Started on: 05-21-2003 10:01 PM
Replies: 17
Last post by: fierohoho on 09-01-2003 05:51 AM
87GTSleeper

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Well, I am in the middle of prepping my car for paint and I just can't bear to put fresh paint on sagging doors. Rodney to the rescue. I ordered some roller rebuild kits and hing pins and the stuff is great. Here's a walk-through:

First, It isn't quick to do. Door skins have to come off and removing them and putting them back properly takes some time. It's going to be down while I paint it so what better time? I'm only showing the bottom door hing, with the roller, because the upper hinge is just a pin and pretty straightforward. There are some tight spaces to work in getting the hinges off. Gotta be patient.

Here is the lower passenger hinge removed:

Notice how skewed the roller is on the pin. I'd say it was a little worn.

Get a GM Door hinge spring compressor. Rodney no longer carries them so I got the local NAPA to order one for me. It arrived at 7:00 AM the next morning. Spring removed:

Handy tool.

You have to grind the ends off the roller pin, remove the roller(which is to be reused), and then punch it out. I used the old hinge pin as a punch to remove the roller pin and hinge pin bushings. New parts and old:

Notice how notched the pin is where the roller was. That plastic bushing sucked. Press the new metal bushing into the roller with washers on each side and secure it with the c-clip. Press in the new hinge pin bushings and tap the pin in. I put a little grease on everything for good measure. You should paint the roller pin as it is mild steel and will rust. The only decent paint I had was yellow. Oh well, car's gonna be yellow anyway. The completed door hinge:

Installation is pretty much the opposite of removal. Use a jack, jackstands or something to support the doors. Makes like a lot eaiser and safer. I completeley removed and reinstalled ONE HINGE AT A TIME. This helped with door re-alignment and door support during installation.

I highly recomment this kit from Rodney Dickman. My doors are so smoooooth.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Wow! Great documentation. I really appreciate it. Positive rating.

------------------

jron

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 10:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jronSend a Private Message to jronDirect Link to This Post
Great information,wish I had that last year when I replaced my pins.
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-21-2003 11:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Thanks! I'll be doing brakes and suspension soon, and I'll try to do something similar with those.

The door hinge replacement also kind of turns out to be a good time to clean and lubricate the moving parts in the window and locking mechanisms. My doors are so much better now. It took a little time but, man, it was worth it.

jstricker

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 370
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 08:19 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jstrickerSend a Private Message to jstrickerDirect Link to This Post
yep, you get a + from me. Anybody that goes out of their way to be this helpful deserves a +.

John Stricker

cccharlie

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 65
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 09:59 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cccharlieSend a Private Message to cccharlieDirect Link to This Post
very nice write up.

How much did you pay for the spring tool? Is it a GM tool or a NAPA tool?

Anyone nearby got one I can borrow?

Formula88

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 554
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 10:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Formula88Send a Private Message to Formula88Direct Link to This Post
Nice pics and write up! Thanks. Rebuilding the hinge looks like the easy part. I'm guessing removing and re-installing the hinge is the hardest part. Could you go into more detail on the hinge R&R procedure?
87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 11:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys.

Yeah the rebuilding of the hinge was the easy part......once I got the spring tool. You can try it without the tool but you will probably get frustrated end up buying one since they only cost $23.00. WELL worth the money.

A lot of the door panel/skin removal is covered in Haynes but I'll tell you what I ran into. First things first. Remove the interior door panel. Start by removing the armrest and door handle covers. Refer to Chiltons or Haynes for the details. Pop off the inner door panel. Now the fun part. Remove the outer door skin. Those dreaded plastic-headed torx screws! I destroyed every one of them! I pushed a medium flat-head screwdriver in there and managed to unscrew them with that. You also have to remove the door moulding to remove 2 7mm screws underneath. Unclip the lock and door handle from their rods and don't forget to pop the rivets out of the bottom of the diir skin. I just used a chisel to shear off the heads. Gently guide the door panel off.

The bottom hinges have 4 bolts, 3-13mm and 1-15mm. The 15mm one has the head behind the carpet on the kickpanel close to the door opening. That means you have to remove the bottom inner trim moulding. Not too bad but the e-brake gets in the way on the driver side. Be careful when removing this. You have to punch through some soft gooey weatherproofing stuff to get at that 15mm bolt. I remove that bolt first then slide a jackstand under my door. Then I went in from the outside of the door(skinless) and removed those 2 bolts. The bottom one wants to hit on the window guides so jack up on the door as you back out the bolt to create some room. Last, I remove the remaining bolt whose head is inside the hinge. A small headed wratchet works best here as there is very limited room. I did a lot of wiggling and moving of the door at this poit to make room for my wrench to move. It was a tight fit. After that bolt os removed, you just pull the hige out and take it to the bench!

I did neglect to mention that I am buying new fasteners for the door skin. I like to replace all plastic fasteners when possible.

I hope that helps. I suppose if you read all that, you REALLY want to rebuild your hinges. Good Luck.

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 02:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
The only thing I would add is a neopriem(SP?)washer above the new bronze busings. It helps the door slid easier and takes any extra play out of the hinge. I think the Ogre (see Ogre's Cave at the bottom) did a write-up about it.

Good job on the write-up.

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up
[URL=https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/023174.html]
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

Monza76

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 67
Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Monza76Click Here to visit Monza76's HomePageSend a Private Message to Monza76Direct Link to This Post
Thanks you very much, I wish more people would take it on themselves to do these little pictorial tips.

Ira

87GTSleeper

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 03:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 87GTSleeperSend a Private Message to 87GTSleeperDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by mrfixit58:

The only thing I would add is a neopriem(SP?)washer above the new bronze busings. It helps the door slid easier and takes any extra play out of the hinge.

Do you mean on the regular hinge-pin? That would be a good idea. I didn't get any side to side play but it might eliminate any up and down play.

Thanks for the comments! I have taken so much from this forum that I guess it's only fair to give some back.

Edited for misunderstanding.

[This message has been edited by 87GTSleeper (edited 05-22-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
foxgapfiero

Feedback score:    (18)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-22-2003 06:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for foxgapfieroSend a Private Message to foxgapfieroDirect Link to This Post
One thing about the roller kit. Don't get crazy tightening the nut on the bottom of the roller kit. This is only mild steel and if you get too nuts with it the threads will break off along with the nut(like I did). The nice thing about it is if you do break it, just have the pin welded to the hinge. If you ever have to replace it again, and I don't think you ever will, just grind off the weld.
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-23-2003 12:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the write up, very clear lots of info. This is one of my next projects so I can't tell you how much I apprecitate it.
JazzMan

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 653
User Banned

Report this Post05-23-2003 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JazzManSend a Private Message to JazzManDirect Link to This Post
Just for reference: My latest catalog from http://www.autobodytoolmart.com has the door spring tool in it for $14. Those guys are easy to deal with, and have great prices on their autobody stuff as well.

JazzMan

SLagrec1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 05:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SLagrec1Send a Private Message to SLagrec1Direct Link to This Post
Yesterday we finished the door hinge rebuild project! No longer does the driver door produce that nasty clunk/drop-bump/clang combo when it's closed.

In addition to this excellent post we used the article in Ogre's cave... http://home.sprynet.com/~theogre/tunnel6/index.htm

... and this one: http://spacecoastfieros.com/tech/hinge/index.html

The passenger side wasn't too bad but the driver door bushing was degraded to the point where the upper hinge pin was elongating the hole in the hinge itself.

It seems others have been able to complete this repair without removing the hinges from the doors. However, we got stuck. Couldn't pound the new hinge pins back in all the way on the passenger side. Just not enough room to swing the hammer in such a tight space.

Taking the hinge off the door made all the difference. In comparison, repairing the driver side took far less time.

Thanks for sharing. It's appreciated. Cheers.

------------------
Steve, 87 Fiero GT 2.8 5spd

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
I haven't had to do a roller. That may force you to remove the hinge.

The pins and bushings can be done without the hinge getting removed. It makes the job go much faster. In most cases the door won't need any adjustment.

If you do the extra thrust washer as shown in my cave, the bottom hinge may need a tiny tweek. It depends how thick of a washer you use. The Nylon oil plug washers I use will settle slightly and usually aren't a problem.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post08-31-2003 08:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Those door rollers look neat.

They look almost identical to a set my buddy made for me a few years ago.

Haven't had an issue with mine since then, no more creaky doors!

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post09-01-2003 05:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Excellent post 87GTSleeper, a positive rating for you, good pics too.

Here are my two links that deal with door panel and skin removal that should help anyone else doing the hinges. HoHo
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030819-2-028780.html https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000001/HTML/20030531-2-028815.html

------------------

It's allways something!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock