NEED HELP with rocker adjustment!!! by raph130
Started on: 07-18-2002 11:14 PM
Replies: 11
Last post by: raph130 on 07-21-2002 07:30 PM
raph130

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-18-2002 11:14 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raph130Send a Private Message to raph130Direct Link to This Post
I got the valve cover off already, one or some rockers make a knocking noise, and i know they are not adjusted right. How exactly shoudl it be done? Tight loose..should i be able to move the rockers a little bit or should it all be tight.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Synthesis

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 294
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 12:00 AM Click Here to See the Profile for SynthesisSend a Private Message to SynthesisDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by raph130:
I got the valve cover off already, one or some rockers make a knocking noise, and i know they are not adjusted right. How exactly shoudl it be done? Tight loose..should i be able to move the rockers a little bit or should it all be tight.

Loosen the nuts on the rocker arms until the arms are loose. Then, going by the specs in the Haynes manual, use one hand to spin the push rod in place, and slowly tighten the nut down until the push rod can't spin anymore. JUST until it stops turning...
Then, tighten it by 3/4 of a turn...

Be careful to follow which cylinder you are working on, because Both valves MUST be closed, and the lifters must be resting on the smooth side of the cam, rather than the lift, or the drop on the other side of the lobe.

raph130

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 01:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raph130Send a Private Message to raph130Direct Link to This Post
Ive been trying for over an hour and i think i just madeit worse. Anyone in new bedford, mass could help me out?
MODIFIE

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 03:14 AM Click Here to See the Profile for MODIFIEClick Here to visit MODIFIE's HomePageSend a Private Message to MODIFIEDirect Link to This Post
Depends on what engine you have some are adjustable some you torq down. get you a repair manual on the car and do what it says it will tell you to rotat the engine to a # on the timing marker and you will adjust or torq the # of valves it tells you and then you will rotat again and do the same on the others

------------------

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 03:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonSend a Private Message to PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
You said 'rocker cover' singular so it must be a four. Whew.

Take out the spark plugs and put your finger in the hole while you crank the engine. When the finger gets blown out of the hole stop and adjust the rocker per previous intructions. Do this for all the cylinders.

Rodrv6

Feedback score: (2)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 76
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 05:56 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Rodrv6Send a Private Message to Rodrv6Direct Link to This Post
If it is a 4 cylinder, then there is NO adjustment on the rockers. The rocker nut is torqued down against a shoulder on the rocker stud. If there is still noise, then you either have worn out lifters or pushrods. The V6 is the only Fiero engine that uses the 3/4 turn method mentioned above. This is per the factory book and experience.

------------------
Rod Schneider, Woodstock, Ga.
White 88 GT :)

GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 08:04 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Rodrv6:
If it is a 4 cylinder, then there is NO adjustment on the rockers. The rocker nut is torqued down against a shoulder on the rocker stud. If there is still noise, then you either have worn out lifters or pushrods. The V6 is the only Fiero engine that uses the 3/4 turn method mentioned above. This is per the factory book and experience.

I agree.......or you could have a bad camshaft or even a bad rocker arm.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

raph130

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 11:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raph130Direct Link to This Post
its a chevy 350
raph130

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-19-2002 11:09 AM Click Here to See the Profile for raph130Direct Link to This Post

raph130

153 posts
Member since Jan 2002
are the rods supposed to be spinning and going up and down with engine on, or just up and down?

[This message has been edited by raph130 (edited 07-19-2002).]

Phaeton

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2002 12:18 AM Click Here to See the Profile for PhaetonDirect Link to This Post
The lifters should be spinning, I suppose the pushrods will be turning some also.
The 350 uses the take out all slack and tighten 3/4 turn method just like the 2.8 does.
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2002 08:38 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
Go to a parts store and get a set of rocker clips. They keep the oil from splattering with the engine running.

With the engine running......turn the rocker until it just starts to make noise then turn it 1/2 to 3/4 of a turn. It may miss for a second or two until the lifter adjusts to it. Do this to each rocker. If you have any that won't adjust or the noise comes back.....you have a bad lifter and/or camshaft.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

PFF
System Bot
raph130

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-21-2002 07:30 PM Click Here to See the Profile for raph130Direct Link to This Post
yeah i Did all that. I thinks its a lifter.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock