Started on: 06-17-2002 12:10 PM
Replies: 26
Last post by: solotwo on 10-27-2002 08:59 PM
CC Rider

Feedback score:    (14)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 61
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 12:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Check the condition of the rubber hoses that connect the fuel filler pipe and vent tube to the gas tank. Under car at the back end of the fuel tank.
This weekend I filled my 88gt up and went to wash the car. When I got to the spray wash I noticed gas fumes coming from the engine bay. Looked all around and then under the car where I noticed gas dripping down right in front of the catalytic converter. I nursed it home ( less then a block) and jacked it up. Found the rubber vent tube, next to the rubber filler tube, had split. In further investigation I found all rubber hoses in the same area to be in bad shape. Cracking and very dry was the biggest problem. Please inspect these hoses as soon as you can.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
avengador1

Feedback score:    (7)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 571
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 12:32 PM Click Here to See the Profile for avengador1Send a Private Message to avengador1Direct Link to This Post
Thanks, I'll make sure I do tonight.

------------------

DR650SE

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 58
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 12:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DR650SEClick Here to visit DR650SE's HomePageSend a Private Message to DR650SEDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for that tid bit. My carhas 168K miles so it probably needs a check up.

------------------
AIM: DR650SE
2 Black 86 SE's V-6 4-SPD

LCD Project COMPLETE

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 08:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Bump - just wanted to try and get this read by all
Sage

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 69
Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 08:43 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SageSend a Private Message to SageDirect Link to This Post
Good tip! Pretty logical, if you think about it,but how many think about it? I hadn't till now.

Thanks for GOOD information.

Pilrulz

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 09:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PilrulzSend a Private Message to PilrulzDirect Link to This Post
This is very important. My car was doing the same thing about a week ago, and it appears to be a fairly common problem. Everybody should check this!

pil

gargoyle

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 09:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for gargoyleSend a Private Message to gargoyleDirect Link to This Post
A well deserved bump
Wrench

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-17-2002 10:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WrenchSend a Private Message to WrenchDirect Link to This Post
Just checked my 86GT. 203,000 miles and the rubber is still ok. Thanks for the Safety tip.
FieroRacer

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2002 04:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroRacerClick Here to visit FieroRacer's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroRacerDirect Link to This Post
I'll have to check that on Demon before I toss the engine back in.
88QuadPagasus

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2002 04:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for 88QuadPagasusSend a Private Message to 88QuadPagasusDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the advice...I'll check those lines this week.

------------------
88 Quad 4
98 CamaroSS Convt(for sale)
70 CamaroRS (under resto)

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 04:16 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Bump
PFF
System Bot
fear1

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fear1Send a Private Message to fear1Direct Link to This Post
Great information, I'll check it tonight. It quits leaking after about 2 minutes, but gas leaks are always something not to ignore. Car only has 70XXX miles, but living in the south Florida heat can't be good on rubber.

------------------
1988 Fiero GT Fastback
Maroon with T-tops.
By the way, username is not because I am a cocky A__hole, Last name+1 is the true reason.

Pyric

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 05:15 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PyricSend a Private Message to PyricDirect Link to This Post
Too bad Rodney only makes steal replacments for the vaccuum lines.

------------------

"Never offend people with style when you can offend them with substance."
--Sam Brown

mvstar

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 08:10 PM Click Here to See the Profile for mvstarSend a Private Message to mvstarDirect Link to This Post
Does anyone know if these hoses are still available ???? they would be a different material than a radiator hose to stand up to gasoline. does anyone have part numbers ALL OUR CARS ARE VERY OLD
cadaver

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 09:17 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cadaverSend a Private Message to cadaverDirect Link to This Post
If its not a prebent hose and you can use a length of straight hose. Mil-h-6000 is fuel hose that come up to 2 inch and is relativly cheap
bHooper

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-04-2002 11:04 PM Click Here to See the Profile for bHooperSend a Private Message to bHooperDirect Link to This Post
i will check mine this week.

thanks!

------------------
hoop
Red
'86 GT
5 speed
Borla Exhaust
Eibach's/Poly/Kyb's

CC Rider

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 12:40 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CC RiderSend a Private Message to CC RiderDirect Link to This Post
Bump

Don't want anyone to loss their car due to a simple fix

I'm Back

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 12:53 PM Click Here to See the Profile for I'm BackSend a Private Message to I'm BackDirect Link to This Post
It is a preformed hose and you can't buy a new one any longer. Thye were 11 bucks 4 years ago, and then they were gone . GM sucks. I've had to drop several tanks and I would automatically change them out, but now I have to nurse them. Eventually I'll have to buy some straight and make it work.
CoolBlue87GT

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 151
Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for CoolBlue87GTSend a Private Message to CoolBlue87GTDirect Link to This Post
I'll check mine when it gets over 2000 miles, lets see, year 2017 ???

lol

Good info for all of us, I'll check mine for real.

Thanks

F86GT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-25-2002 11:34 PM Click Here to See the Profile for F86GTSend a Private Message to F86GTDirect Link to This Post
good advice. we can add this to list list of things that commonly "go" on the fiero. very good advice. i'm sure a lot of people would have never even thought of that. i know i wouldn't have. but with 36,000 miles that not something i really need to worry about. i will check it though, just to be extra safe.

------------------
86 GT in all of its 36,000 original mile glory

okla86fierogt

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2002 02:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for okla86fierogtSend a Private Message to okla86fierogtDirect Link to This Post
bump
PFF
System Bot
fierochris86se

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2002 03:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for fierochris86seSend a Private Message to fierochris86seDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the heads up

------------------
-Chris
www.geocities.com/m60chris

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2002 09:15 AM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Does NAPA or anyone else have these hoses?
fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-26-2002 12:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithSend a Private Message to fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey CC Rider , thanks for the heads up . I'll check it out tommorrow morning ( Sunday ) . The weather in Florida takes it's toll on any automotive rubber . I've had the car for nine years and never thought to check it . Thanks again .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

You got a positive rateing from me .

[This message has been edited by fierogsmith (edited 10-26-2002).]

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 08:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Thanks dude......we NEED to look out for each other.....I'll check mine today! Gas and cat conv don't mix well....lol.
You got a pos rating from me just for looking out for us......maybe more will follow your example.

Phil

------------------

GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

fierogsmith

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 07:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fierogsmithDirect Link to This Post
Hey CC Rider , checked out my baby this morning , like I said I would . Every thing looks fine . Thanks for the heads up . Gave you a positive rateing . We need more posts like this on the Forum . This is the kind of post that this Forum is all about . I owe you a beer .

Galen Smith
Red 85 Sport Coupe
Founder of Suncoast Fiero Club
Florida Fiero Council

solotwo

Feedback score:    (9)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 62
Rate this member

Report this Post10-27-2002 08:59 PM Click Here to See the Profile for solotwoSend a Private Message to solotwoDirect Link to This Post
Checked mine this morining. Looks like it was replaced. Had the ideal type clamps on it. I dont think GM uses thoese. Thanks for the heads up!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock