Started on: 04-06-2003 09:50 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: dguy on 04-10-2003 08:20 AM
dguy

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2003 09:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
I'm about to start installing Prothane's total kit, and am considering adding grease fittings as per the information in Ogre's Cave.

For periodic re-lubrication, is there anything wrong with using a moly-based grease that anyone is aware of? I'm having a devil of a time tracking down a teflon-based grease 'round here.

TIA!

------------------
-d.

1985 2M6 SE
Why not rate me if I said something useful?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
2M4 Dale

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 79
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2003 10:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 2M4 DaleSend a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
Go to any motorcycle shop and buy a can of waterproof greese !!! works great !
fierocsp
No longer registered
Report this Post04-06-2003 11:57 AM   Send a Private Message to 2M4 DaleDirect Link to This Post
You can get this grease at any marine shop.
Poly Grease:
Marine Lubricant 2-4-C W/Teflon $2.59/Tube
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-06-2003 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Some people use a hitch grease that Walmart and others carry. I beleieve it's a silicone based product. Besides being more water resitant, silicones won't hurt any finishes they get on.

I don't know anything about the products listed above.

You don't want to use oil based stuff on them. It can make them squeak worse and more often. (This is true of lubing many plastic parts.)

The best thing to do is get a separate grease gun and load it with the bushing grease. Preferably a differant color gun than the one for the ball joints and stuff. Grease guns are fairly cheap. You don't need a top of the line one for that use.

------------------
RIP Crew of Columbia. 01-Feb-03

dguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2003 09:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by theogre:
Some people use a hitch grease that Walmart and others carry. I beleieve it's a silicone based product. Besides being more water resitant, silicones won't hurt any finishes they get on.

By strange coincidence, I'm stopping at Wal-Mart on my way home this evening. I'll see if I can find the stuff.

You don't want to use oil based stuff on them. It can make them squeak worse and more often. (This is true of lubing many plastic parts.)

I'm not certain whether the moly grease that I picked up is oil-based or not. Of the four choices which were available only one had a label which gave any indication of its makeup, and that was the lithium CV-joint grease. The only other info on the cartridges was sample applications.

Any idea if a grease which purports to be "synthetic" would be oil-based? IIRC there was a tube of synthetic grease on the shelf.

The best thing to do is get a separate grease gun and load it with the bushing grease. Preferably a differant color gun than the one for the ball joints and stuff.

Already done, though I'm going to have to attack it with a can of spray paint--everywhere I go, grease guns are the same shade of black.

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2003 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Try looking for something in the warnings on the label about "this product contains petrolium distilates." Anything along that line means it's oil based.

Some synthetics may be ok others may not. I have no way to help you with that one.

I saw the hitch grease at walmart once. Didn't really look at it much. I think it's a silicone based product.

It was in a tub container with the towing equipment. I only noticed it because it's the same isle as the car lighting at my local store.

88GTNeverfinished

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2003 09:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88GTNeverfinishedSend a Private Message to 88GTNeverfinishedDirect Link to This Post
I use sil-glyde silicone caliper slider lube.

Works great on caliper sliders, also keeps poly bushings silent.

I have poly about everywhere, no squeaks ever. I love that stuff.

Jefrysuko

Feedback score:    (17)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 108
Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2003 09:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JefrysukoSend a Private Message to JefrysukoDirect Link to This Post
I went out and bought valvoline synthetic grease at my local auto parts store. I can't find anywhere where it indicates that it would be petroleum based. I have also seen Mobil 1 which I was going to use but it is a little harder to find. The reason I am going to use this grease is because I won't have to get two seperate grease guns.

------------------

dguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2003 09:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
Thanks guys!

Synthetic sounds like the way to go for the moment...

$Rich$

Feedback score:    (20)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 397
Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2003 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for $Rich$Send a Private Message to $Rich$Direct Link to This Post
i have a few tubes of the Mobil 1 gerase in the garage that ill never use its the full suze tube that fits in the grease gun if anyone;s intrested shoot me a offer and ill mail one ( or 2. or 3) out to ya

i have used it and it works well
i think i have 4 full tubes of it

------------------
Rich
97 Eclipse 17lbs. of boost on the Rad, Bad t-25
92 325i-- intake, exhaust, and suspension
White 86 SE V6-- WCF 2" drop springs, coil-overs, KYb's

dguy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-10-2003 08:20 AM Click Here to See the Profile for dguySend a Private Message to dguyDirect Link to This Post
Picked up a tube of the synthetic grease that a local store sells, and guess what? It's the same shade of red as the poly bushings I plan to lubricate with it!

Now there's an automotive fashion statement--color co-ordinated suspension parts & lube!

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock