Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Need a Bracket made. Anyone able to make it?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Need a Bracket made. Anyone able to make it? by Oreif
Started on: 03-22-2003 11:16 AM
Replies: 13
Last post by: West Coast Fiero on 04-07-2003 01:38 AM
Oreif

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 442
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 11:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
I posted the same request before, But now I have drawings of what I need. If interested, I do have larger pics I can email.
I need this bracket to mount my transcooler inside the side scoop panel. It can be made out of 1/8" steel or aluminum. Thanks to those that can help.

------------------

Happiness isn't around the corner...
Happiness IS the corner.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
California Kid

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for California KidSend a Private Message to California KidDirect Link to This Post
bump
coinball

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for coinballSend a Private Message to coinballDirect Link to This Post
if u need it done bad enough i guess i could weld a bunch of peices of 1/8" steel together and grind all the welds to make it look like a solid peice, don't know if u want it to be all one piece or several peices put together....LMK

------------------
Eric
'87 GT 5-speed Gold/Tan NOW with a 4.10 4-speed
3.1 TDC + other goodies coming summer of '03

-2.8 aluminum head crank, 6" SBC rods, N* pistons (11.5:1), 96+ heads, home built equal lenth headers, custom tunnel ram intake manifold, 24 #/hr injectors, and a 150 shot of N20 :)

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-22-2003 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by coinball:

if u need it done bad enough i guess i could weld a bunch of peices of 1/8" steel together and grind all the welds to make it look like a solid peice, don't know if u want it to be all one piece or several peices put together....LMK

If you can make it that way, That is fine. Actually the side opposite the right angle is the only side that needs to be flat. The center opening is the important measurements as this is where the vaned area of the trans cooler will be.

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post
Bump for the late nighters to see.
West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oreif - I can make it fer ya

------------------
( the above was the thoughts, views, and opinions of a disgruntled Fiero mechanic, and do not express or
imply those of West Coast Fiero, Fieros West, or any other organization - just that of this poor
bastard )
:)

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 02:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post

West Coast Fiero

2044 posts
Member since Jun 2001

------------------
( the above was the thoughts, views, and opinions of a disgruntled Fiero mechanic, and do not express or
imply those of West Coast Fiero, Fieros West, or any other organization - just that of this poor
bastard )
:)

Eric Nelson
Technician,
West Coast Fiero
310-305-4111

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 02:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
If you take your drawings to any local ironworks/fabrication shop, they'd make it for you pretty cheap. In my experience, metal fabrication for easy parts like this is way cheaper than most people think. Something worth looking into, anyway.

Bryce
88 GT

Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 11:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by West Coast Fiero:

I sent you an Email!
Thanks.

Posthumane

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-23-2003 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PosthumaneClick Here to visit Posthumane's HomePageSend a Private Message to PosthumaneDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:

If you take your drawings to any local ironworks/fabrication shop, they'd make it for you pretty cheap. In my experience, metal fabrication for easy parts like this is way cheaper than most people think. Something worth looking into, anyway.

Bryce
88 GT

Heh, that's funny. I thought that making an engine mount bracket would be cheap. I designed something on my computer which was pretty simple (flat iron with a couple of straight bends, and maybe 3 welds). All the places I wend to wanted 200+ CDN to make it because it was so small (about 6"-8" per side), and they didn't want to waste their time with small items like that.

Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 12:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Posthumane:

Heh, that's funny. I thought that making an engine mount bracket would be cheap. I designed something on my computer which was pretty simple (flat iron with a couple of straight bends, and maybe 3 welds). All the places I wend to wanted 200+ CDN to make it because it was so small (about 6"-8" per side), and they didn't want to waste their time with small items like that.

Perhaps you were going to places that were too big and were used to big orders? In my old hometown (Population about 600,000), there was an iron works shop that made me two basic strap brackets (each with four bends, two milled slots, and about three or four feet of 1"x.125" steel) for $40 US.

Another time I've worked with a steel supply store in a different city (population 35,000), the steel was about a quarter of what it cost to buy at the hardware store. They did cuts for $1.50 and bends for $2. They could also do radius bends, slots, etc. on any material of (almost literally) any size for just as agreeable prices. Quantity was no object, big or small, they treated you well. I was quite impressed with some of their benders. They did mandrel bends on tubing just as cheap as buying bends from Summit and such, but you could get the exact angle you wanted so as to avoid wasting pipe and doing extra welding.

Lastly, getting parts welded, especially if you already have all the pieces ready, has also been very cheap for me in the past. Only once have I had to get anything welded, as my dad has a good MIG welder I've used more than him! Once I had to get about three minutes of welding done, and the guy charged me ten bucks.

Using my experience, I'd be surprised if Oreif had to pay more than about 30 or 40 bucks for this part. It doesn't require any welding, the material is only a few bucks worth, the cuts are basic, and the bending would take about five minutes.

Anyway, good luck to you Oreif!

Bryce
88 GT

PFF
System Bot
Oreif

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 12:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for OreifClick Here to visit Oreif's HomePageSend a Private Message to OreifDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Nashco:

Anyway, good luck to you Oreif!

Bryce
88 GT

WCF is making the bracket for me. We've already discussed it via Email.
Thanks for all your responses.

[This message has been edited by Oreif (edited 03-24-2003).]

RBeaubien

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 50
Rate this member

Report this Post03-24-2003 01:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RBeaubienClick Here to visit RBeaubien's HomePageSend a Private Message to RBeaubienDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Oreif:

WCF is making the bracket for me. We've already discussed it via Email.
Thanks for all your responses.

So how much are they charging. Inquiring minds want to know!

------------------

- Robert Beaubien
- 87 GT 5-speed (undergoing 3800 Series II SC swap)
- www.fieroexcitement.com
- Rate me if I've been helpful! :)
-

West Coast Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-07-2003 01:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for West Coast FieroClick Here to visit West Coast Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to West Coast FieroDirect Link to This Post
Oreif, its been hectic as a mutha here, however will have this bracket to you this week

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock