Started on: 08-01-2002 01:58 AM
Replies: 5
Last post by: FieroV6Dude on 08-01-2002 08:02 AM
Capt Fiero

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 260
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 01:58 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Capt FieroClick Here to visit Capt Fiero's HomePageSend a Private Message to Capt FieroDirect Link to This Post
Ok I have been dealing with the itnermitent ghost wipe for some time and now my turnsignals have decided to stop canceling. I am finnally going to break down and fix this. But I have never taken the steeting columb apart before. Can anyone tell me what I am going to need to replace as well as how long I should plan on taking to do this.

------------------
David hotrodfiero@shaw.ca
85GT 2.9 4spd

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 02:06 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
I'm getting the ghost wipe on my cavalier too, hope it isn't the lever 'cause cruise control equipped lever are around a hundred bucks.
The turn cancelling springs are only about a quarter, but the steering wheel has to be pulled to put them in, figure a couple hours if you've never done it before. Probably should borrow a steering wheel puller, although a damper puller will work if the right bolts are handy, can't remember the size off hand.
Gridlock

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 220
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 02:24 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GridlockSend a Private Message to GridlockDirect Link to This Post
ghost wipe, or pre-rain detection technology are caused by the circuit board on the motor having a short in it. Mine starts doing it when I've been driving for an hour and it starts getting warmer (or when its just about to rain) also the delay switch in the motor itself can have problems but I haven't worked on those. As far as I know, these problems are not related to the cc arm.

Trev

------------------
"You obviously have a great economy with words, I look forward to your next syllable with great eagerness"

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 06:49 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Ghost wipe is cause by either the electrical board for the delay or the wiper switch inside the steering column itself. Sounds like you also have turn signal issues which is a good thing if you need a wiper switch cause you can do both at the same time. You will need a steering wheel puller and a lock plate depressor....ususally available for rental.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

mcconnellsp

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 07:43 AM Click Here to See the Profile for mcconnellspSend a Private Message to mcconnellspDirect Link to This Post
If it turns out that the problem is in the wiper/cc/turn signal stalk, an aftermarket replacement is available at AutoZone under the MotorMite "Help" section. The finish is dull black instead of gloss black but otherwise looks identical. I am certain that is is well below $100.
Good luck!
FieroV6Dude

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post08-01-2002 08:02 AM Click Here to See the Profile for FieroV6DudeClick Here to visit FieroV6Dude's HomePageSend a Private Message to FieroV6DudeDirect Link to This Post
Even though the cruise/turn signal stalk doesn't contain the wiper switch, I was getting the "ghost wipe" alot. Ended up being the stalk. The end of the washer portion of it had cracked and was triggering it. I replaced it with a new one from Auto-Zone's "Help" section for $34.95. To make it easier to pull the cable through use a piece of flat telephone cord and tape it to the flat electrical connector of the old stalk and use it to pull in the new one. Feed one end while pulling the other. Took me 10 min. to replace it.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock