3.1 Swap, gimme what ya got by blazin'
Started on: 04-10-2003 11:06 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: thismanyfieros on 04-12-2003 01:10 AM
blazin'

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 11:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
Ok, since my 2.8 has crapped it's final crap, I looking for a replacement. Just happens I found a nice lil 3.1 for a nice lil price.

I know I need the wiring harness & ecm.

So, the gauges and ecm power wires have to be spliced, and the VSS signal may be wrong.

What else am I missing?? Any advice on the wiring and/or any apsects of this swap is greatly appreciated!!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 12:23 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
If it is the iron headed 3.1 (early 90 minivan) you don't need to do anything to the wiring. You'll replace the block, crank, pistons from your 2.8 with the ones from the 3.1. If your Fiero is an early one, you'll need a neutrally balanced flywheel/flexplate. You might want to think about an adjustable fuel pressure regulator. You can use your existing transmission, so the VSS signal is fine the way it is. You'll keep your existing water pump, alternator, and compressor, so no worries there.

Now, if you are using the aluminum-headed, DIS 3.1 from 90ish Beretta/Corsicas, then you'll need the ECM and wiring from the donor car. From my studies, the VSS signal from the Fiero is 6 times too slow for the Beretta computer. I'm having a custom chip burned to take care of that. You will be doing a fair amount of splicing. My advice would be to get the shop manual (not Haynes or Chilton) for both cars. You can still use your existing tranny, but you'll need to use the Beretta accessories.

This is kind of late, so anyone chime in if I've forgotten anything or made a mistake.

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 01:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post
Josh, do you want to drop the complete engine in?

If your gonna swap parts from the 2.8, thats defeating the purpose of the swap , because in the end, you will be rebuilding an engine either way.

If you want to swap the whole sha-bang, I know we can make it work easily enough.

BTW, I still need to get those bumpers an stuff from you!

Gimme a call at the shop during the day if you get a spare minute, everytime I try to call you, your gone.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 08:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I'd assume its the alum head 3.1
get the 3.1 iron head pistons, and then put it all back together fiero style, no re-wiring required.
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
Thats exactly what I want to do! Juat swap it right in. I'll give you a call
noodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 09:33 AM Click Here to See the Profile for noodleSend a Private Message to noodleDirect Link to This Post
When do you plan on doing this?

------------------
84 2M4

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 09:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
Whenever I get the donor!

You done sanding those panels yet?? You should be up at my place helping me finish the brakes on the 87!!!

noodle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 09:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for noodleSend a Private Message to noodleDirect Link to This Post
You should be up at my place helping me sand the parts so I can get them on faster.

------------------
84 2M4

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 06:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by noodle:

You should be up at my place helping me sand the parts so I can get them on faster.

Ha! Your a funny one!

Jelly, I called you twice today, and I got no answer. I'll call you again Monday!

jelly2m8

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 243
Rate this member

Report this Post04-11-2003 07:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jelly2m8Send a Private Message to jelly2m8Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by blazin':

Jelly, I called you twice today, and I got no answer. I'll call you again Monday!

Sorry dude, today was too nice to work, so I loafed off..... ahh the joys of being the boss!

I will PM you my home number, you can call me up till about midnight.

thismanyfieros

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 120
Rate this member

Report this Post04-12-2003 01:10 AM Click Here to See the Profile for thismanyfierosSend a Private Message to thismanyfierosDirect Link to This Post
what do you mean you loafed off..your fired mr...ha ha ha..sup fukkers..you all you guys drop me a PM let me know whats going on in the east coast part of the world..later bitches..tim..
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock