Started on: 04-28-2003 01:14 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Racingman24 on 04-28-2003 10:24 PM
Racingman24

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2003 01:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Just wondering if anybody might have an idea what caused a recent fire on one of my coil packs, it happened as i was starting it up, not when I was driving. I have not had a chance to look at everything yet, but any suggestions on where to look would be helpful, BTW 88 coupe, I4, 5 spd.
Eric

------------------
88 Coupe, Stock

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
nick2x88

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2003 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for nick2x88Send a Private Message to nick2x88Direct Link to This Post
well, the coil packs by their nature have a lot of high voltage going on inside them...and then there is a brick of electronics beneath them too. So electrical failure is a possibility.
They are pretty exposed to road grime and grease, it's possible something arced and ignited oil/grease on the coil packs, especially if your plug wires aren't in too great of condition.
are you using the stock coils?

------------------
88 4cyl 5spd & 88 Formula 5spd

Rainman

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 106
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2003 12:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RainmanSend a Private Message to RainmanDirect Link to This Post
That's kind of odd. I'd speak with Ogre, he seems to be a leading authority when it comes to the GM DIS setup.

In my un-edumacated opinion, I'm lead to believe there was high resistance caused by something going bad. Possibly a bad wire/plug/etc.

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2003 02:07 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post

are you using the stock coils?

Yes i am using the stock coils, which have 124,xxx miles on them, and the plugs and wires were new as of about 8,000 miles ago, but i cant rule them out just yet. I will try to see if i can hunt down Ogre, and maybe he might have a few answers. Thanks though
Eric

Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2003 02:19 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
If they are the "original" coils, one of them had a sudden internal short at start up amps and melted down. That is also in a clean and well maintained engine compartment.
If it was a dirty, grease covered, never been washed in it's lifetime kind of thing, that's a different story.
In both cases, insure that the area is clean and replace the whole she-bang as it doesn't react well with high heat. Also check the wiring for shorts or burns.
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2003 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Yes, if the coil is covered in crap it can catch fire....

Otherwise....

The coils have a low primary resistance. Very low, like .5-1.5 ohms.

A coil short could heat them up real fast. I would also suspect the module is damaged if it wasn't killed outright.

Buy two new coils and a module. Use GM/ACDelco coils.

If you are tight on cash, grab a 2-3 used modules from a salvage yard. They don't fail very often so used ones are usually ok. There is a list of cars/trucks that use compaitble motors in my cave. (Link at top of page. Linked to DIS service and engine replacement articles.)

You can try used coils but they aren't very expensive and you are really better off with new.

You may as well install a new crank sensor and be done with that at the same time.

Plug gap on a DIS motor must be very exact. 0.060 for this motor. (That means ALL DIS, coil on plug, whatever. You will fry coils if the gap is too large. get other problems if it's too small.)

I would replace the wires and plugs again using AC or Autolite STANDARD resistor plugs. It's cheap insurance. (You don't need platinum on this motor and certain platinum plugs are not compatible.)

------------------
RIP Crew of Columbia. 01-Feb-03

[This message has been edited by theogre (edited 04-28-2003).]

Racingman24

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-28-2003 10:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Racingman24Click Here to visit Racingman24's HomePageSend a Private Message to Racingman24Direct Link to This Post
Thanks Ogre, I went and looked at your page about DIS, [read the whole thing, its long, but very informative.] I replaced the PIM, and both coils [i wanted to cry after i paid for them], since the CKP looked fine, as well as the o-ring, i left that alone for now. The plugs and wires will get replaced as soon as i get a little bit more money. Its back on the road, and i just wanted to get some opinons on why it burnt up, hopfully it was just the module and the coil packs not getting along, although they were relativly clean, and i got away lucky because no other wires were burned up. Thanks for all the help.
Eric

------------------
88 Coupe, Stock

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock