Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How Can I Get Pontiac to Honor Safety Recall?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How Can I Get Pontiac to Honor Safety Recall? by ralpy
Started on: 08-11-2003 10:37 PM
Replies: 12
Last post by: Mickey_Moose on 08-19-2003 09:07 AM
ralpy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 10:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ralpySend a Private Message to ralpyDirect Link to This Post
I have discovered that my '84 has not had Safety Campaign 88-C-23 done yet. This campaign would have installed a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and engine block, new exhaust manifold, relocated dipstick and tube and other obvious things.

When I called Pontiac they said:

1st
My car was not included in this campaign. I checked the NHTSA web site and it was.

2nd (after telling me it was not included)
They changed their story and said the campaign had already been done. Clearly it has not been done.

I need advice on getting Pontiac to honor this safety recall.

The recall notice to dealers stated, "Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle or ownership, from this time forward".

To anyone with a 2.5L, this recall covered all years of the Fiero. You can get a copy of this and other recalls on the Michigan Fiero Club's web site. The address is: www.michiganfieroclub.org/index.html

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
1985FieroGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 296
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 10:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 1985FieroGTSend a Private Message to 1985FieroGTDirect Link to This Post
I don't know how far your willing to go, but you can get a Lawyer. But for the price of the lawyer you can buy the parts off here for $50 25X over, and do it yourself.
Electrathon

Feedback score:    (39)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 254
Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 10:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ElectrathonClick Here to visit Electrathon's HomePageSend a Private Message to ElectrathonDirect Link to This Post
If you want Pontiac to pay for this you need to contact Pontiac, NOT the dealer. The life of the recall expired long long age, here is the quote from the NHTSA.

Are There Any Limitations on My Right to Have My Vehicle Remedied at No Charge?

Yes. A limitation pertains to the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for remedy at no cost, the vehicle cannot be more than 8 years old on the date the defect or non-compliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser.

Here is the link to thier site: http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/hotline/recallprocess.html#Are%20There%20Any%20Limitations%20on%20My%20Right%20to%20Have%20My%20Vehicle%20Remedied%20at%20No%20Charge?

Pontiac does often do these out of GOOD WILL, keep that in mind when you are talking to them. Be polite and likely they will step up for it. Remember that these cars are so old there are often no longer parts even available to do the recall even if they wanted too. You may think Pontiac owes you something for nothing, but the law says they don't. BE POLITE and talk to them, it often does work.

ralpy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-11-2003 11:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ralpySend a Private Message to ralpyDirect Link to This Post
I spoke with GM customer assistance today, we had a pleasant discussion about the recall. They are researching it and promised to call me back tomorrow. I thought it would be nice if I could get them to change the install the manifold heat shield and/updated manifold. From the looks of the bolts, the next person to do any exhaust work is going to break some off (rather it be them than me). At least I would like to get the oil dip stick and tube relocated. The original gets so hot it burns oil on it about half way up.
87GTZ34

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTZ34Send a Private Message to 87GTZ34Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by ralpy:

I have discovered that my '84 has not had Safety Campaign 88-C-23 done yet. This campaign would have installed a heat shield between the exhaust manifold and engine block, new exhaust manifold, relocated dipstick and tube and other obvious things.

When I called Pontiac they said:

1st
My car was not included in this campaign. I checked the NHTSA web site and it was.

2nd (after telling me it was not included)
They changed their story and said the campaign had already been done. Clearly it has not been done.

I need advice on getting Pontiac to honor this safety recall.

The recall notice to dealers stated, "Dealers are to service all vehicles subject to this campaign at no charge to owners, regardless of mileage, age of vehicle or ownership, from this time forward".

To anyone with a 2.5L, this recall covered all years of the Fiero. You can get a copy of this and other recalls on the Michigan Fiero Club's web site. The address is: www.michiganfieroclub.org/index.html

Contact either your state attorney general's consumer affairs division or NHTSA or both. They'd be happy to help you out... it's their job and they enjoy doing it. Actually, that is probably what GM is looking into.

Jdlog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-12-2003 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for JdlogSend a Private Message to JdlogDirect Link to This Post
My car does not have the recall stickers (though it seems some of the stuff was done). When I called they said they would notify me if there was anything outstanding for my car.

They were very nice and polite about the whole thing. I was very nice, polite and firm in at least getting a case/report #. I proceeded to document everything for future reference...hopefully not needed.

Good luck!
Benno

ralpy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2003 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ralpySend a Private Message to ralpyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Electrathon:

If you want Pontiac to pay for this you need to contact Pontiac, NOT the dealer. The life of the recall expired long long age, here is the quote from the NHTSA.

Are There Any Limitations on My Right to Have My Vehicle Remedied at No Charge?

Yes. A limitation pertains to the age of the vehicle. In order to be eligible for remedy at no cost, the vehicle cannot be more than 8 years old on the date the defect or non-compliance is determined. Under the law, the age of the vehicle is calculated from the date of sale to the first purchaser.

Here is the link to thier site: http://www.nhts a.dot.gov/hotline/recallprocess.html#Are%20There%20Any%20Limitations%20on%20My%20Right%20to%20Have%20My%20Vehicle%20Remedied%20at%20No%20Charge?

Pontiac does often do these out of GOOD WILL, keep that in mind when you are talking to them. Be polite and likely they will step up for it. Remember that these cars are so old there are often no longer parts even available to do the recall even if they wanted too. You may think Pontiac owes you something for nothing, but the law says they don't. BE POLITE and talk to them, it often does work.

I read the above referenced limitation at website given. It would not apply in this case. The Safety Recall was issued in late 1989 or early 1990. The vehicle was only 5 or 6 years old at that time. The disqualification, "the vehicle cannot be more than 8 years old on the date the defect or non-compliance is determined", would not apply. I hope Pontiac will perform the recall work. I would feel better about driving the car knowing this source of possible fire has been eliminated.

Bruce

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2003 07:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BruceSend a Private Message to BruceDirect Link to This Post
Check Ogre's Cave, under "recalls." I'm pretty sure that the recall is an open ended requirement of the manufacture. I bought my '86GT in 1998, and had the recall work done without any questions.
Just be patient and persistent!
b
85 Fiero 3.1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2003 07:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85 Fiero 3.1Send a Private Message to 85 Fiero 3.1Direct Link to This Post
I looked at the michigan site and there are 2 recalls that apply to my car, how do I know if it has been done or not. Would the dealer know if it has been done or not by punching the vin into their computers?
ralpy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2003 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ralpySend a Private Message to ralpyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 85 Fiero 3.1:

I looked at the michigan site and there are 2 recalls that apply to my car, how do I know if it has been done or not. Would the dealer know if it has been done or not by punching the vin into their computers?

I did not have any luck giving local dealers or Pontiac Customer Service my VIN number. It did not show any open recalls on my car. I suspect that a dealer collected for the recall work and did not do the work. That would explain why my car does not come up with an open-recall in their computers. The components that should have been installed are not there, and there is no reason anyone would have removed them.

LZeitgeist

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post08-13-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LZeitgeistSend a Private Message to LZeitgeistDirect Link to This Post
I seem to recall reading somewhere a couple years back that Pontiac purged their computers of all Fiero-related recall information.. so that means that ALL of our cars would show up as either having the recall done, or not having anything listed... I forget where I read this, so I can't swear by it.

------------------
Patrick W. Heinske -- LZeitgeist@aol.com -- 1988 Red Fiero Formula
- 1st Place - Stock Coupe - FOCOSEVA 2000
- 3rd Place - Stock Formula - FOCOA Nat'l 2001
- Class Winner - 1982 to Present - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2001
- Class Winner - Fiero: All Years - Tarheel Tigers All-Pontiac Show 2002
(working on an Automoda convertible conversion...)

PFF
System Bot
ralpy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-18-2003 08:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ralpySend a Private Message to ralpyDirect Link to This Post
Updating this thread.
GM Customer Assistance is like talking to a stone wall. They want me to take the car to a dealer and pay the dealer to tell me the car is not covered.

ALL '84's were included in this recall.

This recall has NOT been done.

I guess all that left is to contact every State and Federal agency I can find (excluding the NHTSA, they will not/can not enforce their own rulings).

Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 143
Rate this member

Report this Post08-19-2003 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
I walked into a local Pontiac dealer last week with the VIN for an 86 and it had 2 outstanding recalls left (parking brake and the B pillar one). They said to just bring in the car and they will have a look at it, he said that they could promise anything due to the availability of the parts, but they will try (to bad the car is, for most purposes, dead and awaiting an engine swap) or it would be there right now.

Tim

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock