2.8 to 3.1 by beelizard
Started on: 12-31-2002 11:12 PM
Replies: 15
Last post by: dgroves on 01-04-2003 07:24 PM
beelizard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-31-2002 11:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for beelizardSend a Private Message to beelizardDirect Link to This Post
I have heard of people using 3.1 parts in the 2.8 to increase torque & Hp. What is the process in this/ what parts do you swap?

[This message has been edited by beelizard (edited 01-01-2003).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 10:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post
A 3.1L can be built by adding the 3.1L crank, flywheel/flexpate and pistons to a Fiero 2.8L. Everything else remains the same. This modification yields 191.5 cubic inches. If your budget can afford it, the 93-95 Camaro/Firebird 3.4L engine is the next step up at 207 cubic inches and is a fairly easy installation.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

beelizard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 11:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for beelizardSend a Private Message to beelizardDirect Link to This Post
Are the pistons the same size, does the 2.8 flywheel still work? Please give me details !!!!!!!
beelizard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 11:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for beelizardSend a Private Message to beelizardDirect Link to This Post

beelizard

69 posts
Member since Sep 2002
Are there any certain years of the 3.1 to get parts from or just any?
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 12:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
If you're looking for parts like pistons, rods, heads......the 3.1 won't work. You'll have to use 2.8 parts.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 01-01-2003).]

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 03:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageDirect Link to This Post
I am looking to do this upgrade, from 2.8 to a 3.1, displacement. Mainly because I have to do a rebuild, and would like the added displacement but also with more solid internals (pistons, rings, cranks). Any infor or good supplies would be appreciated.

------------------
87 Fiero GT (Rotrex Supercharger)
Fastest ET so far: 14.5 @ 94 mph
WWW.angelfire.com/pa5/davidfiero/

Xantavar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 05:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for XantavarDirect Link to This Post
I would also like to know more about this. Just curious... I dont have the time now to do such a thing (nor ambition). Just wanted info to keep in mind later.
IDoMy0wn Racing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 05:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IDoMy0wn RacingDirect Link to This Post
This is where I went for my stroker kit.
http://www.engine-parts.com/GMV6/gm28stroker.html

2.8 to 3.1 with a .040 bore will give you a 3.2

V/R

------------------
Ed

http://hometown.aol.com/idomy0wnracing

wiccantoy

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 90
Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 07:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wiccantoySend a Private Message to wiccantoyDirect Link to This Post
you can also find these kits on ebay all the time

------------------
go fast or go home
or just drive it like you stole it

RotrexFiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-01-2003 08:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RotrexFieroClick Here to visit RotrexFiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to RotrexFieroDirect Link to This Post
Those ARI kits. Are the pistons forged, along with the other parts? The engine will be boosted and so I need the stronger internals.
IDoMy0wn Racing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2003 05:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IDoMy0wn RacingSend a Private Message to IDoMy0wn RacingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by RotrexFiero:

Those ARI kits. Are the pistons forged, along with the other parts? The engine will be boosted and so I need the stronger internals.

ARI sells a Pro Builder kit, hypertech piston as an upgrade, if you give them a call thay can get you what ever you need. for the cost of upgraded pistons, I asked for hypertech and more compression ratio and ended up getting speedpro, teflon coated skirts, hypertech, 9.4:1. just had to ask, I like what thay did for me.

V/R

------------------
Ed

PFF
System Bot
ThatRickGuy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-02-2003 04:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ThatRickGuyClick Here to visit ThatRickGuy's HomePageSend a Private Message to ThatRickGuyDirect Link to This Post
when I had my 2.8 rebuilt to a 3.2 (3.1 crank and bored over) after all was said and done it cost about $2100. I think it was $1695 at the machine shop and $400 in shop fees (do it yourself auto shop) and random parts.

crate 3.4 enginge from GM costs like $1600.

investigate both options befor you decide. if I had it to do over again, I'd go for the 3.4

beelizard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2003 12:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for beelizardSend a Private Message to beelizardDirect Link to This Post
With the a.r.i. kit Does anyone know if the crank is just a stock 3.1 crank or is it modified to fit the 2.8 flywheel or is it just a swap to a 3.1 flywheel. I did a little research and found that the 2.8 and 3.1 flywheel have the same OD and pitch and number of teeth. They also have the same part number for the clutch, which being the smarta$$ that I am, I am guessing it is the same clutch also.
IDoMy0wn Racing

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2003 07:21 AM Click Here to See the Profile for IDoMy0wn RacingSend a Private Message to IDoMy0wn RacingDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by beelizard:

With the a.r.i. kit Does anyone know if the crank is just a stock 3.1 crank or is it modified to fit the 2.8 flywheel or is it just a swap to a 3.1 flywheel. I did a little research and found that the 2.8 and 3.1 flywheel have the same OD and pitch and number of teeth. They also have the same part number for the clutch, which being the smarta$$ that I am, I am guessing it is the same clutch also.

ARI sells a flywheel (+ $65.00 core), or you can get the 2.8 flywheel resurfaced and then it will need to be neutrally balanced (the counter weight groud off)to work on the 3.1 crank shaft. or send it to ARI they will do it all plus install new ring gear for $105.00.

------------------
Ed

FieroGTT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-03-2003 12:48 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroGTTClick Here to visit FieroGTT's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroGTTDirect Link to This Post
I have a complete 3.1 block if anyone is looking for one.
dgroves

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post01-04-2003 07:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for dgrovesSend a Private Message to dgrovesDirect Link to This Post
I've got about 10K miles on mine now and couldn't be happier.

I bought a re-mfg. crank through the machine shop along with a set of Silvolite #1486 pistons. Total machine shop bill was $1073. This would have been somewhat less but he had to replace all intake valves due to my stupidity regarding a vacuum leak. Also, the kit came with some off brand bearing inserts and I had to pay extra for the Clevite 77's. I did the assembly and installation myself. The only other add on was a Crane 2030 camshaft for $159 through Summit. It went togather without a hitch and has been trouble free. I also did the "standard" gasket match and exaust manifold mods and removed the cat. The car is an '86 GT with TH125. I could not believe how responsive and strong the damn thing is compared to the stock 2.8.

For the money, this is the best, most fun mod available. If I can pull it off, anybody can.

Good luck,
Dave

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock