4.9 Flywheel by Jason Kamrud
Started on: 12-30-2002 03:41 AM
Replies: 9
Last post by: rockcrawl on 04-08-2003 04:40 PM
Jason Kamrud

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 03:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason KamrudSend a Private Message to Jason KamrudDirect Link to This Post
hey guys I need to make a flywheel for a 4.1/5/9 swap. The things I need to know are:

crankshaft bolt hole circle diameter
diameter of center 'hub' sticking out of end of crankshaft
size of flywheel bolts
neutrally-balanced, right?

If I can get this info I will be able to whip up a flywheel sometime this week & do my swap.
Thanks!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 09:25 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
redoktober here on the forum already makes them.
MODIFIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 07:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MODIFIEClick Here to visit MODIFIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to MODIFIEDirect Link to This Post
http://groups.msn.com/FieroCaddySwapGroup/_homepage.msnw?pgmarket=en-us

try that just sign up lots of help for the caddy there.

P.S. you can use the flexplate that come on the 4.xL engine to get the bolt pattern

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 08:33 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The crank hub is 28mm. The bolts are 10mm. The holes are all 11mm except one which is 11mm x 10mm double D. Bolt circle is ~2.0625 inch, non critical due to size of holes. 4.9 has neutral ballance. 4.1 and 4.5 have counterweighted flywheels. All have offset bolt patterns. Good luck!
Howard_Sacks

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
User Banned

Report this Post12-30-2002 08:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Howard_SacksClick Here to visit Howard_Sacks's HomePageSend a Private Message to Howard_SacksDirect Link to This Post
So Jon, when I get a flywheel for my 4.1, I can't reuse it when I step up to the 4.9?
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 09:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
nope, but I'll sell you a 4.9 now and save you some trouble.

[This message has been edited by rockcrawl (edited 12-30-2002).]

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-30-2002 11:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
LOL....how much are you're 4.9's going for?...with the ECU and wiring harness?

------------------
My Website
1985 Chevy Camaro Iroc-Z LT1/L98
1986 Pontiac Fiero SE 2m4 - The project begins
1988 Nissan 200sx SE VG30E - The beater

Jason Kamrud

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2002 02:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Jason KamrudSend a Private Message to Jason KamrudDirect Link to This Post
Thanks alot, rockcrawl. Exactly what I needed! You mentioned that the bolt pattern is 'offset'...offset from what? Just wondering what you mean by that.

I'm going with a 4.1(not my first choice but it's free, a Goodwrench with under 10k miles on it) so I will have to figure out how heavy the counterweight is. It wouldn't happen to be the same as the 2.8's, would it?

Elenor84

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2003 06:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Elenor84Click Here to visit Elenor84's HomePageSend a Private Message to Elenor84Direct Link to This Post
Bump
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-08-2003 04:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post

You mentioned that the bolt pattern is 'offset'...offset from what? Just wondering what you mean by that.

The six bolt holes are not all 60 degrees apart. a few of the holes are offset so that it can only be installed one way. This keeps the imballance at the correct position. There is no imballance on the 4.9, but they still use the goofy pattern.

I will have to figure out how heavy the counterweight is. It wouldn't happen to be the same as the 2.8's, would it?

Not much chance of that. You'll need to measure the weight and position. It would be hard to do accurately without an electronic spin ballancer or whatever the pros use because the stock flexplate does not have a weight welded on, rather it has weight removed by way of some large odd shaped holes cut out of one side.

It's rumored that you can use a nuetrally ballanced flywheel. I'd sooner do that than have the incorrect amount of weight or have it at the wrong place. The best thing to do would be to ballance the crank and flywheel as an assembly. I've seen the effects of the wrong imballance. Both cases were 3800 engines with redrilled 2.8 flywheels. The wrong amount of counterweight and/or the wrong position. The effects were pretty drastic, huge vibration and premature bearing failure.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock