Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  3400 intake 3.1 Turbo block Fiero compatability.

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

3400 intake 3.1 Turbo block Fiero compatability. by intlcutlass
Started on: 02-25-2003 03:27 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: intlcutlass on 02-26-2003 12:23 PM
intlcutlass

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
As some of you may know, I am semi-new to the Fiero world. I had every intention of swapping a 3.1 turbo engine from TGP (1990 Vin code" V") into a Cutlass supreme. Then I found a Fiero formula. I want to ust this engine in the Fiero. I have desktop Dynoed the thing to a little over 300.(yes I have made several upgrades. This was a complete teardown & rebuild and yes the engine will be a DIS) Anyway, I don't really want to use the fiero upper & lower intake. I would like to use a 3400 heads, and lower and upper intake (If I can find em) Can anyone tell me if I use this, if it will interfere with the accys, or how some of the other crap gets mounted???
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 03:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
First off, I'd like to say that I really don't know the answer to your question. But... if folks can swap 3800 and SBC engines into a Fiero, then I think you could swap in a 3400 turbo. I'm sure there will be some things that will need to be modified for clearance, but you should be able to handle this if you have some level of mechanical ability. Sounds like a cool project. Don't forget to get the motor mounts, engine compartment wiring, and ECM from the donor car.
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 04:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
It's not a 3400 turbo, its a 3.1 that has been bored .040 over from a 1990 TGP. sorry if I wasn't clear on that.I would like to use a 3400 heads (great flow, and great valvetrain), and use the upper plenum and just grind off the "3400". I do have the ECM from the Grand Prix, but I have to get a Wiring harness.You can use a standard harness from any 3.1 car , and all I have to do is splice in the wastegate solenoid wiring.
Anyone else...help me...please
Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 04:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
I dunno for sure, but I think yes, you can use the 3400 upper half on a 3.1 lower half. I thought there was a thread on this about 3 months ago on the advantages to doing what you wanna do.
Hank is Here

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 103
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 04:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Hank is HereSend a Private Message to Hank is HereDirect Link to This Post
I must say I like the idea. Please keep us updated if you do build this car.

Hank

Steve Normington

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 155
Rate this member

Report this Post02-25-2003 05:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Steve NormingtonSend a Private Message to Steve NormingtonDirect Link to This Post
The 3400 heads have a different bolt pattern on the sides from the Fiero heads. So you will need to make custom brackets for the AC and alternator or you will have to use the brackets from the donor engine. Note that most of the donor cars put the alternator up so high that you'd have to notch the deck lid for clearance. What oil pan and timing cover will you be using?
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
I will be using the oil pan and timing chain cover from the 3.1 Turbo. The oil pan has baffles in it , and I didn't see any reason to change the cover.I have beed assured a double roller timing chain will fit under the stock cover. Let me know if I'm wrong. When I was going to do this swap on my Cutlass, NOTHING needed to be changed, but using this engine in a Fiero....well you guys who have done it know more than I, Thats why I came here. Any suggestions???
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
I have no experience here but I'm LOVING this thread. Keep us posted on your progress. I'd like to know how it turns out.
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
This is my list of work/ add on's for the motor for those interested.

3.1 Turbo "vin code V"
Bored .040 over
Ross Racing pistons # 65-32 (Dished)
Total seal gappless rings
Crane Cam #h-260-2 (good seperation, good spec)
The Fiero stores underdrive pulley #52304
Cloyes Double Roller timing chain# 220-9-3137
If I can Find the 3400 top end I will use it, otherwise I'll be using Some Comp Cams roller rocker arms # cca-1413-12
along with the matching valvetrain components and get the heads proted & polished.
Borla from Twin lakes Fiero
K&n Dual element filter installed in the wheel well.(this was fairly easy, and needed to be done to make more room in the engine bay)
Centerforce DF clutch # df201914
I have a Turbo blanket from Summit# dei-101113 along with some header wrap.
I plan on getten the chip later, but from a fella on the W body msg board.

A lot of this stuff I already have, I Only need like one or two more things, But winter always slows me down as far as working on the cars.

batboy

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 66
Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 11:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for batboySend a Private Message to batboyDirect Link to This Post
Ok, I'm getting senile and didn't read the first post very good. I now understand you have a 3.1 turbo block and lower end. So, it sounds like you don't have the 3400 heads and intake yet? What pistons do you have or plan on using. That might make a difference on what heads you can use. I know if you use the FWD aluminum 3.1 heads and intake/EFI, then you need the pistons that match the heads. Not sure about the 3400 heads, but I'd do a little research on that subject. You don't want super low compression nor do you want the pistons hitting the valves.
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 12:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post
The 3400 heads are "Supposed" to be a exact replacement (with the exception of having to use the upper and lower plenum) to the Gen II heads. No I don't have them yet. I don't want em if they aint gunna work.....
If someone with firm information tells me that a 3400 top end is a problem, I am just going to stick with Gen II heads and get some work done on them,and use the Plenum from the TGP.

PS-Steve- thanks for the info on the bolt pat. If the bracket is the biggest hurttle, I thing I can overcome that.

Anyone else have any good tid bits of info????

[This message has been edited by intlcutlass (edited 02-26-2003).]

PFF
System Bot
intlcutlass

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-26-2003 12:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for intlcutlassSend a Private Message to intlcutlassDirect Link to This Post

intlcutlass

1431 posts
Member since Nov 2002
I want to use the Ross Forged Racing pistons so that if I wanted too later , put on a bigger turbo. The Ross pistons are good for 8 to 1, And from what I have been told (so far) the heads will work fine, But that was on a FWD car. Now that I am changing all this to work in a Fiero...I'm unsure about a lot of stuff.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock