Awesome cooling fan upgrade. by FieroV6Dude
Started on: 06-21-2002 06:05 PM
Replies: 10
Last post by: watts on 10-13-2002 02:26 AM
FieroV6Dude

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 06:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post
I pulled up to the drive thru last week, the cooling fan kicked on, it was embarassing...noisy, vibration, etc...

Went to Lane Automotive and purchased a Spal 16 inch puller fan, model # SPA30100231 $98.00 If you cut the 4 arms that hold the original fan and motor flush with the rest of the shroud, the Spal will set right in the shroud like it was made for it. I used 4 machine screws with lockwashers to mount it. It looks like it came from the factory with it.

Spal fans are original equipment on Mercedes and BMW's are ultra balanced, have a low power draw and move about twice as much air as the stock fan.

Lane Automotive is a national distributor for performance parts supplying Drag Racers, Circle Track Racers, Hot Rodders etc. They will UPS anywhere. Their number is 616-463-LANE.

The new fan runs about half as long as the old one, has no vibration and barely moves the voltmeter when it kicks on.

The best part is it looks like it is factory installed.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Mickey_Moose

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 144
Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 06:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mickey_MooseClick Here to visit Mickey_Moose's HomePageSend a Private Message to Mickey_MooseDirect Link to This Post
...can you post some pictures??

thanks
Tim

JD86GT350

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 06:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for JD86GT350Send a Private Message to JD86GT350Direct Link to This Post

Originally posted by Mickey_Moose:
...can you post some pictures??

thanks
Tim

I second that, sounds neat =)

birdpoo

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-21-2002 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for birdpooSend a Private Message to birdpooDirect Link to This Post
is this it?
FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 02:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post
That's the one...
G-Nasty

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 225
Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for G-NastyClick Here to visit G-Nasty's HomePageSend a Private Message to G-NastyDirect Link to This Post
I would like to see someone put a S-Blade Fan on a Fiero. I was going to but Derale never gave me an answer. Fiero owners should always be on the look out for advanced fan designs. Good Post bro-
OUT>
Denny

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-22-2002 07:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for DennySend a Private Message to DennyDirect Link to This Post
Here's their web site:

http://www.laneautomotive.com/

------------------

Mid Atlantic Fiero Owners Association
New England Fiero Association
Keystone State Chapter, P.O.C.I.
P.O.C.I.

fierohoho

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 221
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2002 05:00 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierohohoSend a Private Message to fierohohoDirect Link to This Post
Here is the web site for the actual manufacturers of the SPAL fan, you can order from them direct, go into FAQ and scroll down and they have an 800 number.

G-Nasty, they have a curved blade fan on the site in a 16", according to their info a curved blade fan will run quieter than a straight blade but it pulls a little less air.
http://www.spal-usa.com/html/spalhome.htm

[This message has been edited by fierohoho (edited 06-24-2002).]

theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post06-24-2002 07:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
Permacool and Flexalite are two other established brands. The links for them are in my cave.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

fierosound

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 286
Rate this member

Report this Post10-12-2002 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierosoundClick Here to visit fierosound's HomePageSend a Private Message to fierosoundDirect Link to This Post
I'm in the process of detailing my front trunk compartment, and radiator area. I also decided to upgrade the fan at this time as per the earlier suggestions. As my car did not have a fan shroud, I got one from Bob at Kick Hill Parts ( http://www.kickhill.com/fiero.html ) for mounting the new fan.

I used a Proform Fan PN# 67016 http://www.proformparts.com/catalog/fans.html
The new fan/shroud combination really modernizes the look of the area!

[This message has been edited by fierosound (edited 10-12-2002).]

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post10-13-2002 02:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by fierosound:
[B]I'm in the process of detailing my front trunk compartment, and radiator area. The new fan/shroud combination really modernizes the look of the area!

And from the looks of it, pretty much eliminates that chance of loosing a digit when a finger wanders too near the stock guillotine at an inopportune moment.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock