4 CYL SWAP '84 INTO '87 by CAPT. KIRK
Started on: 11-28-2002 01:57 PM
Replies: 1
Last post by: theogre on 11-28-2002 02:39 PM
CAPT. KIRK

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2002 01:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CAPT. KIRKSend a Private Message to CAPT. KIRKDirect Link to This Post
I bought an '87 coupe that the oil pump went bad and allowed the engine to end up with a couple of spun rod bearings. I also have a '84 with a bad body but the engine is real strong. My question is: can the TECH 4 engine in the '87 be replaced with the engine from the '84 without going through a lot of hassle. I will just part the cars if it is going to be a rewiring / replumbing nightmare.
Thanks for the help,
Kirk
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
theogre

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post11-28-2002 02:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Not happening without a considerable amount of work. For one thing that 84 engine harness has to go. It won't work in any later year. At least you have both complete cars so you can figure out mechanical fit issues.

If you can find an 85-86 Fiero L4 engine harness it may go better. Can't say for sure but those will at least be closer to start than an 84 will.

Your best bet... read the DIS replacement article in my cave. You can get used Vin R and U motors from 87-92 FWD cars for pretty cheap. You might even pickup a few HP with the later ones.

Then if you aren't fixing the 84, sell that motor to someone who can use it.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

IP: Logged

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock