Started on: 09-07-2002 10:50 PM
Replies: 6
Last post by: Dennis LaGrua on 09-08-2002 10:34 PM
Mike Murphy

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2002 10:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mike MurphySend a Private Message to Mike MurphyDirect Link to This Post
Ok....I'm curious. Found an 86-88 2.0 turbo Sunbird. Complete turbo unit may be good but engine not. How easily can this turbo be adapted to a stock 2.8 in Fiero or has anybody done this with any success? If I don't get it I'm sure it will go to the crusher and I'm sentimental I guess hate to see it go to waste.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2002 11:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
That turbo is tiny. OEM turbos are notorious for being too small, their target is a fast 0-30 car. Put that on the 2.8 and you will have a fast 0-20, but after that it would pretty much be like a clogged exhaust and a scorching hot intake charge.

Find yourself an 84-86 Ford Thunderbird turbo coupe with the Garrett T3. Then go to Turbonetics and order part #'s 30298 & 20367.

wingman

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2002 11:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for wingmanClick Here to visit wingman's HomePageSend a Private Message to wingmanDirect Link to This Post
would it work on a 2.5 duke?
gearjammer1980

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for gearjammer1980Click Here to visit gearjammer1980's HomePageSend a Private Message to gearjammer1980Direct Link to This Post
Wingman, it should work on the Duke. I have an IHI turbo off a Tbird and am currently in the process of gathering materials and data to put it on my 84 SE. So far, T3 data is easy to find IMO, but IHI data is a pain to find as no one seems to know much about them.
Joseph Upson

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 04:13 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Joseph UpsonSend a Private Message to Joseph UpsonDirect Link to This Post
The sunbird turbo will work perfectly on the 2.8L as long as you use two of them, otherwise it is entirely tooo small. I tried it years ago when I made my start in turbo madness. It's the equivalent of a clogged catalytic converter on a 2.8. You should use at least the T-3 with a .63 turbine housing from the T-Bird. It's the same turbo found on most of the 80s chrysler and Saab cars however the exhaust outlet on the ford version is more suitable for the Fiero. Most of the models on the Saab are oil cooled only and have the better compressor housing design as far as connecting an air filtering system to it.
vegasfiero

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 06:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for vegasfieroSend a Private Message to vegasfieroDirect Link to This Post
hey guys it worth putting a turbo on a car with 120,000 or would it be better to just do the 3.8 sc kit.

scott

------------------
dont drive fast in school zones

Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post09-08-2002 10:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by vegasfiero:
hey guys it worth putting a turbo on a car with 120,000 or would it be better to just do the 3.8 sc kit.

scott

After 120,000 miles that engine is tired. A turbo with low boost may work for a while but people who have turbo engines tend to use the power. Run max power on a 120,000 mile engine and you may not get much life.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock