Started on: 01-09-2003 07:08 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: fierohoho on 01-10-2003 12:48 AM
Christine

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2003 07:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
Hi I am new to the forum it is cool, I need to replace both sides and the weather stripping because the thing that owned the car before me let the weather stripping get so bad it put deep scratches in the windows. I can get new glass and I have the weather stripping but I can not seem to find any thing that shows how the glass comes out and how hard is it? I have a haynes book but it just shows a fuzy picture of the inside of the door I can not even tell if the glass is held on with rivits or screws. I am also replacing the sun roof weather stripping. Can anyone help.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Ronnie

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 70
Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2003 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonnieSend a Private Message to RonnieDirect Link to This Post
Hey Christine, and welcome to the Forum!!
The window glass is held by rivets. I just drilled out each rivet and then replaced the glass with screws & locknuts. Be careful not to use a screw that's too long so it won't scratch your new glass.
Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-09-2003 10:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
Thanks I will just go for it and see how it goes

Originally posted by Ronnie:

Hey Christine, and welcome to the Forum!!
The window glass is held by rivets. I just drilled out each rivet and then replaced the glass with screws & locknuts. Be careful not to use a screw that's too long so it won't scratch your new glass.

wingo
No longer registered
Report this Post01-09-2003 11:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wingoSend a Private Message to wingoDirect Link to This Post
hey christine! a denver fiero owner...cool
hi
g2

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 12:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for g2Send a Private Message to g2Direct Link to This Post

As long as you changing out the glass, you should take a good look at the outer dew wipes, this would be an ideal time to replace those as well.

The scratches on the glass probably come from the standoffs inside the door. They look like small strips of carpeting that stabilizes the glass when rolling the windows up or down. Definitely replace if it looks worn.

One other suggestion, when you drill out the rivets, replace them with stainless steel bolts/lockwashers/nuts.

The stainless hardware is much easier to work with if you should ever need to do this or related work in the future.

Welcome to the forum,
g2

Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 12:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post
I HAVE THE WHAT I CALL THE WEATHER STRIPPING FOR INSIDE AND OUT SIDE OF THE GLASS FOR BOTH DOORS, IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN?
I ALSO NEED TO FIX THE DRIVER SIDE DOOR IT HAS A BOW IN THE DOOR LIKE SOME THING IS BENT INSIDE AND PULLING IN THE SKIN SO IT MAY BEE A BIGGER JOB THAN I WAS HOPING FOR BUT I WILL MAKE IT HAPPEN. I AM GETTING GOOD AT DOING THINGS MYSELF AND I LIKE IT.

Originally posted by g2:

As long as you changing out the glass, you should take a good look at the outer dew wipes, this would be an ideal time to replace those as well.

The scratches on the glass probably come from the standoffs inside the door. They look like small strips of carpeting that stabilizes the glass when rolling the windows up or down. Definitely replace if it looks worn.

One other suggestion, when you drill out the rivets, replace them with stainless steel bolts/lockwashers/nuts.

The stainless hardware is much easier to work with if you should ever need to do this or related work in the future.

Welcome to the forum,
g2

Christine

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 12:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ChristineSend a Private Message to ChristineDirect Link to This Post

Christine

1052 posts
Member since Jan 2003
HI. ARE YOU GOING TO PONTIAC IN JULY? IF SO WE CAN DRIVE OUR FIEROS TOGETHER. DO YOU HAVE A PIC. POSTED? I DO ON THE CHAT PAGE.

Originally posted by wingo:

hey christine! a denver fiero owner...cool
hi

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post01-10-2003 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/028780.html

https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/028815.html

Welcome to the forum, these two links I did should help getting to the glass and the dew wipes.

The rivets that hold the glass to the track are a pop rivet type, I removed the center pin of the pop rivet first with a small hammer and center punch, I did this to (5) five windows so far without breaking one, then I drilled out the rivets with a 1/4" drill bit.

There are, (2) two rivets that hold the glass to the track and there are (2) two rivets in these big white knobs that cause the window to tip in against the weather strip at the top of the windows travel when they hit the stops, if you remove them the window comes right out the top.

Welcome to the forum, good luck with the project, HoHo

------------------

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock