Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  2.8 Turbo inline 6 Nissan 280zx engine... can it be done?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

2.8 Turbo inline 6 Nissan 280zx engine... can it be done? by soup
Started on: 06-04-2002 12:45 AM
Replies: 10
Last post by: Will on 06-04-2002 07:39 PM
soup

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 63
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 12:45 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
Hey, just as the topic says, has anyone ever tried to fit an inline 6 Nissan 280 ZX turbo engine in a Fiero.

I have seen what this engine can do, and it gets pretty decent gas mileage. I want it.

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
TheTechnician

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 01:27 AM Click Here to See the Profile for TheTechnicianSend a Private Message to TheTechnicianDirect Link to This Post
Anything can be done if you have enough time and money ........!
soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 01:32 AM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
that's true. I can get the engine for nothing. I want to know how difficult it is. There are a lot of engines that I hear are almost direct bolt ins. Im wonder if this is one, or close to being one.
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 02:07 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
You said it yourself: "inline 6"

Measure things. You'll find that an inline 6 most likely won't fit.

It would also need a transmission adapter plate.

artherd

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 97
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 03:08 AM Click Here to See the Profile for artherdClick Here to visit artherd's HomePageSend a Private Message to artherdDirect Link to This Post
Got Bux? (and talent?)

If I was going to do an I6, it'd be the Supra's powerplant far and away.

Best!
Ben.

------------------

Ben Cannon
88 Formula, T-top, Metalic Red. (2:13.138 at Sears Point) "Every Man Dies, not every man really Lives"
88 Formula, Northstar, Silver, In-Progreess. -Mel Gibson, "Braveheart"

Anubis

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 11:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for AnubisSend a Private Message to AnubisDirect Link to This Post
Soup: Why would you think that a Japanese engine (or a different Car Manufacturer's engine) would in any way be a direct bolt-in into a Fiero? Oh, and my opinion would be that it's not worth the money to do it.

[This message has been edited by Anubis (edited 06-04-2002).]

soup

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 02:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for soupClick Here to visit soup's HomePageSend a Private Message to soupDirect Link to This Post
well i have heard from a few places that the designer for the 300zx was the same designer of the fiero Gt (something like that anyways.. could be a rumour also) So then I started to think, that if the 300ZX and Fiero are similar, what about the 280ZX, and I doubted that it would be a direct bolt in, but I was hoping I would be able to use the same transmission.

Anywho, thanks for the help guys, what would you guys say would be the best way to minimize gas mileage, but increase power.

Since i bought my Fiero I have been thinking about the 3800SC, but I am not even sure the best place to get one, or the power rating of it, or the price... so yeah.. any ideas guys? I want a high 12 second car, I know the 3800 SC can hit it.

recluse

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 03:50 PM Click Here to See the Profile for recluseSend a Private Message to recluseDirect Link to This Post
Just take that 2.8 turbo and throw it in an early 240z.
iluvmacs

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 05:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for iluvmacsClick Here to visit iluvmacs's HomePageSend a Private Message to iluvmacsDirect Link to This Post
you'll need custom engine mounts and extensive engine bay work to get that and the tranny to clear. You could throw it in the front and run a driveshaft if you're going to have to do all that anyways. I've seen it done before.

I'd much rather see a toyota/mazda/nissan turbo 4 cylinder in a fiero. Lighten it up a bit and a high-revving 4 should move it right along.

Slammed Fiero

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 206
User Banned

Report this Post06-04-2002 06:26 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Slammed FieroSend a Private Message to Slammed FieroDirect Link to This Post
Why?

Do you have any idea what that I6 weighs? I have alot of datsun friends, (Local autocross club) In anycase they say if they swap to a 350 it's the same weight.

Besides , you all are missing out on the 270hp I6 in the new Blazers , all aluminum... This engine probably has the same bolt circle as a 350 chev , since GM kept the same tranny when they swapped from the 4.3 to the I6 engine. In otherwords you could use an archie adaptor plate

Why backdate to a motor thats old tech by today's stds?

JM

Will

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post06-04-2002 07:39 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
But the Vortec 4200 is still an Inliner.

Go to your local Chevy dealer and take a look at this engine. It won't fit in a Fiero without enough work to make an LT1 swap look easy. The "all new Trailblazer" is "all new" because it had to accomodate this engine.

PFF
System Bot

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock