Glowing manifolds by blazin'
Started on: 10-01-2002 10:08 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: 30+mpg on 02-20-2003 08:56 PM
blazin'

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 10:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
I know, I've already done a search

Anyway, its an 85 GT Auto, and after fixing some crappy fuel lines and the fuel filter, both exhaust manifolds are glowing orangy-red, (in the dark). I know the trunk side manifold needs a gasket, but that doesn't explain the firewall side manifold glowing. I don't think there is a vacuum leak, as the idle is quite nice, and I think the timing is accurate (hasn't been checked though). And there is no cat.

What could it be?

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Icebear

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for IcebearSend a Private Message to IcebearDirect Link to This Post
you are running lean. This is the cause of the famous Fiero fires. Has the car sat for awhile? If so, check out your fuel pressure regulator.

Seperate your fuel lines on the right side by the battery, drop an electric pump into a bucket of Berrymans Injector Cleaner, let it cycle for a couple of hours.

Also, drop a note to GTDude.. he's forgotten more about fixing Fiero's than most of us know!

jnsnet

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for jnsnetSend a Private Message to jnsnetDirect Link to This Post
Have you ported the manifolds? My 85GT and 87GT would nearly always glow at night. After I ported them they haven't ever glown again.
RonD

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-01-2002 11:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RonDClick Here to visit RonD's HomePageSend a Private Message to RonDDirect Link to This Post
I have a different opinion on glowing red manifolds.

It's Normal.

I've had 4 GTs, 2-86 1-87 and 1-88. They all glowed red in the dark after you first start it when the engine normally runs rich until it's warmed up.

Then they glow just at bit during low hot idle. But if you rev the hot engine, like a steady 2000rpms, watch them glow.

Just make sure you have a good oxygen sensor and and leak-free egr tube between the egr valve and red intake....no cracks in it. You'll be fine.

I've ported the manifolds on 3 of the 4 GTs. They glow a bit less, but it's no cure.

------------------
Ron Dittmer - 88GT Automatic with 30,000 miles and climbing
Former PFF name Ron_Dundee

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 12:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
You know, I'm in the middle but generally agree. If you can see them glow in the day time something is wrong. At night, you can see some hot area's if you've really been on it. That's normal. They aren't cast iron.

A lean/high EGT glow is cherry red and blinds you in the middle of the day with neutron rated Ray-Bans on.

blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 07:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post
Yes, the car has sat for a while, but as far as I know, it was ran occasionally. The o2 sensor looks quite old.
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 08:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
If it could use it, give the car a tune-up, make sure the timing is set correct, and that the CAT isn't plugged. Most all Fiero manifolds will have a slight glow at night in spots. Its normal.
blazin'

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 08:47 AM Click Here to See the Profile for blazin'Send a Private Message to blazin'Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by fiero56:
and that the CAT isn't plugged.

It has no cat

I'm kinda thinking that it is normal, it has new plugs & wires, gonna change the oil and dist cap and pickup.

Pyrthian

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 342
Rate this member

Report this Post10-02-2002 09:42 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PyrthianSend a Private Message to PyrthianDirect Link to This Post
also way retarded timing will make 'em glow
if you set the timing without shorting the ACL
pins, you will end up with retarded timing &
glowing manifolds
jaschwa

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post11-16-2002 11:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for jaschwaClick Here to visit jaschwa's HomePageSend a Private Message to jaschwaDirect Link to This Post
I emailed blazin to find out what it turned out to be because I'm researching a similar problem. Here is his reply:

I have to agree with Phil (GTDude) that is normal for them to glow just a bit, at night that is. When I originally made the post on the forum, the car was running quite rich, and thus making the manifolds glow bright red. What I did change that seemed to improve the problem was change the coolant temperature sensor, which tells the ecm the temp. of the engine and regulates the fuel mixture based on its readings. After that, the manifolds only glowed around the exhaust ports. But there are a few things that can cause this, I guess I got lucky with it being just that sensor.

LMK!

Later!

30+mpg

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post02-20-2003 08:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 30+mpgSend a Private Message to 30+mpgDirect Link to This Post
hot
PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock