Exhaust bolt thread size???? by ED Beard
Started on: 06-18-2002 07:45 PM
Replies: 5
Last post by: ED Beard on 06-20-2002 06:51 PM
ED Beard

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2002 07:45 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED BeardSend a Private Message to ED BeardDirect Link to This Post
I'm replacing the front(firewall side)(stock)exhaust manifold on my 88V6. I got a replacement manifold at the local recyclce yard and the bolt that attaches the crossover pipe to the manifold is frozen solid in the nut. I've had it soaking in Yeild rust buster all day, no effect, so it looks like I'm gonna have to cut it off,drill and tap the nut. Anyone know what the thread is for this nut???? Thanks

------------------
fasteddie_91932

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Doug Chase

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 88
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2002 09:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Doug ChaseSend a Private Message to Doug ChaseDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by ED Beard:
the bolt that attaches the crossover pipe to the manifold is frozen solid in the nut. I've had it soaking in Yeild rust buster all day, no effect, so it looks like I'm gonna have to cut it off,drill and tap the nut.

It's 8 x 1.25.

Put some heat on it and it'll come out with no effort at all. That'll be lots easier than cutting, drilling, and tapping.

------------------
Doug Chase
Duvall, WA
'88 Fiero Formula 5-spd (autocrosser)
'88 Fiero GT 5-spd (daily driver)
'85 Fiero GT 4-spd (rally car)

partfiero

Feedback score:    (19)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 83
Rate this member

Report this Post06-18-2002 11:36 PM Click Here to See the Profile for partfieroSend a Private Message to partfieroDirect Link to This Post
ED Beard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2002 01:11 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED BeardSend a Private Message to ED BeardDirect Link to This Post
Thanks for the thread info. I am an old time mechanic/machinist and I'm really not up to speed on metric threads. I probabably did not give enough info the first time , This manifold that I was trying to get the bolt out of only had 1/4 inch or so of bolt sticking out of the nut in the manifold on each side. It was d#*mn near impossible to get channel locks or vise grips on, in addition to being rusted solid. I cut the remainder of it off today, drilled it and now I'm off to Home Depot for a tap, all I have in my garage are good old USA thread taps. Thanks

------------------
fasteddie_91932

fiero56

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-19-2002 01:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for fiero56Send a Private Message to fiero56Direct Link to This Post
A little trick of mine for next time.

When I replace the crossover to manifold bolts, I use 7mm bolts. These pass through the nuts that are welded to the manifolds. I then use an appropriately sized nut and washers to secure the crossover to the manifold. This way, no matter how rust and beat up the bolts/nuts are the next time you have to remove the crossover, you can just cut through(Dremel) the 7mm bolt and easily separate the crossover, never having to deal with rusty bolts again. a HUGE time savor. I do it everytime now.

ED Beard

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-20-2002 06:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for ED BeardSend a Private Message to ED BeardDirect Link to This Post
That's a great idea on the 7mm bolts and nuts. Too bad I didn't read that reply before I bought that tap and retapped the nut. Oh well I guess that I needed the practice with the tap. If there is ever another next time(OH PLEASE NO NEXT TIME) I'll use your idea. Thanks

------------------
fasteddie_91932

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock