? for N* owners with manual trannys by OH10fiero
Started on: 09-19-2002 12:43 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Will on 09-22-2002 09:37 PM
OH10fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-19-2002 12:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for OH10fieroSend a Private Message to OH10fieroDirect Link to This Post
I have been thinking of a V-8 for my fiero, and I am interested in the N*. My question is what tranny are you using, and how does it react with the N* ? I would like to use a 5 speed tranny, do you guys have any recomendations? what I am looking for a somthing that will act like the Getrag with a V6, and avoid something like the reaction of the 4 speed that has the 4.10 running gear. In other words I don't want to feel like I need to shift every time I select a new gear, and when I am in top gear I do not want to feel like there should be another gear that should be selected, like the 4.10 has been notorious for. Thanks in advance.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
BigTurbo87GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 12:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for BigTurbo87GTSend a Private Message to BigTurbo87GTDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of doing a Northstar 87 GT with the Fiero Getrag 5 Speed.
Can't tell you about how it runs yet, not that far along. But, I can't imagine an automatic in a small sports car. Since the N* is a pretty flexible motor (decent torque down low and great HP up high) the 5 speed should do well. I would like the getrag gears to be closer together but not planning on doing any hardcore racing so it's fine for my purposes.
Another advantage to the Getrag (or any manual I would imagine) is the weight savings over an automatic. The stock Caddi auto weighs something like 300-325lbs, that equals the motor very nearly. The Getrag is somewhere around 125lbs (I can pick it up and move it around pretty easily so it can't weigh too much).
I would imagine the 4 speed would do ok too, the Northstar can be somewhat easily modified (only the valve train needs help) to turn in excess of 7500 RPM.
artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 01:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Stickshift is the way to go with the N*.

The stock Fiero Getrag 5-speed will bolt right up (you have to grind clearance for the starter inside the tranny, it's not too big a deal, takes about 10min.)

The N* is an amazing motor. It's bottom end is nutty-strong. It's valvetrain limited at stock redline of 6750.

With JUST a Cams, Springs, and retainers swap, it will turn 9,000. http://www.chrfab.com talk to Alan.

I have his 288* duration cams, have yet to install them though (need more than your usual tools, it's a modern motor.)

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 09:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
The Getrag's good, but my engine isn't running correctly. It doesn't have full torque at low RPM yet.

I've heard the Isuzu's taller 1st gear especially and slightly taller gearing overall is better suited to a V8's torque than the Getrag's super low 1st gear.
I haven't tried the Isuzu yet myself, but I may eventually if I can assure myself that it will clear the N* coolant manifold before I go to the trouble of taking the Getrag out.

In any case, a manual N* is oodles of fun. My exhaust isn't that loud, but the engine sounds incredible.

I was following two friends through town a week ago, but the guy right in front of me didn't realize it was me. He told me later that he was looking at the headlights in the mirror and thinking "Is that a Trans-Am? Is that a Corvette? Is that supercharged??? Oh yeah, I know a V8 Fiero that sounds like that."

On another occasion I raced the same guy (lightly modded AWD Talon) from 60ish to about 100 on the highway. Once I got out the low RPM torque reduction I pulled him like crazy. He told me later that my car sounded totally badass, like a cross between a pretty mean V8 an a jet engine. Gotta love DOHC valvetrain noise.

BTW, the redline didn't go to 6700 until later in the production run. The chip I have is based on a stock N* program and has its limiter at 6200.

[This message has been edited by Will (edited 09-20-2002).]

88formula

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-20-2002 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for 88formulaClick Here to visit 88formula's HomePageSend a Private Message to 88formulaDirect Link to This Post
Will,

I can compare those transmissions for you on my drag program if you want. I just need a torque and horsepower curve for that Northstar engine and I can do the rest.

I also need a vehicle weight including you in it. I already have the gear ratios for all the fiero transmissions.

------------------

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-21-2002 01:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by 88formula:
Will,

I can compare those transmissions for you on my drag program if you want. I just need a torque and horsepower curve for that Northstar engine and I can do the rest.

I also need a vehicle weight including you in it. I already have the gear ratios for all the fiero transmissions.

Please do. I'm curious. How does it consider shift times & wheel spin? For instance, California Kid has recorded his best acceleration times starting with his Getrag in 2nd gear, eliminating the 1-2 shift and reducing wheel spin off the line. His engine has a lot more torque than a N*, but the principle is the same.

This is for the MY2K and newer engines: http://www.gm.com/automotive/gmpowertrain/engines/northstar/apps/nstar.htm

This is for the older engines:

As you can see, much to Artherd's chagrin, the newer engines have slightly more low RPM torque than the older ones.

Just use a stock Fiero V6 5 speed weight. The difference betweent the 2.8 and N* is much less than the weight of a tank of gas.

I weigh 235 and am running 255/50-16's if you really want to split hairs.

Thanks

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-22-2002 09:37 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
bump

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock