Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Steering Rack bearing (play) adjustment. Help needed.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Steering Rack bearing (play) adjustment. Help needed. by Paul Taylor
Started on: 05-18-2003 10:26 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: avengador1 on 05-19-2003 09:09 AM
Paul Taylor

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2003 10:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
Hi all,

Over the last few months i have noticed that my 85GT will follow worn tracks on badly maintained roads. To the point where it will almost drive itself !.
Anyway i have traced it down to the steering rack. There is approx 6mm play in the rack at the straight ahead position.

There is a pinion bearing adjustment on the rack and it has a large castle type locknut on the top of the adjustment bolt.

The Pontiac manual tells me to undo the locknut and tightent the bearing adjuster fully until it bottoms out, than back off 60 degrees.
Problem is i cannot loosen this silly castle type locknut !!!.

Anyone got any ideas ???

Thanks in advance.

------------------
Regards,

Paul Taylor, England.
85 GT Notchback, 2.8 V6, 4 speed manual.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2003 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
Just did it - not too hard.

Take a punch with a flat tip, and stick it between two of the 'ears' on the lock nut and whack it a few times with a hammer. If you find you're shaving off the ear, then stick a (22mm?) wrench on the nut portion and back the whole mess off. Then loosen the lock nut a few turns more by itself.

Now turn the main nut down gently until it bottoms out. Make sure the wheels are more or less straight ahead when you do it. Now back it off 60* (1/4 turn, less an 1/8th). Then lock the locknut down with the punch while holding the wrench so it doesn't turn.

Made a WORLD of difference on my car - thought I was going to have to replace the rack until I got around to doing it.

Paul Taylor

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2003 12:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul TaylorClick Here to visit Paul Taylor's HomePageSend a Private Message to Paul TaylorDirect Link to This Post
Well i did exactly that. But i did start to tear off the bit i was attacking !.
So i gave it a good soaking in WD40 spray and i will have another go next weekend.

I know it makes a huge difference to the dribabillity of the car as i did the same thing to my 95 BMW525i last year. It was like driving a new car afterwards.

------------------
Regards,

Paul Taylor, England.
85 GT Notchback, 2.8 V6, 4 speed manual.

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2003 04:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Does anybody have a picture of where this is located. I am having a similar problem. Thanks

[This message has been edited by avengador1 (edited 05-18-2003).]

PK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-18-2003 04:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PKSend a Private Message to PKDirect Link to This Post
Located right by the flexible coupling/pinch bolt of the steering column

Cheers
PK

avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post05-19-2003 09:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock