whose got a turbo on thier 2.8's? by fierofireGT
Started on: 06-03-2003 10:11 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Hartz on 06-04-2003 08:57 AM
fierofireGT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierofireGTClick Here to visit fierofireGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierofireGTDirect Link to This Post
just looking for ideas on a turbo for my V6 2.8.....if anybody has a recomendation for a kit (besides design1's $3,000 beast) i would appreciate it. thanx
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
sluppy123

Feedback score:    (16)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-03-2003 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sluppy123Send a Private Message to sluppy123Direct Link to This Post
-Here's mine, however it's not a kit but all custom made parts. The turbo itself is a Garrett T-3 .63/.48 with a Blackwood intercooler. Boost is set around 8 psi, cost was around $1000.

------------------
-Brian, Toolmaker
Lincoln, NE
Silver 87' GT- Turbo Charged/intercooled, Modified 2.8- 235 HP w/ 8 psi Boost, 11.25" brakes.
Maroon 87' GT- 355 TPI V8, 5-speed

Hartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2003 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HartzSend a Private Message to HartzDirect Link to This Post
Mine's a kit, but I wouldn't recommend it. Oh, it's fine now, but it took a LOT of work to make it so. It definitely didn't live up to the "bolt on" claims of kits.

Hartz

------------------
'84 SC 5.7L V8
'85 SE 3.1L V6 Turbo - FOR SALE
Hartz's Toys

Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2003 01:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarSend a Private Message to XantavarDirect Link to This Post
Sluppy123 - Did you have to do any bottom end fortification?? What about a cam? How efficient is the intercooler running?

Hartz - How much boost are you pushing on your 3.1L? What kind of horsepower are you getting from it? Is this a stroked 3.1L??

Just curious!

TIA
Ryan

Edit: I would also lookup Dennis LaGrua on the forum. He is a turbo guru and has kits to offer for the 60*V6.
------------------
#7277 of 46581 built in 1987.

[This message has been edited by Xantavar (edited 06-04-2003).]

KRMFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2003 05:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for KRMFieroSend a Private Message to KRMFieroDirect Link to This Post
sluppy i noticed you also have a 355 chevy fiero, can you discribe the difference in driving you two cars?

Kyle

[This message has been edited by KRMFiero (edited 06-04-2003).]

CraZyRabBit

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2003 07:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CraZyRabBitSend a Private Message to CraZyRabBitDirect Link to This Post
I've got a KFG turbo kit still unpacked in a box, does that count?
Predator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2003 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PredatorClick Here to visit Predator's HomePageSend a Private Message to PredatorDirect Link to This Post
I have the Design One Stage II kit so I can't recommend an economy one. I am running around 10 lbs. boost dynoed at 195 hp 261 ftlbs at the wheels. I also have an intercooler installed. If you have the technical skills then you can do this a lot cheaper than I did. Unfortunately I don't have the time to learn about the computer mapping setup, tuning, pipe bending, so forth. If you are going to run 10 lbs + of boost you will need some sort of electronic Fuel management system such as a piggy back computer. A knock sensor is nice as well. I run the stock injectors, and stock fuel pump without any problems, and can pass Georgia Emissions without any problems. I also have a rising rate fuel preasure regulator. Kits are good in the sense that you are 90% there as far as the design, fit, and parts are concerned. I have not seen a plug and play kit yet though that would not require some tuning after the install. I thought mine was plug and play, and blew a head gasket right out of the driveway first drive out after the install. Good Luck with whatever you choose to do.

------------------

Hartz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2003 08:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HartzSend a Private Message to HartzDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Xantavar:

Hartz - How much boost are you pushing on your 3.1L? What kind of horsepower are you getting from it? Is this a stroked 3.1L??

Pushing about 6-8 lbs. of boost. Nothing crazy. The motor is designed to handle twice that, but I never got around to bumping it up. All of the details about the motor are on my website. I've never had it on a dyno, so I'd hesitate to make any power claims. By seat of the pants it's not quite as fast as my V8 car, but the power delivery is SO different between the two cars, it's really hard to say.

(It's also for sale if anyone's interested!!!)

Hartz

------------------
'84 SC 5.7L V8
'85 SE 3.1L V6 Turbo - FOR SALE
Hartz's Toys

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay