Started on: 05-30-2002 12:26 AM
Replies: 17
Last post by: Pontiaddict on 06-01-2002 09:41 PM
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 12:26 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Perhaps this should be in O/T, but it is technical and (I hope) will contain information which can be applied to Fiero conversions with this engine.

I am convincing myself to buy a '73 Triumph Stag desperately in need of restoration. Since it currently has no engine or transmission, and the stock replacements are, well... British, I thought of putting an American V8 into it. The SBC is quite tight and IMO, too heavy for this car. The SBF is... Ford. The LS1 would be marvelous, but is quite expensive, and tight fit and really would be too much power for the chassis. A Northstar still involves control difficulties, as well as fitment difficulties involving its huge cylinder heads and rear mounted waterpump.

The remaining choice (since I don't want a V6) is the Caddy 4.9. However, I need some info about parts update/backdate-ability.

My preferred method of controlling this engine involves using an HEI distributor. Did the 4.9's ever come with distributors? Are distributor manifolds from earlier engines compatible with the 4.9 and adaptable to port fuel injection? Do they use front or rear distributors? I've heard that 4.1 tubular manifolds make a good base for headers. Are V6 F-body/S10 5-spds the only available manual trans options, or is there a bellhousing which will mount a T56? I would love to have 6 gears, and that engine should have quite sufficient torque to deal with that O/D.

Is there any useful information on these topics in Bubbajoe's forum? Is there another Cadero forum around?

If you don't know what a stag is, check out this link: http://www.davidsims.ukgateway.net/photos.shtml

IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Wipe0ut

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 12:35 AM Click Here to See the Profile for Wipe0utClick Here to visit Wipe0ut's HomePageSend a Private Message to Wipe0utDirect Link to This Post
I know that in 1991 Cadillac introduced the 4.9L V8 into its Deville line.. 200 horsepower and 275 torque. It doesn't seem like too big of an engine (my friend bought a '91 Deville today)
cadero2dmax

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 06:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cadero2dmaxSend a Private Message to cadero2dmaxDirect Link to This Post
The early 4.1's came with an HEI distributor, I believe. Use the distributor, trash the engine!! The 4.1 was what gave this engine a bad rep, but the 4,5 and 4.9 were both wonderful motors.

I'm curious why you want to use HEI, instead of the dist that mates to the Caddy injection? Were you going the carb route?

G

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 06:57 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post
Hey, I had a Triumph Stag for years. I had to rebuild the stock engine due to a spun main bearing that is had when I bought it. I loved that car. I saw one while at the last Carlisle show.

------------------
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 96
Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 07:16 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
All 4.9s use a HEI distributor with a cam sensor for injector timing. The distributor is at the rear of the engine like a chevy.
westtexas

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 07:53 AM Click Here to See the Profile for westtexasSend a Private Message to westtexasDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:
All 4.9s use a HEI distributor with a cam sensor for injector timing. The distributor is at the rear of the engine like a chevy.

Ok, I'm have some ignorance here. Why does Bubba put Olds internals in the Caddy disrubutor housing? Does the Caddy ECM control the spark advance in the Caddy distributor? As far as I know, Bubba's modified version uses springs to advance without any vaccuum.

Robert

rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 03:54 PM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
They have electronic advance controlled by the ECM. As I undersand it, Joe is converting them to use vacuum/centrifugal advance. You could also leave the distributor alone and use a computer just for spark advance. But if you go that far you might as well just keep the EFI.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 04:22 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
AFAIK, Bubbajoe's distributor is for use with carbs.

I will be using EFI. I've been experimenting with a relatively inexpensive fully laptop programmable sequential EFI setup, but it requires an HEI distributor. We have the prototype running in our TPI 400 Jaguar, but I want to put a couple more on as diverse a collection of engines as I can muster, before we go further with it.

All 4.9's use HEI distributors, eh? That simplifies things.
Exactly what years were 4.1's, 4.5's, and 4.9's made? What year engines/vehicles should I look for to find a set of early tubular manifolds?

Where can I get an Allante intake? It appears to lengthen the runners, so I assume it bolsters low RPM torque even more. Is this the case?

Skitime: how well did the Stag drive? I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. This is one of the extremely rare instances in which I've fallen in love with a car's looks, pedigree, and exclusivity, rather than performance.

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 09:18 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
Someone put a scanned copy of an "Automotive Rebuilder" magazine article on the 4.x caddy, on the internet. (17 pages over a 2 month span)
I can't remember who it was, (Was it you Cadero2dmax?) But I have a copy of it. It's a bit hard to read though.
If you want it, and can accept a 1.2MB attachment in your email, let me know.
Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-30-2002 09:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I don't think I can accept one 1.2 MB chunk, but if you split it in half I should be able to take it.

Thanks everyone!

Kwez

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2002 09:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for KwezClick Here to visit Kwez's HomePageSend a Private Message to KwezDirect Link to This Post
if you can't find what you're looking for,
you could try this to figure out what years/cars had what engines : http://www.geocities.com/motorcity/track/2582/cadillac/cadindex.html
PFF
System Bot
Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-31-2002 10:38 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
Email sent
rockcrawl

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2002 10:36 AM Click Here to See the Profile for rockcrawlClick Here to visit rockcrawl's HomePageSend a Private Message to rockcrawlDirect Link to This Post
The automotive rebuilder article is on my website in the Cadero section. www.fieroaddiction.com

4.1 used until '87, 4.5 88-89, 4.5 PFI '90, 4.9 91-94.

skitime

Feedback score:    (10)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 332
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2002 11:11 AM Click Here to See the Profile for skitimeSend a Private Message to skitimeDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Will:
Skitime: how well did the Stag drive? I haven't had the chance to drive one yet. This is one of the extremely rare instances in which I've fallen in love with a car's looks, pedigree, and exclusivity, rather than performance.

The Stag drove great. I had nearly every model Triumph they made and created a few that they didn't make. It drfinitley drove the best. It has power steering a first for Triumph. It was the first production sports car ever with the factory T roll bar. It defintily could use more power but had a very smooth running engine. I might even have the factory manual around here and some books on the Stag if I can find them. I had the convertible and almost only drove it with the top down. Fun car!

Mach10

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 165
Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2002 12:08 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Mach10Send a Private Message to Mach10Direct Link to This Post
If you want a 4.9, get it. But be sure to dig up a 4.1 distributer, and any olds/chebb HEI system. You can follow bubba's instructions (they work), although they are a little incomplete. VERY close, though)

Carbing is pretty easy...

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2002 02:12 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by rockcrawl:
The automotive rebuilder article is on my website in the Cadero section. www.fieroaddiction.com

4.1 used until '87, 4.5 88-89, 4.5 PFI '90, 4.9 91-94.

That's who it was. Thanks for putting it up for people to see.
It's really a good read, even if you're not looking to build a 4.9.

Will

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2002 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
Email received, thanks. I read the article with interest.

I'm curious about the BOP patterned 4.5 SRP block that the article mentions. With some grinding that the article mentions, a 4.9 could be built in this block, right?

Are there BOP bellhousings available for the T56? I'm wondering if it might be easier to find a BOP T56 bellhousing than a transverse pattern T56 bellhousing.

Pontiaddict

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post06-01-2002 09:41 PM Click Here to See the Profile for PontiaddictSend a Private Message to PontiaddictDirect Link to This Post
There is an aftermarket t56 made to work with a t5 bellhousing. The bellhousing to trans mounting pattern between a "classic" GM bellhousing and the t5 is the same except for the entire thing is rotated 17 degrees. What most people do with that is re drill those holes in the adapter plate that the aftermarket trans uses.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock