for an iron head. The increased exhaust port flow of the GEN III head offers a very significant advantage when boost is added to the equation.

There were many improvements throughout the years that also make the GEN III 3100/3400 60V6 an excellent candidate for aftermarket forced induction, such as the 981 crank secured with cross bolted powder metal main caps (GEN III caps are cross-bolted on each side to its reinforced aluminum oil pan, the advantage of this should be obvious). The oil pan also features an integrated windage tray.
GM increased the operating range of the GEN III to 6000 rpm by using a full roller valve train, an improved oiling system, and a distributorless ignition that powers 3 high energy coils.

Adding a turbocharger to a GEN III 60V6 Fiero swap is probably the least expensive DIY forced induction you will find. It only costs me about $50 to mount a turbo to a GEN III motor in a Fiero, and the mounting system I use does not even require welding.
The exhaust system after the turbo will need to be a custom weld-up.

------------------
88 Fiero Formula 5-spd
Turbocharged / Intercooled 99' 3100 VIN M

[This message has been edited by Mick (edited 08-26-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock