Turn signal works...sometimes by neverendingproject
Started on: 09-06-2002 04:50 AM
Replies: 8
Last post by: neverendingproject on 09-07-2002 02:18 AM
neverendingproject

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 04:50 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
I took the tail lights out of my '86 GT to remove the bumper cover and when I put it all back together the left turn signal wouldn't work. It just stayed on without blinking. I took it apart again and tried it, it worked but when I wiggled the wires that go to either of the bulbs for that turn signal, one would go out and the other one will just stay lit without blinking. I also noticed that all of the sockets have a sticky grease in them, is this normal? Any info would be much appreciated.

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT
'84 2m4 project car

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 08:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Is this a new problem or have you had it all along? I had a similar problem and it turns out that the previous owner had wired the front turn signal wrong. Another thing that could cause something similar is a burnt bulb. Are all your bulbs good? Hope this helps. Also check for any frayed wires. The grease on the bulbs is special dielectric grease and it is normal.
David DeVoe

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 08:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post
I had a similar problem. My left turn signal didnt work, found a bad socket on the front light. Replaced the socket everything worked great until the other day when suddenly no left turn signal, all the lights work but no flash. Let me know what you find out on yours ok
David DeVoe

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 08:51 AM Click Here to See the Profile for David DeVoeSend a Private Message to David DeVoeDirect Link to This Post

David DeVoe

1358 posts
Member since Jul 2001
Oh yeah I almost forgot. Is it normal for the marker lights to flash with the turn signal and is it normal for the flashers to be real slow?
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 09:01 AM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by neverendingproject:
...when I put it all back together the left turn signal wouldn't work...

Looks like it's right turns only, from now on . Sorry - some doofus had to say it ...
lawrence

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 12:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for lawrenceClick Here to visit lawrence's HomePageSend a Private Message to lawrenceDirect Link to This Post
Fieros have a thermal flasher that is load dependent. In other words, if one or more of the lamps is burned out (or not connected) the flasher will cycle very slowly, or not at all.

So, you must be sure that all the bulbs are good, and that they are making good contact in the sockets. The grease is normal (keeps the moisture out of the fixtures). Pull the bulbs, clean the contacts on both the bulbs and the sockets (or maybe even replace the bulbs) and you should be OK.

If not, then perhaps, coincidentally, the front bulb burned out. Check that.

Good luck,

-L
http://www.webelectricproducts.com/products.htm - Sequential Turn Signals, Daytime Running Lights, Rapid Flashing Brake Light

neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 08:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
All the bulbs do work but before I had this problem and the flasher worked, it was really slow. Not Incredibly slow but enough to notice. I've tried different flashers so I guess I have to get some new bulbs too. The problem is new but I've only had the car for about 4? months anyway. I'll let you know what happens. Thanks guys

------------------
Alan Frazier
'86 GT
'84 2m4 project car

neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-06-2002 09:42 PM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post

neverendingproject

786 posts
Member since Aug 2002
Ok I replaced all the bulbs including the front one but still have the same problem. There's no evidence of corrosion in the sockets but I think I narrowed it down to one bad socket. When I wiggle one in the rear it'll work sometimes so I'm going to replace that socket. Anyone know where the tail lights ground? I'd like to check this first but the manual doesn't say anything about it. Oh yeah I pulled back the wrapping around the wires and they look fine. Now that I replaced the bulbs it flashers at the same speed as the right signal by the way. Oh and David, it's normal for the front marker lights to flash with the turn signals, just not the rears.
neverendingproject

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post09-07-2002 02:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for neverendingprojectSend a Private Message to neverendingprojectDirect Link to This Post
Success! I suspected it was a bad socket after what you guys told me so I changed the one in question and everything works like it's supposed to. Only one thing, the left still blinks a little slower than the right turn signal. Oh well no big deal. Thanks everyone! Now to go for a test drive

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock