Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Will these injectors be good for Fiero turbo 2.8?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Will these injectors be good for Fiero turbo 2.8? by AusFiero
Started on: 05-12-2003 09:28 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: Pyrthian on 05-13-2003 12:07 PM
AusFiero

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 326
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33553&item=2414280067

Anyone know the flow rate on these and will the work in the Fiero size and shape wise.
I am looking at them for my 2.8 turbo project.

------------------

White 86 GT 4 Speed Manual - Black 86 GT Auto
The Fiero Shop International - Jade Web Design
If you appreciate my contribution please give me a rating

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
I believe that the Buick 3.8L injectors are about 30 lb/hr units. Even with a new chip program, they are beyond the ability of the Fiero ECM to control properly.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post
What a co-incidence Dennis. I was just looking at your site and noticed you used 24 lb Ford units. I assume these work well and Fiero right? There is plenty of them on ebay at present.
My plans are for 30 thou over 2.8 with 8:01 compression ratio forged pistons and a T3 Turbo running decent boost. Heaps of other plans but that is the basic idea. The ECM will be modified or thrown out altogher in favour of a aftermarket unit.
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I think that would be 22#/hr for a GM 3.8 N/A
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Pyrthian:

I think that would be 22#/hr for a GM 3.8 N/A

Hmm that is a nice size. Can anyone confirm this?

Paul Prince

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
I don't think they would be 30lb. The stock Buick GN is 28lb. The largest I have found that would run with the ECM are 24lb. The 28lb will not idle. Make sure they are high resistance (14-16 ohms), not low (2-4 ohms)....Paul
Predator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 12:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PredatorClick Here to visit Predator's HomePageSend a Private Message to PredatorDirect Link to This Post
I am running stock injectors on my Turbo 2.8 and they work fine.
AusFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 07:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for AusFieroClick Here to visit AusFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to AusFieroDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Predator:

I am running stock injectors on my Turbo 2.8 and they work fine.

What boost are you running?
I am aiming to run about 12 pounds.

85frankenstein

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 85frankensteinClick Here to visit 85frankenstein's HomePageSend a Private Message to 85frankensteinDirect Link to This Post
Aus,

It depends on how much final HP you are planning to have. Here's some numbers I ran through the Fuel injector calculator at RC Engineering for you.

12 psi boost in a 2.8 could theoretically produce approx 260 HP. The 2.8 puts out approx 160 HP (at least that's what it's rated at from the factory) at 1 atmosphere and 12 psi is approx .8 atmosphere (160 * 1.8 = 288, then subtract approximatly 10% loss through heat to come up with HP rating that you want to build for). Based on that HP rating, you would need 27.5 Lb/Hr injectors running at 45 psi fuel pressure constant.

If you run a rising rate fuel pressure regulator (1 pound increase in fuel pressure to 1 pound boost) you will be able to use 25.5 Lb/Hr injectors at 12psi boost, but make sure to install and Air/Fuel ratio meter to be sure that you don't go lean.

------------------
As Alice Cooper once said...

Feed My.... Frankenstein!
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-12-2003 09:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

What a co-incidence Dennis. I was just looking at your site and noticed you used 24 lb Ford units. I assume these work well and Fiero right? There is plenty of them on ebay at present.
My plans are for 30 thou over 2.8 with 8:01 compression ratio forged pistons and a T3 Turbo running decent boost. Heaps of other plans but that is the basic idea. The ECM will be modified or thrown out altogher in favour of a aftermarket unit.

I would believe that 24 lb injectors would be plenty big for a turbo 2.8L. If you use the Fiero ECM it's a good idea to use only a large enough injector to support the maximum HP that your engine will make.
Since you will be using an aftermarket ECM ; control larger injector may be easier. However, large injectors on a small engine require only a very small pulse width at idle to provide enough fuel. Using too large of an injector can lead to an unstable or erratic idle that is hard to correct.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://www.turbochargerpower.com/turbo.htm

Predator

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2003 11:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PredatorClick Here to visit Predator's HomePageSend a Private Message to PredatorDirect Link to This Post
I am running around 10 lbs of boost with an Intercooler. It dyno's at 195 hp and 260 ftlbs at the wheels.
PFF
System Bot
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post05-13-2003 12:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by AusFiero:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=33553&item=2414280067

Anyone know the flow rate on these and will the work in the Fiero size and shape wise.
I am looking at them for my 2.8 turbo project.

yes - 22# - and they will be great for a 2.8 turbo

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock