Piston to bore clearance - 3.1? by Gary W
Started on: 04-05-2003 06:02 PM
Replies: 2
Last post by: Gary W on 04-05-2003 10:45 PM
Gary W

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2003 06:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
I've got a '91 Firebird 3.1 with no visible wear in the bores and piston skirts. The cross-hatching in the bores is all there, and there is no top ridge. I have no idea how many miles are on it. The piston to bore clearance measures out to between .0020 and .0025" with feeler gauges.
Top ring gap is .025"

According to the "How to rebuild your 60* V6" book, .0022" is max tolerance for piston clearance.

To bore or not to bore? That is the $300 question.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
4mulaFire

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2003 06:47 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 4mulaFireSend a Private Message to 4mulaFireDirect Link to This Post
Your on the verge of being ok and needing to bore, but if the engine is indeed in as good of condition as you say with no ridge and still good cross hatching you should be fine. But, If you re-ring, honeing the cylinders for the new rings will most likely change your cylinder clearence and push you up even more. It would be better to measure the size of your pistons with a micrometer, and do the same with your piston bored and see how the measurments compare.

------------------
Original Blue 87GT 5spd.
125,000 Miles, Stock 2.8L

Centerforce Dual Friction, H4 Blue headlights, Cleared Taillights, Mr. Mikes Leather, MoMo Carbon Fiber Steering Wheel, Lowered 1.5", Konig Verdict 17" Rims, Power everything, Speed Hut Gauges, Short Shifter. More Comming weekly!

Gary W

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-05-2003 10:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Gary WSend a Private Message to Gary WDirect Link to This Post
I think you're right about honing it. That will put me into piston slap territory. The overbore will help get the C/R up anyway. Anybody know a good machine shop in Western NJ/Eastern PA?

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock