carbuator on a 4.9???? by 2-tone
Started on: 05-07-2003 12:17 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: bamman on 06-09-2003 10:53 PM
2-tone

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 12:17 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
what would be my best bet on a carb to run my 4.9? 2G style,dueljet? autolight?carter?Holly? trying to get the best match up to the throtle body holes. seems that the 2G style does not line up yery good. Also what is the best way to plug up the injector holes on the pfi intake.Gonna get this v-8 to run one way or the other.Thanx-B-
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 12:39 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
I bought a Rochester 2 barrel from a mid 70s chevy pre emissions. Stevenrossi has the same setup and it sounds like he is really happy with it. The BEST carb for the 4.9 would be a holley 500cfm 2 barrel. The intake on the cadillac is 500 cfm to begin with.
This is the one http://www.holley.com/HiOctn/ProdLine/Products/FMS/FMSC/0-4412S.html

hope this helps!

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

Fieroking

Feedback score:    (11)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 78
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 11:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FierokingClick Here to visit Fieroking's HomePageSend a Private Message to FierokingDirect Link to This Post
Why do u want to carb it you will loose horse power why dont you use the fuel injection that why it came on the motor

dont do it !!!

J Sokol

------------------

crzyone

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 11:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for crzyoneSend a Private Message to crzyoneDirect Link to This Post
Only reason I'm using carb is because Bubbajoe says there is absolutly no noticable power loss with a carb, and I don't need cold weather startability.

Theres that and modifying a distributor and a carb adapter plate is still much easier than messing with cadillac wiring. To each his own, I'm looking for a summer cruiser with lots of power.

------------------

87GT 4.9 in progress!

[This message has been edited by crzyone (edited 05-07-2003).]

stevenrossi

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 126
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for stevenrossiSend a Private Message to stevenrossiDirect Link to This Post
I've got a Rochester 2V from a Chevy. I've driven in a PFI 4.9 with a 4:10 4 speed which is the transmission that is geared to be better off the line. My 1984 Fiero is a 4.9 Carburated with a 5 speed Getrag with 225x50x16 Tires all around. It starts faster then my 2002 Nissan Sentra and with the 5 speed and carb it pulls harder (IMO) then the PFI with better start gearing that I was able to drive in. The 4.9 should (rough guess) do 15MPG if driven well if not somewhere around there...Hopefully someone can confirm that. The install, carbuated, was very easy. The car is reliable, inexpensive, and one hell of a puller .

This is just my opinion, unlike some, I love all Fiero's no matter which setup they have or type of system management and fuel delivery. 4.9 Carburated and 4.9 PFI are both supreme swaps into the Fiero...any year. If you want a easy swap thats dependable with no noticeable power loss *if tuned properly* the 4.9L Carburated is a great way to go.

Good Luck!

Steve-O

------------------

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 04:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

Bubbajoe says there is absolutly no noticable power loss with a carb

LOL. key word: noticable. I bet a dyno would notice it.

2-tone

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-07-2003 06:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 2-toneSend a Private Message to 2-toneDirect Link to This Post
well just made my distriburor out of a 1979 pontiac 301 V-8 one. Also the EGR from the 301 fits then caddy motor (my 4.9 is a crate exchange long block).Now all I need is a fuel pressure regulator and a carb. any advice on a rodchester carb for this setup? only gonna use the Fiero as a toy not a daily driver.Thanx -B-
Smoooooth GT

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 310
Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 03:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Smoooooth GTSend a Private Message to Smoooooth GTDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:

LOL. key word: noticable. I bet a dyno would notice it.

He also said "If tuned properly".. I think that IS the key... Tuning it!!

------------------
~~Steve~~
~~SmoothGT~~

SmoothFieroGT@Yahoo.com

bamman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-09-2003 10:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bammanSend a Private Message to bammanDirect Link to This Post
Bubbajoe has stated that the 89 4.5LG intake manifold has the same ports as the later 4.9PFI engines. My 88 4.5 had the "G" also. I will know first hand next thursday since that is when I will be changing engines. If you get one of these not only will you not have to plug the PFI holes, but you will be getting a intake designed to flow both air and fuel. I went with the holly 500 (brand new) and it was a bolt on and start, with a custom adapter plate, no problems there.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock