Started on: 11-15-2002 07:55 PM
Replies: 13
Last post by: litespd on 02-05-2003 11:58 PM
sqoach

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 07:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
Turned on my lights, and looked over the hood. Headlight didn't pop up on the driver's side.
Everything's connected. Took all connectors apart and cleaned them up a bit (even though they looked good) and that didn't help.
The passenger side works just fine. Driver's side doesn't do anything at all, not even any noises. I tried tapping on the motor with a hammer, but that didn't help. I'm thinking maybe the relay, but wouldn't that cause the passenger side to not work also?
BTW, just got some rain when this happened. But it's rained before without problems.

Forgot to mention. This is the 87-88 headlights.

------------------

86 SE V6 - daily driven project
87 SE - new project

[This message has been edited by sqoach (edited 11-15-2002).]

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 08:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Check to see that you have 12v to the red and the pink wires going to the actuator relay for that headlamp motor. If you do, the actuator relay is bad. Rain water prob shorted it out. You can always take the one from the other side and try that one. Good luck!

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 08:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

GTDude

9056 posts
Member since Nov 2001
Oh ck for 12v on lt grn/bk and gry/bk wires at the motor. If voltage is not there, check connection at the HL door module, if ok, you need the module.

Didn't see you had 87-88 HL at first

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-15-2002 08:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by GTDude:

Oh ck for 12v on lt grn/bk and gry/bk wires at the motor. If voltage is not there, check connection at the HL door module, if ok, you need the module.

Didn't see you had 87-88 HL at first

Phil

Yeah, just added that it was the 87-88

I'll have to check that tomorrow. It's already dark and cold here

Wade87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2002 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wade87GTSend a Private Message to Wade87GTDirect Link to This Post
Mine does that occasionally after splashing about in the rain. The fix for me has been cleaning/drying the connector on the H/L door module. If you consider the location of the module and the age of our cars, it makes sense.
sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2002 12:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post
The module is the black box thing that has two connectors going to it, right? Well, I checked the connections that go to both headlights motors. No current on the driver's side. So that means I need a new module? Can I still buy those at parts stores, or are they discontinued?
sqoach

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2002 01:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for sqoachSend a Private Message to sqoachDirect Link to This Post

sqoach

6383 posts
Member since Nov 2000
Hey, I have an 87 SE! Use the module out of it (duh!)

And it works again!
Don't have to worry about the 87's headlights, because it doesn't run yet. I'll just get another module when the time comes.

Thanks for the info everyone

seadog

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-17-2002 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for seadogSend a Private Message to seadogDirect Link to This Post
BTW the GM part # for these is 16523917.
Gregory

Leave feedback

User Banned

Report this Post02-05-2003 08:41 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GregorySend a Private Message to GregoryDirect Link to This Post
I believe 86-88 fiero headlights have oem plastic gears that make the lights go up and down. what you usually find is that after a while you will see on light goes down faster than another or that one keeps running after all the way down or the worst is that it doesnt run at all. due to the fact that you have a plastic gear running against a metal one. Ive machined these plastic gears out of aircraft aluminium so that they will out last your car. easy to install or you can send the motor to me to replace, they are $30.00 a piece you only need 2 one for each motor. rodney dickman fieros only has a couple left and they are plastic those are $20.00 a piece but once again your back to plastic that is failure of braking. http://www.angelfire.com/freak2/fieros
Rodney

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 267
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2003 08:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RodneyClick Here to visit Rodney's HomePageSend a Private Message to RodneyDirect Link to This Post
I have plenty of OEM gears on hand. Since the originals lasted usually well over 100,000 miles I doubt you see one of mine ever fail. Unless someone rebuilds a headlight motor and drives his Fiero another 100,000+ miles.
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2003 12:55 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
I just noticed that Gregory is banned as of today, I wonder why?
PFF
System Bot
mbramble

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2003 01:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mbrambleSend a Private Message to mbrambleDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by avengador1:

I just noticed that Gregory is banned as of today, I wonder why?

For spamming the Forum with the exact same post he made above in about 15 different threads. Any thread that had anything to do with headlights, he pasted his 'advertisement' into it, whether his product would provide any help for the specific problem or not. Not too sure how much I would trust dealing with someone who thinks that 86-88 headlight motors are the same and that his $30 gear will repair them all.

FieroSoul

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2003 06:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroSoulSend a Private Message to FieroSoulDirect Link to This Post
Yep! 25 posts! That has to be a record.
litespd

Feedback score:    (6)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 176
Rate this member

Report this Post02-05-2003 11:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for litespdSend a Private Message to litespdDirect Link to This Post
This thread might have a bit to do with it, too...Cliff jumped into the fray...

Edit..forgot the thread:
https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/025982.html

[This message has been edited by litespd (edited 02-05-2003).]

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock