Corsica 3.1 Auto O)verdrive Lockout..Help by pja
Started on: 07-12-2002 08:24 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: StuGood on 07-15-2002 07:25 PM
pja

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-12-2002 08:24 PM Click Here to See the Profile for pjaSend a Private Message to pjaDirect Link to This Post
Hi, I have a 1990 Chevy Corsica 3.1 V6 auto...the lockup for overdive does not disengage...thus I have removed the wire plug to the tranny. The plug has 4 wires, purple, beige, black and green. Does anybody know which wire I can put a switch in so I could
reconnect the plug and obtain overdrive on the highway by the switch. Thanks for your imput.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2002 12:03 AM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRSend a Private Message to afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
Ok.......I'm confused, are you talking about the torque convertor lockup or are you talking about overdrive. OD isn't electrical on these units so I'm assuming you're talking about lockup.
Don't hack the wiring, go get a lockup solenoid from GM and replace it.
pja

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2002 06:13 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pjaSend a Private Message to pjaDirect Link to This Post
Hi afRaceR, sorry about the confusion...it is the torque converter lockup. How hard is it to replace the solenoid ? Is it easily accessable once the tranny pan is removed?
Thanks.
GTDude

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 287
Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2002 07:31 AM Click Here to See the Profile for GTDudeDirect Link to This Post
There are lots of things that can cause the TCC to stay engaged. Personally considering the cost and aggravation factor.....I'd just leave it unplugged. Done hundreds if not thousands this way with no ill effect.

Phil

------------------
GTDude
OVER 25 years GM experience

pja

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2002 09:44 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pjaDirect Link to This Post
Thanks Phil for your input. I've been driving it around unpugged for about 5K miles. Just thought I could get a "quick fix" with a spiced in switch. My wife uses the car mostly around town, so it really doesn't get on the highway that much except once a month when I take it to clean it out.
Peter
Purr-fections

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2002 10:46 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Purr-fectionsDirect Link to This Post
afRaceR

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2002 07:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for afRaceRDirect Link to This Post
You can wire in a switch but I think it would be more of a hassle then to actually replace the solenoid. Like Phil said there are a couple of other things that could cause this, 9 times out of 10 the solenoid is what keeps lockup engaged though.

There's really no problems leaving it unplugged for running around town except for slightly less gas mileage. But if you do highway driving - even a couple hundred miles - can burn your transmission up. The lockup function actually helps to cool the transmission fluid.

I would eventually get around to fixing it though.

Purr-fections

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-13-2002 08:52 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Purr-fectionsDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by afRaceR:
can burn your transmission up.

I agree with everything you said until you came to that burn up part. Temp of the tranny is controlled by the transmission cooler in the radiator which both heats and cools the tranny depending on conditions. Lots of us have had the TCC unplugged for years and I do a 600 mile trip which is 10 hours straight a couple times a year. I might get around to replacing the soleniod toward the end of the summer.

pja

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post07-14-2002 05:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for pjaDirect Link to This Post
Hey Guys, thanks for more imput..especially the write-up from Purr-fections. I guess I'll replace it when I don't have anything to do .ha.ha.ha in the meantime I can return to work my 86 SE.
StuGood

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 68
Rate this member

Report this Post07-15-2002 07:25 PM Click Here to See the Profile for StuGoodSend a Private Message to StuGoodDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by pja:
...in the meantime I can return to work my 86 SE.
Aha! I knew this had to be a Fiero-related tech question somehow!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock