Started on: 09-10-2002 08:46 PM
Replies: 7
Last post by: Sootah on 09-12-2002 12:38 AM
Sootah

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 08:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
Not in my Fiero, but in the Truck I am looking at getting. The guy says that it runs well, all exept for the #1 spark plug hole is all but stripped. Is it possible to have a machine shop re-thread the hole while the head is still attached to the block?

I can't remember what make the truck is (I think Mazda or Nissan), but its an '89 with a 2.6L 4 banger.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Indiana_resto_guy

Feedback score:    (15)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 163
Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 09:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Indiana_resto_guySend a Private Message to Indiana_resto_guyDirect Link to This Post
Head has to come off to do anything.
ClearDark

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-10-2002 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ClearDarkSend a Private Message to ClearDarkDirect Link to This Post
You can Heli Coil it....I bought a kit at true value. You might be able to re thread it with that kit without popping the head..I dont know though.
Lounge Daddy

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 12:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Lounge DaddySend a Private Message to Lounge DaddyDirect Link to This Post
Actually, there is a kit out there but its a sleeve,. kinda sorta. The hole needs to be tapped, then you screw in this black sleeve. I seen it at parts plus about a year ago. They come in different sizes for different size plugs.

Bob

alf

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 01:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for alfSend a Private Message to alfDirect Link to This Post
Linde Co. --- Tool manufacterer makes a thread chasing tool that can be used on engine without removing heads. I bought mine at a commercial tool supplier. I would guess a company like Snap-Tools would have them and another possibility could be Sears --------alf
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 567
Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 08:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
If the hole is actually stripped, which is very common in aluminum heads, there is a way to do this with the head mounted AND keep the crap from falling into the motor.

If it's carbed, the carb has to come off... EFI it doesn't matter. Carb has to come off or you'll blow fuel everywhere. Very bad. If you have EFI with Mass air, then disconnect the Mass air from the intake. You don't want to risk damaging the sensor. (Technically you could do this with the exhaust but you risk blowing crap up the exhaust into the engine. Intakes are usually pretty clean except for some carbon.)

Remove the plug.

Connect a shop vac so it blows air into the intake manifold. It doesn't have to be a perfect seal. just good enough to make most of the air go into the motor.

Rotate the motor so the intake valve opens on the cylinder you need to work. This will let the shop vac blow air out the plug hole.

Now work the plug hole over and install the Helicoil kit according to directions. Wear goggles because the shop vac will be spitting things at you.

WARNING! Thread inserts are setup by both diameter and the lenght of the threeded section of a plug. You must install the right lenght sleeve as well as the right diameter. Helicoil brand sets usually come with one of each length in the kit.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

LS1swap

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-11-2002 10:46 PM Click Here to See the Profile for LS1swapClick Here to visit LS1swap's HomePageSend a Private Message to LS1swapDirect Link to This Post
The shop vac idea sounds good... In addition I would put grease on the tap to hold the burr

------------------
LS1 in and running :)

http://ls1swap.tripod.com/

Sootah

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 53
Rate this member

Report this Post09-12-2002 12:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SootahClick Here to visit Sootah's HomePageSend a Private Message to SootahDirect Link to This Post
In a B-Series Mazda pickup, how hard is the head to pull? (Ya know, just in case)

This truck is in pretty good shape body/interior wise, so I'd like to fix it up. Lets just hope my Daytona sells fast...

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock