Passkey by RedFrk
Started on: 09-28-2002 09:36 PM
Replies: 14
Last post by: StansGT on 09-30-2002 10:15 AM
RedFrk

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 09:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedFrkSend a Private Message to RedFrkDirect Link to This Post
I am putting a 96 Camaro 3800 in a S10 and i am having some problems. I got the engine in and i have been wiring the engine for a while now. Today the engine finally fired up! It will only run for a couple seconds before shutting down. I can keep starting it and it will start everytime. Does anyone know if it is the passkey system shutting the engine down? I was under the impression that the computer would only let the engine start up once every 10 minutes for a couple seconds. Mine keeps starting up. I am hoping it is the passkey because i have checked everything else.

Now i know its not a fiero! But i know nobody knows engine swaps better than fiero drivers.

Thanks for any info!

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
fierodustin_86

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-28-2002 09:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierodustin_86Send a Private Message to fierodustin_86Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by RedFrk:
I am putting a 96 Camaro 3800 in a S10 and i am having some problems. I got the engine in and i have been wiring the engine for a while now. Today the engine finally fired up! It will only run for a couple seconds before shutting down. I can keep starting it and it will start everytime. Does anyone know if it is the passkey system shutting the engine down? I was under the impression that the computer would only let the engine start up once every 10 minutes for a couple seconds. Mine keeps starting up. I am hoping it is the passkey because i have checked everything else.

Now i know its not a fiero! But i know nobody knows engine swaps better than fiero drivers.

Thanks for any info!

Two things. Someone has made a freq. generator to make it work. The sight is http://www.ipass.net/~fieroman/terranexus/fieroman/speedo.gif
Also there is a gentleman in Canada that can make a chip that will turn that off and upgrade the performance. His name is Kevin Margitta and his email is speakerconnection@rogers.com
It is a little pricey but I am told that it is well worth it....
If you are ever interested in putting a supercharger from a Grand Prix let me know. I have an extra...

------------------

86 Fiero SE

fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 07:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
the supercharger from the gp wont work on the 3800 in a camaro, unless you do numerous things first. Heads are different, intake manifold, throttle body (then where to put it since it will be sitting right in the firewall) the pistons are different (higher compression in L36's) the rod bushings are different if you want to upgrade pistons. Computers are different, wiring harness, fuel injectors, fuel rail, valve covers, fuel pump and probably a few other things Im forgetting because its 6am.

As for passkey Im not sure about the 96 engines but it may be a fuel pump shutoff. Its probably a fuel injector kill, which would mean you need to have it deleted from the pcm (Via Kevin Margitta, hes the best) or make a spoof, but you may want to try hot wiring the fuel pump first. Just make it stay on all the time. If this doesnt work you may have an ignition kill, so hook your hot lead (pink wire on the coil pack) directly to power when the key is on, and if that doesnt work that you have fuel injector kill, which is impossible to bypass unless you have a spoof. Try those two things first, good luck.

------------------
coming soon: Intercooled, T-60/M90 twin charged L67. Goal: 415 rwhp.

http://www.fieroX.com

f#@k the naysayers, cause they dont mean a thing...

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 10:29 AM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
The passkey will act that way. It is easy to make the VATS box for about $7 it takes a lmm555 timer and some resistors and capacitors. I will make a drawing on auto cad for the circuit and post it later . It is the BCM that has the feature to prevent the car from starting after so many attempts ( which is what sends the 40-60 Hz signal to the PCM). When first testing my LS1 one of the wires fell off my VATS box and it did the same thing( they were just twisted together at the time) the drawing in that link is not a VATS box. Looks more like a speedo buffer but I am not sure. I am not familiar with the 3800 system either but on the LS1 the pcm won't ground the injectors if it does not receive the signal.

------------------
LS1 in and running

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

I have one more question Do you have a BCM already?

[This message has been edited by LS1swap (edited 09-29-2002).]

RedFrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 10:52 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RedFrkSend a Private Message to RedFrkDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for helping everyone! I am glad to see this is the vats. I did hot wire the fuel pump and coils, same results. I have a Walbro 255 so i think it has enough fuel pressure.

I am not sure what a BCM is, but i probably dont have it.

No i am not planning on puttin a M90 on, i already know how difficult it would be, but thanks for the info on it.

Can i buy a remote start bypass kit and make it permanent to get around this?

If so, does anyone know what security system i actually have, vats, passkey 1, passkey 2?

------------------
92 S10
3800 S2 UNDER CONSTRUCTION!

PBJ

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 147
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 12:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PBJSend a Private Message to PBJDirect Link to This Post
This is what you need to defeat passkey. http://www.fieroaddiction.com/passkey.html

------------------

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 04:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
The BCM is a body control module. It is what reads the resistor on the key. Determines that it is correct and sends a 50Hz signal to the PCM the circuit I made similar to the other one just a little less complicated. It operates on 5v DC which is the correct voltage for the PCM.

------------------
LS1 in and running :)

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

TK

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 200
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 07:29 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TKSend a Private Message to TKDirect Link to This Post
Red Frk, what ECM/PCM are you using?
RedFrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 08:06 PM Click Here to See the Profile for RedFrkSend a Private Message to RedFrkDirect Link to This Post
I am using the stock computer from the 96 3800.

LS1swap- thanks for the link and pictures but i really doubt i would be able to make that, i have no background in electronic components.

I found this bypass kit, will this work?

Bypass Kit

------------------
92 S10

[This message has been edited by RedFrk (edited 09-29-2002).]

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 10:23 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
It appears that it would... It says "by communicating directly with the engine management system" I think this means it send the 40-60 Hz signal to the PCM, but I am not sure. I would need a wiring diagram, or install instructions to be sure. Some vats bypass boxes only send the correct resistance to the BCM. But you don't have on and neither did I. That is why I couldn't just use one, but I didn't find this one when I was looking. If I had to guess I would say yes, but I will be honest and I really don't know it all depends on which way that box works at defeating the VATs. I know it looks complicated but it really isn't all the parts are available at radio shack. I imagine you are in a rush (I don't blame you I would be too) if you would like I could solder you one up, but it would probably take a week to get to you.but if the other works it would prbly be faster.
fieroX

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 372
Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fieroXSend a Private Message to fieroXDirect Link to This Post
strange. They must of changed it in 98 because my friend Tom did an L67 swap into his lumina and defeated VATS by running hot to the fuel pump. My engine is a 97, but my pcm is a 95 that has every circuit rewired, and it has injector ground kill. Kevin took care of that though.
PFF
System Bot
MOBILE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-29-2002 11:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MOBILESend a Private Message to MOBILEDirect Link to This Post
Because Camaro's used the older style round column like the fiero, they uses the older VATS system. Usually the chip in the camaro key is measured by a VATS module. When it sees the correct ohms it sends a signal to the factory ECM. This bypass module that your looking at will work great. It simulates the same signal that the VATS module puts out.(and newer systems, too. You need to find a wire going into the computer usually called the "fuel enable" wire. Hook this up to that data wire of the module. This will turn on the injectors and the car will run great.

Good Luck,

MOBILE

P.S. AND for everyone else, GM used all kinds of systems, I know VATS(passkey I,II) and PassLock all used the same Fuel enable signal. The 97 Grand Prix also used this signal, but it wasn't it the key or column, it was part of the factory keyless/alarm module.
Some cars need signal at the BCM others it goes into the PCM/ECM.
The newer cars have a transponder based passkey 3. I'm not sure how this works YET!

MOBILE

------------------
Member MN Fieros Forever 1986 GT. Self Installed SC3800/getrag almost everything performance wise is modified/upgraded, inside and out. Over 10 years in Car Audio and Car Electronics Experiance P.S. GOT 19"s??(all the way around)

RedFrk

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 09:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for RedFrkSend a Private Message to RedFrkDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the help Everyone. Looks like my truck will be starting soon.

LS1swap- thanks alot for offering to make me a box. I think i am goin to try that kit, but if that doesnt work ill probably sent u an email.

------------------
92 S10

StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 10:12 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post
People, people, people, seriously,, all you must do to bypass the vats2 or vats3, or any of the passkey systems is to goto a dealer that will service your OBD2 computer. They, then will delete your keys and VAT2-3 setup with no qualms. Then you simply plug your computer in and remove the pin for fuel ON/OFF and your engines injectors will fire just fine, with out running in to limp mode issues either. With a good 40-50#'s of fuel your motor will never know it had an keyed ignition switch, "not that pressure has anything to do with it".

------------------
02' 3800SC Poly, Koni, Enkei

StansGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-30-2002 10:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StansGTSend a Private Message to StansGTDirect Link to This Post

StansGT

914 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Or you could reprogram your computer to a Holden Commodore 3800 and it'll do the same thing plus run with a better fuel map setup.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock