'87 Headlight won't raise! by watdge
Started on: 12-09-2002 10:28 AM
Replies: 6
Last post by: watdge on 12-10-2002 01:13 PM
watdge

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 10:28 AM Click Here to See the Profile for watdgeSend a Private Message to watdgeDirect Link to This Post
Alrighty folks, I've finally pickedup my 87 GT, and there are a few things that need repair on it. The right headlight motor won't turn on. The gears are fine because I can crank it up and down, but the motor won't turn on. I'm no headlight expert, so where should I start to fix the problem?

I thought about testing the leads of the motor to see if they they are getting power, but I thought I would ask here first!

Any help would be great, thanks!

------------------

www.digitalcrystaldesigns.com

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wade87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 02:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Wade87GTSend a Private Message to Wade87GTDirect Link to This Post
Okay, so the motor doesn't run, but does the light come on? If not, you might want to consider the module. Here's some info on that: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/029384.html

If the light does come on then the problem could be the motor or its wiring and/or connector.

[This message has been edited by Wade87GT (edited 12-09-2002).]

WhiteFieroGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 03:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WhiteFieroGTSend a Private Message to WhiteFieroGTDirect Link to This Post
hey jeremy....get a rebuild kit from www.rodneydickman.com ...
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 05:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Hiya Jeremy......we haven't met but I hate you anyway......you have TTops damn it! LOL

Connect a test light to the wiring going to the actuator motor on the RH side. You should have 12v.....or the test light should light when you turn the HL switch on. Check both wires. If neither wire has fire on it.....check it at the HL module..it's behind the LH fender, hard to see and hard to get to. Remove it to access it. Check for fire on the dk grn wire and the grey wire. If you don't have fire with the HL switch on then the module is bad. It's expensive so try to find a used one if you can.
http://www.gmpartsdirect.com/results.cfm

This is an excellent source for GM parts. The module which is 16523917 is $95.40. They are usually about 1/2 price of a GM dealer. Good luck!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

[This message has been edited by GTDude (edited 12-09-2002).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post12-09-2002 07:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Read the Gen2 HL motor article in my cave. Link at top of page.

Like phil said... the module is expensive. You don't want to replace it unless you've got to.

Spin the motor up a few turns by hand then hit the switch. If it goes up now then the motor is probably binding to much.

If it still doesn't work it could be the module or fuse link C or D. Before you replace the module pull the big connector off it and make sure both main power feeds are hot.

Keep in mind the module is current sensing... if you have trouble testing with a light, use a volt meter. the meter won't load the circuit.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

Haagster

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 10:37 AM Click Here to See the Profile for HaagsterSend a Private Message to HaagsterDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:
Hiya Jeremy......we haven't met but I hate you anyway......you have TTops damn it! LOL

See Jeremy, making enemies... eerrr I mean friends already

------------------

watdge

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post12-10-2002 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for watdgeSend a Private Message to watdgeDirect Link to This Post
Hahah, yeah Don, what's a guy to do?!

BTW, thanks for the information folks. I'm going to be testing the motor and module this evening, if possible, and if it isn't soooo cold tonight!

Hopefully I'll get this fixed, I mean, it's just silly to park with one light up all the time .

------------------

www.digitalcrystaldesigns.com

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock