Replacing Dr. Side Door Glass... HOW??? by DKOV
Started on: 03-27-2003 01:05 AM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Songman on 03-27-2003 10:00 PM
DKOV

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 01:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
Well, I did it... While working on the inner door panel I slipped and shattered the window!!!

It's dust. Completely dust.

Now... After I finish beating myself sensless, how is it replaced?

I can't see how to get into the door frame or replace the glass.

Any pointers?

DKOV -

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
opm2000

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 05:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for opm2000Click Here to visit opm2000's HomePageSend a Private Message to opm2000Direct Link to This Post
you will need to remove both the outer skin & interior skin for starters. If your hinges are flakey, I'd just pull the whole door and do it on a carpet covered work bench.
fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 08:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/028815.html

The above link will show you how to remove the outer door skin, when you get a new glass use 1/4" bolts and lock nuts to reinstall the new glass, very easy.

------------------

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
The Car is being turned into a 4RE replica so the inner and outter door panels are already off.

Does the window need to be positioned a certain way to get to the mountings? Up or down or somwhere in between?

It's a power window if that makes a difference.

The reason I ask is that I need to go pull one from a Junker before I can reinstall it into my car. If the window needs positioned, I'll need a 12V power supply to actuate it in the yard.

Thanks for you help!

DKOV -

James Bond 007

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 263
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for James Bond 007Send a Private Message to James Bond 007Direct Link to This Post
you might consider replaceing the whole door from the wrecking yard and might be the easyiest way (I daught that you would be able to get just the glass there,too time consumeing).When you reinstall the glass if you go the other route.do not over tighten the rivets or bolts (depending which you want to use) that hold the glass in or you can break the glass again.
Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
I didn't remove the outer door panel when I replaced my door glass. Didn't take the door off either. Admittedly, it is a pain though. You just gotta drill the rivets out that hold the glass in. Some people put the glass back in with bolts, but we riveted mine back in as original. It took us about an hour to do it.

Yes, you will need to be able to position the glass to get to the mounting points. Go for a manual door if possible to make it easier.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Songman (edited 03-27-2003).]

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
Okay...

Just got back from the yard with my new glass. Here's how I did it...

I removed the outter door panel. I cut the outter upper frame panel right at the door latch end and bent it forward out of the way. Removed glass.

That's it. Took me about 15 minutes.

That's not the right way nor the way I normally pull parts from a yard car but someone had already trashed the door for the power window motor so I decided it would not be a great loss.

Thanks for your help!

Now... to get it ON my car :/

DKOV -

Songman

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 309
Rate this member

Report this Post03-27-2003 10:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SongmanClick Here to visit Songman's HomePageSend a Private Message to SongmanDirect Link to This Post
The bumper stops are really the only thing that are a pain when putting a glass in. Drill those off and then re-rivet them once you get the glass in the door... As someone said, not too tight or you can break the glass.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock