It's PAINTED!!! by FieroV6Dude
Started on: 07-29-2003 04:37 AM
Replies: 34
Last post by: Raydar on 08-16-2003 11:38 AM
FieroV6Dude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 04:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post
I finally have it done!!! I'm not so sure I'd recommend anyone doing BLACK for their first basecoat/clearcoat paint job but it did come out REAL well!!

Thanks to Roger for some helpful tips!

and the other side...

More pics of it at www.picturetrail.com/sjprowler
------------------
Plastic's Fantastic...

[This message has been edited by FieroV6Dude (edited 07-29-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
tesmith66

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 135
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 05:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for tesmith66Send a Private Message to tesmith66Direct Link to This Post
AWESOME!!!

Now I know how mine will look. Mine is a twin of yours, except I'm stuffing a V8 in.

I was thinking about wheels similar to that, too. You have been reading my mind...

------------------

Earl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 05:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for EarlSend a Private Message to EarlDirect Link to This Post
Nice!!
1MohrFiero

Feedback score:    (37)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 157
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 1MohrFieroSend a Private Message to 1MohrFieroDirect Link to This Post
Sweet! Looks brand new.

------------------

Dwayne Mohr
84 SC Red
87 GT 5sp Silver
(Formerly FieroSoul member since 2001)

exoticse

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 08:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

Amazing ! I will definatly be hitting you up for some pointers.

MiZer

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 211
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MiZerSend a Private Message to MiZerDirect Link to This Post
thats a thing of beauty.

------------------

RacinRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 09:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RacinRobClick Here to visit RacinRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to RacinRobDirect Link to This Post
Looks Great!
rio

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 11:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rioSend a Private Message to rioDirect Link to This Post
Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 11:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Very Nice. I cant wait till I get mine painted. That looks so good. It looks like a new car.

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd MSD Everything, Big Cam, No Cat and Nitrous. Nawzz babeee!!!!
www.david.westcoastfieros.com

fierogt3

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 11:40 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogt3Send a Private Message to fierogt3Direct Link to This Post
Beautiful, I was thinking of going with a more "stand out" color with my black/silver GT but now I'm thinking of all black. Black is a bad color to start painting with but the good thing about the Fiero is that they dont ding.

Wheels also look great with the new paint.

[This message has been edited by fierogt3 (edited 07-29-2003).]

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 03:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroV6Dude:

I finally have it done!!! I'm not so sure I'd recommend anyone doing BLACK for their first basecoat/clearcoat paint job but it did come out REAL well!!

Thanks to Roger for some helpful tips!

and the other side...

More pics of it at www.picturetrail.com/sjprowler

Any tips? I have to do an 85GT in black BC/CC.

PFF
System Bot
jubjub2m6

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 137
User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2003 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jubjub2m6Click Here to visit jubjub2m6's HomePageSend a Private Message to jubjub2m6Direct Link to This Post
wow thats a sweet lookin car? are ya gonna tint the windows dark dark? that would look totally sweet then
FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by jubjub2m6:

wow thats a sweet lookin car? are ya gonna tint the windows dark dark? that would look totally sweet then

Unfortunately here in Michigan that is one of the things they LOVE to pull you over for. I don't need extra help in attracting the law... :-)

Glenn

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 04:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

FieroV6Dude

205 posts
Member since May 2002
TK,

Yes... some very helpful tips...

Use plenty of clear coat, at least 2 good coats, then search on google for "color sanding" There's a great site that explains it in detail.

I used 1500 and 2000 grit paper, soaked it in a bucket of water with dish soap in it.

I sanded the entire car with 1500 just to the point where orangepeel from sanding disappeared. (You couldn't see or feel any before but trust me it's there.) When the dots were about the size of a pinhead I switched to the 2000 grit and sanded the opposite direction until they disappeared.

I then used a wool buffing wheel with 3M Imperial Microfinishing compound at about 2000 RPM until the sanding haze was gone.

I followed with a Mequiars foam glazing pad at 12-1400 rpm using 3M Imperial Machine Glaze until I had a high gloss.

Finally I finished up with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

Seriously the pictures don't do it justice at all, I was shocked that *I* could create a finish like this.

I used DuPont Chroma Base and HC-7600 ChromaClear. The HC-7600 is NOT recommended for overall paint jobs, it cures too fast and you end up with dry lines. I had all the panels off the car so I didn't have a problem. I did have to walk around the car a lot while painting the roof to avoid dry line problems though.

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

FieroV6Dude

205 posts
Member since May 2002
Here's a couple more pics that might show it better...

or

Thanks for the compliments guys, It was a few frustrating weeks but it paid off!!

Glenn

[This message has been edited by FieroV6Dude (edited 07-29-2003).]

MXRose3

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 04:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MXRose3Send a Private Message to MXRose3Direct Link to This Post
beautiful!! what size wheels are those?
FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 06:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post
17x8 with 215 45 ZR17's in front and 225 45's in the rear, Bridgestone Pontenza's. I highly recommend them.

I don't have any problems with rubbing anywhere and the car has been lowered 2".

Glenn

stuartlowery

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 71
User Banned

Report this Post07-29-2003 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stuartloweryClick Here to visit stuartlowery's HomePageSend a Private Message to stuartloweryDirect Link to This Post
Why is the Front piece always look more dull than the rest of the car in all the pics I've seen of fieros? is it just the angles or is there something else to it?

I think the only one that I've seen with a shiney finish that matched was SkiTimes. I'm not 100% sure though.

Dangerkitty

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DangerkittySend a Private Message to DangerkittyDirect Link to This Post
What a great paint job!
It looks so rich and deep!
It is like a mirror but more like a wet lake of black.
It is almost like you could go swimming in it.

You took the parts off of it?
How hard was that?
How do you control overspray?
Did you paint the inside of doorjams?
Did you paint the headlight assemblys?

Man, you really did great!
Wow, you have my admiration!
Can you do mine?

dk

------------------
Dangerkitty "on the prowl"
Maroon 87 GT automatic, loaded, now with "sparkle wheels"

KRuzn MAchines

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 84
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KRuzn MAchinesSend a Private Message to KRuzn MAchinesDirect Link to This Post
FieroV6Dude, you have a pm!

Kruz

TM_Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TM_FieroSend a Private Message to TM_FieroDirect Link to This Post
Wow! Simply beautiful. Black notchies are my favorite

------------------
TM_Fiero

Fiero Formula Online

PFF
System Bot
TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by FieroV6Dude:

TK,

Yes... some very helpful tips...

Use plenty of clear coat, at least 2 good coats, then search on google for "color sanding" There's a great site that explains it in detail.

I used 1500 and 2000 grit paper, soaked it in a bucket of water with dish soap in it.

I sanded the entire car with 1500 just to the point where orangepeel from sanding disappeared. (You couldn't see or feel any before but trust me it's there.) When the dots were about the size of a pinhead I switched to the 2000 grit and sanded the opposite direction until they disappeared.

I then used a wool buffing wheel with 3M Imperial Microfinishing compound at about 2000 RPM until the sanding haze was gone.

I followed with a Mequiars foam glazing pad at 12-1400 rpm using 3M Imperial Machine Glaze until I had a high gloss.

Finally I finished up with 3M Imperial Hand Glaze.

Seriously the pictures don't do it justice at all, I was shocked that *I* could create a finish like this.

I used DuPont Chroma Base and HC-7600 ChromaClear. The HC-7600 is NOT recommended for overall paint jobs, it cures too fast and you end up with dry lines. I had all the panels off the car so I didn't have a problem. I did have to walk around the car a lot while painting the roof to avoid dry line problems though.

How about putting down the color?

Arizona85GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 10:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Arizona85GTSend a Private Message to Arizona85GTDirect Link to This Post
Man I rarely check Tech Chat, good thing I did, beautiful car man

Adam

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by stuartlowery:

Why is the Front piece always look more dull than the rest of the car in all the pics I've seen of fieros? is it just the angles or is there something else to it?

I think the only one that I've seen with a shiney finish that matched was SkiTimes. I'm not 100% sure though.

Trust me, it's just as shiney as the res of the car.... it's the angle.

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-29-2003 11:44 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

FieroV6Dude

205 posts
Member since May 2002
As far as painting... If I can do it... anyone can. That's my first paint job.

I asked RogerGarrison and a few other people here questions. I searched the web for Basecoat/Clearcoat and read alot. I also learned Color Sanding from the web.

I used DuPont ChromaBase and ChromaClear, my DuPont jobber was VERY helpful in helping me choose the right activators, primers, sealers, plastic prep solutions etc.

I followed the tech manuals at DuPonts site to the letter.

The biggest reason it came out the way it did is because of the one thing that EVERY person I talked drilled in to my head.

PREP WORK. Getting the panels ready to paint is more important than the paint or application of the paint itself.

If you think something might show, guarantee you IT WILL. Sand until your fingers are ready to fall off, then sand some more. DuPont says use at least 400 grit or finer, 400 leaves sand scratches with black basecoat so I had to re-sand everything with 600.

If the paint manufacturer tells you to wipe the panels down with a certain solution, DO IT.

Before you even start to think about touching the car with sandpaper, wash it 3 or for times with water and dawn dish soap, then wash it some more. Silicone will be your enemy!!!! Dawn will get rid of it. After you've washed it 3, 4, 6 times let it dry. Then with a paper towel soaked with DuPont Prep-Sol or equivalent in one hand and a clean paper towel in the other, wipe the prep-sol on, wipe it off before it dries with the clean towel. Throw away the towel you just used to wipe off the prep-sol, it's already contaminated. Use a fresh towel each time you wipe off the prep-sol. This will save you untold frustration in having a beautiful matte black basecoat that turns in to a fisheye disaster as soon as you clear coat it. Again, silicone is the enemy.

Just be patient, read, read, read. Don't get frustrated. Be prepared to spend about twice what you expected to, but you'll still be a few grand less than if you had someone else paint it and have it look like that.

I have about $1000.00 wrapped up in the project. That includes paint, filler, primer, sealer, respirator, new Cobalt HVLP paint gun and a high speed buffer.

I used a gallon more of basecoat than I expected I'd need due to problem panels from a parts car that kept lifting. I have a total of a gallon and half of clear coat due to fisheye problems from silicone. There were times when I was ready to throw a match at the car and walk away. If you get frustrated, clean the paint gun, shut the garage down and come back later.

When I did the final Machine Glaze and saw what I had created, all the frustration was worthwhile.

Glenn

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dangerkitty:

What a great paint job!
It looks so rich and deep!
It is like a mirror but more like a wet lake of black.
It is almost like you could go swimming in it.

You took the parts off of it?
How hard was that?
How do you control overspray?
Did you paint the inside of doorjams?
Did you paint the headlight assemblys?

Man, you really did great!
Wow, you have my admiration!
Can you do mine?

dk

Yes, I took every panel off the car, the only parts that were left were the rear clip and roof.

To control overspray is not really hard, with the basecoat it really isn't a big deal. With the clearcoat I would do a few parts at a time. The Clearcoat I used is overspray safe at 36" so I built a rack in my "spray booth" and layed out the pieces that could all be "wet" at the same time like the Aero Trim, headlight doors, spoiler stantions etc. and did them all together.

The front fascia, rear fascia, hood, decklid and spoiler were all clearcoated by themselves. Partly to avoid the overspray problem, partly because my gun only has a 22 oz cup and I didn't want to have to mix more clearcoat up in the middle of a panel.

The insides of my doorjams were already a real nice matte black, I left them alone. I did however paint the door sill portion of the aero rocker panels and purposely gave them an almost "matte photo" texture with clear, it really looks sharp. I did paint the headlight housings but I used Mar-Hyde Satin Black on them.

As far as painting one for someone else... I'm doing my brothers and after I see how that goes... There's my Formula and GT to do yet. But that's gonna happen in the winter.

Thanks for the compliments gang, I was VERY frustated a few times and you all have definitely made my day!!

Glenn

sqoach

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Looks incredible!
I should be able to paint mine this fall. Right now it's all in primer, but I will have to re-do some stuff and prime again. It will be my first paint job, and all panels will be removed to paint, also. Hope it comes out as good as yours.
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post

OOOOOOooooooooh baby !! Just like how i want mine too look.

Those pics make it look even better !

Nothing like a black sleek machine !
Love the stance, now just tint the windows and you got a real show stopper wrapped up in that jaw dropping paint job!

I Know it is a lot of work but I am definatly
going to give it a go and try to paint.

I think everybody should try it at least once.

Phil86SE

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 56
Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 03:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Phil86SESend a Private Message to Phil86SEDirect Link to This Post
That is exactly the kind of paintjob i hope my car comes out with...

that looks great!

awsome job,

-Phil

Challe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-30-2003 06:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChalleSend a Private Message to ChalleDirect Link to This Post
Wow! what year is it now...'86?, that car looks brand new!

Regards
/Challe

DandRauto

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DandRautoSend a Private Message to DandRautoDirect Link to This Post
Excellent Job.

The Car
The Pictures (Post and Web Pages)
The Posts
The Explainations

The car looks fantastic. I voted you a positive rating.

Dick

PFF
System Bot
exoticse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2003 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for exoticseSend a Private Message to exoticseDirect Link to This Post
Fierov6dude,

Is there a color number or special name for the color of black paint that you used ?

FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2003 07:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by exoticse:

Fierov6dude,

Is there a color number or special name for the color of black paint that you used ?

I used DuPont ChromaBase 99K Black and ChromaClear. DuPont also makes a "premier" series "Jet Black" but I just used their standard black.

Glenn

------------------

Plastic's Fantastic...

Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2003 09:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post
VERY SWEET!! Be proud of yourself, very nice job!!

Smooth!!

------------------

Raydar

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 460
Rate this member

Report this Post08-16-2003 11:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RaydarSend a Private Message to RaydarDirect Link to This Post
Oh my...

That's a beautiful car.
Thanks for taking the time to share your tips with us.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock