Started on: 07-08-2003 10:56 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Capt Fiero on 07-09-2003 03:02 PM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post07-08-2003 10:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have torn many a rubber mount apart, no problem I just replace it. But this time I ripped the steel bracket into 2 pieces. I have looking at the West Coast Fiero trans brackets, but even they dont sell a stronger bracket like this. Does anyone have any suggestions. I know I should just stop dumping the clutch and quit drag racing, but that will never happen. I have toned it down a bit though. I guess that 245's is the largest tire I am going to run with though.

Here is a pic

------------------
85GT 2.9 4spd
www.david.westcoastfieros.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 12:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
Install a torque strap to stop loading (and breaking) the transmission mounts.

I have a looped steel cable bolted to a transmission bellhousing bolt and a bolt on the cradle. It has just a little slack, so normal engine vibration isn't transmitted to the cradle, but as soon as torque starts it pulls tight and stops further movement.

------------------

1987 GT www.fierosound.com
2002/2003 World of Wheels Winner &
Multiple IASCA Stereo Award Winner

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 12:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Man that looks like it will do just what I want. I can't belive I did not think of that. That is a totally awesome solution. I dont have to give up burnouts afterall. Yaaa.

Now how does that work with "Shock" loading. IE doing a 6000 rpm clutch dump on VHT at the race track. Did you re-inforce the spot that you bolted the cable too. Have you ever managed to break the cable or break the cable loose from its mounts.

P.S. are you planning on comming back to BC anytime soon. Our club has gotten much larger since you last visit.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Now how does that work with "Shock" loading. IE doing a 6000 rpm clutch dump on VHT at the race track. Did you re-inforce the spot that you bolted the cable too. Have you ever managed to break the cable or break the cable loose from its mounts.

I don't drive like you do but you could use a thicker cable and reinforce the cradle if needed.

I'm going to the 20th next week, and am planning to be in Vancouver for Labour Day weekend. See you then.

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 08:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
That looks like a rear mount bracket that broke. www.rodneydickman.com has replacement stronger brackets for the Getrag, but I don't think he's done the 4 speed yet. You could call/email and ask.
Kohburn

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 188
Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 09:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KohburnSend a Private Message to KohburnDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Capt Fiero:

Ok I have torn many a rubber mount apart, no problem I just replace it. But this time I ripped the steel bracket into 2 pieces. I have looking at the West Coast Fiero trans brackets, but even they dont sell a stronger bracket like this. Does anyone have any suggestions. I know I should just stop dumping the clutch and quit drag racing, but that will never happen. I have toned it down a bit though. I guess that 245's is the largest tire I am going to run with though.

Here is a pic

I did this several times on my 3.4 with 245's on the rear - i ended up welding it back together with reinforcements - basicly doubling the thickness of the mount - if you look at the stock 3.4 mounts they are 1/4" material - the fieros are stamped sheetmetal.. its pretty obvious why they break.
after that I replaced all mounts with poly mounts, and took the "front" engine mount from the stock 3.4 that was U shaped and combined it with the fiero mount - this holds the engine on both sides and mounts it to the stock location - attack the torque strap to that bracket works great..

Capt Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-09-2003 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Thank You both, Yall get a big plus. HeHe. I am going to see about using the 3.4 brackets the next time i am at a wrecking yard. As well as taking my Un-Broken Replacment Bracket to a shop and have them weld some heavy duty straps around it. Then I am going to take some cable and built a torque strap and last but not least. Watts told me he is getting some solid aluminum bushings made up for the stock engine shock absorber thing. So I will add those.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock