Started on: 02-19-2003 01:36 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: FieroGTT on 02-19-2003 09:51 PM
connecticutFIERO

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 224
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 01:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for connecticutFIEROSend a Private Message to connecticutFIERODirect Link to This Post
There is a 3.1 turbo from a late 80's or early 90's Grand Prix on ebay and I was wondering what HP these engines make and why they aren't being eaten up by us Fiero owners. I mean its a direct swap I think and it has to be more powerful than the 2.8. All for little effort. Sure maybe you need a more powerful fuel pump and some other extras, but it should be worth it. Any of you guys ever do this before' and how hard was it or why isn't it feasible?

[This message has been edited by connecticutFIERO (edited 02-19-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
marcustre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 02:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marcustreClick Here to visit marcustre's HomePageSend a Private Message to marcustreDirect Link to This Post
I have a 1990 grand prix turbo.
It turns out 205hp and of 220tq at 9.5psi. nice motor but you would want to get the performance chip(It brings it up to 12.5 psi) for it otherwise it's limited by turbo lag from the computer. pontiac sent the car to mclaren to design the turbo setup. the result was almost ne lag. the n when they got it back pontiac programed lag into it to make the tranny last longer.
I have 124000 miles on mine and it's running strong. I can smoke cars left and right and thats with 3300lbs.

any questions?

marcus

Paul Prince

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 110
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 03:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Paul PrinceSend a Private Message to Paul PrinceDirect Link to This Post
Having never seen a Turbo/GP, I would guess one question is where is the turbo mounted? If it is mounted up front near the water pump then you would have clearance problems, hood/strut towers.
The turbo kit for the Fiero I installed were located at the tranny. I am sure there are people who have investigated this.....Paul
rogergarrison

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 551
Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 03:03 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rogergarrisonSend a Private Message to rogergarrisonDirect Link to This Post
Im not familiar with the GP 3.1 turbo myself. I do have a Z24 3.1 with IRM turbo. I used Fiero intake on it though. Ive got 100K on mine with no problems at all. You do have to redrill starter holes on other side, but not a big deal. Still got OEM electronics and fuel pump. Its lost a little over the miles, but new it was giving 275 HP at flywheel.
marcustre

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for marcustreClick Here to visit marcustre's HomePageSend a Private Message to marcustreDirect Link to This Post
This is my car: http://www.cardomain.com/id/marcus90tgp

I don't have a pic of the turbo, but it's over the tranny. page 1 and 2 are it and 3 and 4 are photoshoped fieros.

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-19-2003 09:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
I assume one of the reasons that the swap isn't very popular is because TGP's are not the most common things out there. Kind of like the reason everyone doesn't jump on sy/ty setups for their car/truck/suv. Also, like Paul mentioned, I'll be willing to bet that the turbo piping would have to be reworked a bit too.

------------------

CLICK HERE -- Visit My Website!! -- CLICK HERE

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock