Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  question for PBJ or Rockcrawl 4.9 related??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

question for PBJ or Rockcrawl 4.9 related?? by Dragon1
Started on: 07-19-2003 11:19 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: Will on 07-22-2003 07:02 AM
Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 11:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Ok, so you've been following my post "4.9 is in the car!!!"
My question is I got the rear suspension all bolted back together, nothing is aligned, I just put it together. I put the floor jack under the passenger side and raised it so the weight of the car was on it so I could tighten the lower a-arm pivot bolts with the poly bushings. Ok so the suspension moved 1" to 2" before the car started to rise.
When I tried to raise the driver side the suspension only moved about 1/2" before the car started to rise. I have the axle nuts tightened but not torqued yet. The axles spin, nothing is binding or sticking. Why the difference in movement??? Do you think the drivers side strut is sticking cause it was extended too far. It should'nt be that the axle is too long, they're the same axles everyone else is using. It even looks like the picture on page 4 of BV Motorsports postings. pt.#8471 I believe.
Maybe if I jack up the drivers side under the a-arm again and junp up and down on the car something might snap back into place.
Maybe look at the 4.9 post again and scan the pictures, maybe you could see something I missed...
Thanks,
Dragon1/Brian
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2003 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Sorry can't be much help other than give it another look over but I am sure you have already done that.

Pete

BV MotorSports

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 189
Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 12:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for BV MotorSportsSend a Private Message to BV MotorSportsDirect Link to This Post
Is it possible that you had some kind of load on the suspension when you assembled the it?
You made a very good point here though. You definetly do not want to torque the suspension bolts with the car jacked up (wheels not loaded). This will cause PRELOAD and can affect your handling. So always torque with weight on the wheels!

And yes, 8471 is the correct axle for the drivers side.

Steven

------------------
'02 Subaru WRX 14.61@91.87mph bone stock
'87 Fiero GT 4.9/4T60e, ZEX nitrous 65hp shot, 88 cradle w/ coil overs, Poly everything, Upgraded sway bars, 16X7 M11's, 11.25 "Zettner" front brakes, Complete MSD ignition w/ 6AL box, Custom 3" SLP T-409 SS exhaust, Grand Sport Corvette paint, Carbon fiber interior trim, '98 T/A CD w/ ETR, Reverse Indiglo guages, Pillar mounted AutoMeter O2, Hella H4 conversion.

Always have engines, fiero parts and accessories for sale. Custom engine swaps and chassis modifications are available.

[This message has been edited by BV MotorSports (edited 07-20-2003).]

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-20-2003 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
I'm going to look at it again today, maybe I'll just take that side apart or put full weight of the car on the wheels on the grond and see what happens.

Dragon1/Brian

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2003 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Ok I mounted the wheels and while watching the drivers side suspension from the back I lowered the car onto my ramps. The drivers suspension moved into position without a problem. I bounced the car on both the passenger side and drivers side, every thing seemed normal so I went ahead and tightened up the rear suspension. Bounced it again, no problem.
So the only thing I can think of is that there is not enough weight on the drivers side of the car, if you think about it the motor is about 80% on the passenger side and
also the heavy stuff in the tranny, and the battery, all that's really on the drivers side is 20% of the motor, the end of the tranny, the torque converter, and the vapor canister.

Dragon1/Brian

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-22-2003 07:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by BV MotorSports:
You made a very good point here though. You definetly do not want to torque the suspension bolts with the car jacked up (wheels not loaded). This will cause PRELOAD and can affect your handling. So always torque with weight on the wheels!

Actually, with poly bushings it doesn't matter. Tightening the bolts with the suspension at ride height is only important with rubber bushings.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock