Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  How do I remove the engine from the top?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

How do I remove the engine from the top? by kru
Started on: 10-27-2002 09:48 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Toddster on 10-28-2002 03:26 PM
kru

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for kruClick Here to visit kru's HomePageSend a Private Message to kruDirect Link to This Post
I've got an 86 GT parts car that I need to get the engine out of. I've heard people say that the best way to remove an engine from a fiero is get the car up in the air and drop the whole subframe out from below. However, I don't have any way to get this car up in the air that high. So... I need to know what the best way is to get it out of the car from the top.

It's mated to an auto transmission. Should I pull them both at the same time? If I remove it without the transmission, are there any tricks to accomplishing it? I'm assuming there's a plate somewhere on the transmission that I can remove to get access to the flex-plate bolts?

Just looking for some advice from people who have done what I'm trying to do.

PS - I've already got all the visible wiring and hoses disconnected. I've also got the alternator (and bracket) removed, as well as all the strange little pipes (cold air ductwork?) and whatnot from the back of the engine compartment,plus the airbox. I plan to just cut the exhaust pipe with a sawzall.

Thanks in advance.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 10:05 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
If you have an engine hoist then you can get the car up in the air. It is much easier to pull the engine out of the bottom. Remove the dogbone and put the bolt back in. Hook your engine hoist up to that with the boom at it's maximum extension and you will get the back of the car high enough to clear the engine from underneath.

Make a wooden dolly with casters for the engine to sit on and just roll it away complete.

FIEROFLYER

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 180
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 10:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FIEROFLYERSend a Private Message to FIEROFLYERDirect Link to This Post
If you can get it high enough than you can drop the top of the struts and leave the wheels on to use to roll it out with.
500 Fiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 10:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 500 FieroSend a Private Message to 500 FieroDirect Link to This Post
Place a 4x4 wood post on the bottom of the car from one side of the car to the other just in front of the cradle assembly and a standard full size floor jack placed in the middle of the beam will lift the car high enough. Havent seen anyone pull one through the top.
Mike
fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
I always remove engine from the top. Even have picture of doing it in GFC under "engine rebuild pics."

I no nothing about auto transmission so I can't answer the question about that. I do clutches by lowering cradle, engine removal from the top.

lurker

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 236
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2002 09:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for lurkerSend a Private Message to lurkerDirect Link to This Post
i've removed the engine from my 2m4s twice out the top, once with manual tranny attached, and have put the engine and tranny (as one unit) back in thru the top. i ass/u/me the auto trans would do the same.
it's probably not easier than dropping the cradle. you need a comealong (hoist), some chain, and something sturdy to hang it from. i'll try to make a link to pictures tonight.
ah, here it is!
http://www.mtsu.edu/~mkr2c/fiero.htm

------------------
'84 2m4 se, a work in progress

[This message has been edited by lurker (edited 10-28-2002).]

freedog81

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2002 12:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for freedog81Send a Private Message to freedog81Direct Link to This Post
It is easier for me to remove it from the top I have tried both. All you have to do is unbolt the torq converter from the flexplate and remove all of the bolts that hold the accessories on the front of the engine. Then remove the decklid and the exaust from the manifolds. Remove the front engine mount dog bone and little shock thing on the front of the engine. Lift it a little and pull it away from the trans. Watch the forward exaust because it will try to catch on the torsion bars lines and everything else in the front. But after that it is smooth sailing instillation is reverse of removal but with the auto jack the pass side of the trans at the tripot to make it easier to get the trans and engine lined up.
mindscape

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2002 12:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mindscapeSend a Private Message to mindscapeDirect Link to This Post
Remove the alternator and bracket. Drop the air conditioning compressor. It will come out the top - no problem.
Toddster

Feedback score:    (41)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 503
Rate this member

Report this Post10-28-2002 03:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ToddsterSend a Private Message to ToddsterDirect Link to This Post
It's your decision but if you do choose to go through the extra grief of taking it out the top then be sure to remove the decklid first. Use a scrib to mark the hinge locations and remove the 4 side bolts.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock