Pennock's Fiero Forum
  Technical Discussion & Questions - Archive
  Anton done the early 90's 3.1 w turbo swap?

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Email This Page to Someone! | Printable Version

Anton done the early 90's 3.1 w turbo swap? by Wudman
Started on: 05-25-2002 08:31 PM
Replies: 8
Last post by: Wudman on 05-26-2002 06:01 PM
Wudman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2002 08:31 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post
A friend just wasted his low mileage turb-prix, 3.1 w/factory turbo, wondering if anyone has bolted one of these into a Fiero? I know the block is an easy swap, it is the plumbing and wiring I wonder about.
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2002 09:02 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post
I have the engine. I haven't started the swap yet.
Dennis LaGrua

Feedback score:    (13)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 328
Rate this member

Report this Post05-25-2002 11:56 PM Click Here to See the Profile for Dennis LaGruaSend a Private Message to Dennis LaGruaDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Wudman:
A friend just wasted his low mileage turb-prix, 3.1 w/factory turbo, wondering if anyone has bolted one of these into a Fiero? I know the block is an easy swap, it is the plumbing and wiring I wonder about.

I had one of the 3.1L TGP McClaren turbo setups a while back. The 3.1L used on the TGP was the Gen II version which uses aluminum heads with splayed valves and dished pistons. The swap would not be a direct bolt in as I would think that you would need to relocate the turbo location especially so on a stick Fiero.

------------------
87GT 3.4 Turbo Best 0-60 5.2 seconds
http://turbofiero.fierojoe.com/turbo.htm

watts

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 12:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
If anyone was/is wondering what it looks/looked like:

Will

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 237
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 11:34 AM Click Here to See the Profile for WillSend a Private Message to WillDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by Dennis LaGrua:
I had one of the 3.1L TGP McClaren turbo setups a while back. The 3.1L used on the TGP was the Gen II version which uses aluminum heads with splayed valves and dished pistons. The swap would not be a direct bolt in as I would think that you would need to relocate the turbo location especially so on a stick Fiero.

Isn't the turbo on that car about where the turbo is on your car?

watts

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 117
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 11:54 AM Click Here to See the Profile for wattsSend a Private Message to wattsDirect Link to This Post
The above setup only works on an automatic due to the lack of shifter cables coming in from the top.

On a stick car, it has to be more to the back. Red Oktober and I are currently working the design over for the stick car version. Just gotta learn how to stay awake 24hrs a day for about a month and we'll have enough time.

SCCA FIERO

Feedback score: (4)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 93
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 03:57 PM Click Here to See the Profile for SCCA FIEROSend a Private Message to SCCA FIERODirect Link to This Post
Is there anything special done to this motor for the turbo application? I think it has lower compression, but what kind of pistons did they use? Is the block stronger than the 2.8? What about the heads... alloy?

------------------

DKOV

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 05:58 PM Click Here to See the Profile for DKOVClick Here to visit DKOV's HomePageSend a Private Message to DKOVDirect Link to This Post
Now, in my old 1990 Turbo GTP, the peak HP was only 205. The turbo really didn't seem to do much... perhaps using a bigger turbo?

I've had 3 GPs, a 1989 SE, 1990 GTP and 1991 GTP. By far, the 3.4L Twin Dual Cam (DOHC) equipped 1991 is the strongest, even without the Turbo.

Just my .02 cents worth

DKOV -

Wudman

Feedback score: (5)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 60
Rate this member

Report this Post05-26-2002 06:01 PM Click Here to See the Profile for WudmanSend a Private Message to WudmanDirect Link to This Post
searching the archives I found a pretty decent thread on the issue, but it seems no one has this mill/combo set up. I know that from the previous thread, the motor is suppose to be basically a normally aspirated engine with the turbo added on. Normal compression etc. It is suppose to do about 205HP which sounds pretty sweet and driveable for a drop in. The big one is if I can get the car pretty reasonably after the adjusters. I don't mind ditching the Isuzu 5spd from this 86 SE with a toasted 2.5 for an automatic as there are computer issues for the manual beyond the fit.

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave
Real-Time Chat | Fiero Related Auctions on eBay

Copyright (c) 1999, C. Pennock