Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Anyone have performance mod info for the Caddy 4.9?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anyone have performance mod info for the Caddy 4.9? by godalex
Started on: 10-09-2002 01:53 AM
Replies: 11
Last post by: fierogsmith on 10-13-2002 06:50 AM
godalex

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 01:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for godalexSend a Private Message to godalexDirect Link to This Post
Ed Parks and others really like this swap, and I find it to be a cost effective alternative, but I have never seen anyone mention any specifics of performance mods. Anybody know anything about the internals? Whether the journals are the same to use 350 rods, piston options, stock compression, whether any of the engines came with aluminum heads, intake options (fuel injection), cams?

Thanks, Alex

------------------

85 F-40 Replica (unfinished)
88 GT 5-speed
02 Millennium Yellow C5

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
CaddyRob

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for CaddyRobClick Here to visit CaddyRob's HomePageSend a Private Message to CaddyRobDirect Link to This Post
From what I understand it is difficult to enhance this engine without a lot of money. It goes into valve float around 6k rpm, and there really isnt any aftermarket suport. You would havee to have a cam custom reground. There are a couple companies around that have some info about it. You could always check the Caddy forum at www.gmforums.com if you wanted more into on its performance abilities. Or try one of the 4.9 cadero forums.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 09:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Internal engine mods destroy the cost effectiveness of this swap. There are a few bolt-ons, like Rockcrawl's upper intake: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum2/HTML/027105.html

or an Allante intake manifold: https://www.fiero.nl/forum/Forum1/HTML/020425.html

or if you're welding inclined, you can build headers, but there ain't much more.

If you want power, lay out for an SBC.
If you need a lightweight engine, either lay even more out for an aluminum SBC, or buy an ASG 5.0 conversion for your 4.9.

fix her up

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 10:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fix her upSend a Private Message to fix her upDirect Link to This Post
I have a swap in mind, but the Caddy 4.9 is really crowding my decision, but that is another story. I found through the Forum a Caddy high performance link. They are doing some really wild things, like dual turbos, or a Weiand supercharger built engine making 600 HP at 9 PSI. The only bad thing about their services and products is the price. Complete engines from $600 to $35,000 depending on how wild you want to get. So much for the critique, here is the link http://www.chrfab.com ...enjoy!
Jim
godalex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 02:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for godalexSend a Private Message to godalexDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Caddy Rob, Will, and fix her up. I had already searched all those links provided, except for Gmforums. (Don't know why I didnt think to go there and take a peak) Chrfab has an impressive site, but at those prices....

I just knew from past experience that 350 rods can be used in a 60* V6, and things of that nature, so I thought maybe, just maybe, there might be a few performance parts that would crossover to the Caddy 4.9. Keep the info comming and thanks again!
Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post10-09-2002 04:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fix her up:
I have a swap in mind, but the Caddy 4.9 is really crowding my decision, but that is another story. I found through the Forum a Caddy high performance link. They are doing some really wild things, like dual turbos, or a Weiand supercharger built engine making 600 HP at 9 PSI. The only bad thing about their services and products is the price. Complete engines from $600 to $35,000 depending on how wild you want to get. So much for the critique, here is the link http://www.chrfab.com ...enjoy!
Jim

CHRFab makes some impressive stuff, but their stuff is for the Northstar, NOT the 4.9. The 4.9 is ENTIRELY different and nothing interchanges.

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 05:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guy , Give this site a try : http://www.angelfire.com/stars/mycaddy/asg.htm

Hope this helps .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

[This message has been edited by fierogsmith (edited 10-11-2002).]

godalex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 05:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for godalexSend a Private Message to godalexDirect Link to This Post
The link does not work...
fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 10:30 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by godalex:
The link does not work...

I've got this site set up on my " Favorites " . Just tried pulling it up useing favorites and it came right up . Checked to see if I typed the right site address , then double checked . Not sure why it's not pulling up on PFF . It's got me scratching my head . I've had trouble with " Angelfire Sites " before , the exact same problem .

Galen

Dragon1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Dragon1Send a Private Message to Dragon1Direct Link to This Post
write the address down then type it into the address section of your browser,(about 1" from top of computer screen,left hand side)then push enter the site comes right up...
godalex

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-11-2002 05:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for godalexSend a Private Message to godalexDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Galen! And thanks Dragon1, typing it in manually worked.
PFF
System Bot
fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2002 06:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by godalex:
Thanks Galen! And thanks Dragon1, typing it in manually worked.

Just checked back . Glad to see that you were able to access the site . Thanks Dragon1 .

Galen

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock