Started on: 04-17-2003 03:00 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: natnov on 04-17-2003 10:13 PM
mrfixit58

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 03:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post
First, for those who don't want, care or think that power steering is needed for a Fiero... please move onto the next thread.

For those who are interested, I may have made a discovery today. I noticed that the 4th generation F-body is a front steer car like the Fiero so I measured a power steering rack from in a 95 Camaro today to compare it to the Fiero rack. While the Camaro rack is longer overall, the center portion, between the two inner tie rod ends, is almost the same. As you know, if this distance isn't real close to stock it can produce bump steer.

I measured the distance between the inner tie rod ends as 28" on the Camaro and 28 1/2" on the Fiero. This wasn't an exact measurement since I didn't pull the boots back on either rack but instead, measured to where the boots bent (the location of the ball socket of the inner tie rod end).

The steering shaft on the Camaro is slightly more centered but the U-joints should compensate. If the Fiero inner rod ends can't be threaded onto the Camaro rack, the tie rods on the Camaro rack could be cut and re-threaded to use the Fiero outer tie rod ends.

If anyone has a chace to take some picture of an uninstalled rack, especially around the steering shaft, it would be interesting to exaine the difference and to get some more precise measurements.

Comments?

------------------
Roy

double-click on this link to follow my interior build-up https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/031255.html
*** UPDATED 1/24/03 ***

Blue 87 GT w/ 4th generation Firebird interior.
Suncoast Fieros

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
blakeinspace

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 06:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blakeinspaceSend a Private Message to blakeinspaceDirect Link to This Post
well fixit... i cant help you any, but I like the premis enough not to let this thread see page 2. So BUMP!

BTW... after meeting jscott this weekend, I have new respect for what you did to get that dash to fit! I looked at the time/effort involved in the 4th gen swap and then went and looked at my stock dash. I looked hard. I then decided 'boxy' wasnt too bad and that maybe someday retro dashes would be 'in'

(years from now at some future car show)
"Yeah man, I swapped an '86 Fiero dash into my C7 vette for this awesome sqaured off look... I just dont like the sound of 4x10's though..."

tomanyfieros

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 08:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for tomanyfierosSend a Private Message to tomanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
if this does work... let me know, my dad has a couple up on the hill.... might have to try and work it out for my GT..
good eye!
Thanks
Jason

------------------

mrfixit58

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 113
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 09:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mrfixit58Send a Private Message to mrfixit58Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by tomanyfieros:

if this does work... let me know, my dad has a couple up on the hill.... might have to try and work it out for my GT..
good eye!
Thanks
Jason

Well, if you have access to them... Please share what you find out.

Thanks,
Roy

bwayne

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bwayneSend a Private Message to bwayneDirect Link to This Post
Interesting discovery, fixit! Do you need pics of a Fiero rack or a Merkur one? Since I put in the new PS system I've got a stock '84 sitting here, so let me know if I can help.

Brian

Seanpaul

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SeanpaulSend a Private Message to SeanpaulDirect Link to This Post
Ohh...This would be grate...I'm doing a V8 swap soon, and I would like the keep the factory
PS pump on the 4.9 and upgrade the fiero rack...

People say you don't need power steering, but my bad elbow and my wrist proves you do!...

------------------
Justa stocker...

Jake_Dragon

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 403
Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 10:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Jake_DragonSend a Private Message to Jake_DragonDirect Link to This Post
Best I could do.
Found it on Partsamerica.com

natnov

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-17-2003 10:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for natnovSend a Private Message to natnovDirect Link to This Post
I don't know about F body racks but I just picked up a used Merkur rack for $65 dollars...I guess the power steering conversion will begine sooner than I expected.
Nate

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock