Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  4.9 swap info manual.....Rockcrawl,others??

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

4.9 swap info manual.....Rockcrawl,others?? by Dragon1
Started on: 10-11-2002 07:45 AM
Replies: 4
Last post by: ED's85GT on 10-12-2002 10:22 AM
Dragon1

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 07:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Rockcrawl,
You have succesfully done the 4.9 swap and seem to be very happy with it.Also you seem to be very knowledgable technically and electrically.I will be accumulating parts this winter to do a 4.9 swap next spring.I know that I will have a million questions to ask as do a bunch of other people.I would also not want to experiment with things,I want a plug and play swap,After reading these posts for about a month,especially the 4.9 ones I read an archived one last night that says you are using one axle from a 6000 and one from a Fiero.This was the first time I had heard that before.Anyway if you would/could gather all of your 4.9 swap info/expieriance and put it in some kind of manual with mount blueprints,sequence pictures,and part numbers to make our swaps easier I would be willing to pay you for this manual,and I'm sure others would too.
Not that I'm lazy,I just want to do it right the first time and enjoy.I have pulled and reinstalled several motors so I have the expieriance,I've been wrenching for over 25 years,I do all my own vehicle repairs, I have just not done any hybrids and worry about the wiring changes and idiosynchrisis(big word!!!)that will come up...
Thank you, Brian
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 08:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
Right now there is so many different ways of doing it, since there is no kit made we have all made our own. And those of us who have already done the swap have made our own stuff required out of what we have available. For example, I work at a Pontiac/Buick dealership and used alot of components I had laying around, like a firebird ecm, grand prix alternator, welded my own mounts, used a torque dog bone. Same for Rockcrawl and others, we use what we have and what we know what will work, and will likely be different the next time we do it.

------------------

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks PBJ for the reply,I am looking for things that people are doing the same,things that work.I have full confidance that I can do this swap,I was just looking for shortcuts,like I said plug and play...
I was wondering though,why the 6000 axle?
Didn't he have a Fiero axle to put in and this was laying in the corner,or is the axle diameter bigger,whuch would help to prevent torque steer from the unequal length stock axles.Also BJ's site says use the tranny mounts off the 6000 4 speed auto...If this is the same tranny that the 4.9 has could you use the ecm from the 6000??Then you wouldn't have to worry about the info that the 4.9 ecm can't recieve from the Fiero.
I've been a CNC machinist for 27 years, making things work is what I do best!!!
Thanks, Brian
PBJ

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 11:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
The 6000 light duty axles are the correct length for an overdrive transmission. Have you seen Rockcrawls site? http://www.fieroaddiction.com/
ED's85GT

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2002 10:22 AM Click Here to See the Profile for ED's85GTSend a Private Message to ED's85GTDirect Link to This Post
Brian, the pontiac 6000 trans mounts are recommended because they bolt right up to the
trans and the craddle.
As far as the ecm goes, the pontiac 6000 is a v-6 (i belive) and the 4.x is a v-8

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock