Flasher unit for LED's? by cowans
Started on: 04-23-2002 01:21 PM
Replies: 9
Last post by: TRiAD on 04-25-2002 11:05 PM
cowans

Feedback score: N/A
Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 01:21 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
I'm told to use LED's in my taillights, I must change my flasher unit. I've tried searching for this flasher unit(varible load flasher) at parts stores in my area, and as expected, their knowledge is less than _! Does anyone have a part# that I could search out? I tried searching the older discussions, to no avail. Must I change my 4-way flasher unit as well? All help appreciated.
thanks, Sandy
IP: Logged
PFF
System Bot
MinnGreenGT

Feedback score: (1)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 274
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 01:28 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
You need to replace your standard thermal unit with a Heavy Duty Electronic Unit (Variable-Load). Any variable load unit that matches your plug will work fine.

Warning though- you'll also need to replace or disconnect the 3rd Brakelight bulb... it is a dual filament quartz bulb- which causes a bad ground in the system when LEDs are used. I haven't gotten around to it yet, but I'm planning on replacing it with an LED bar soon.

BTW: Are you switchint to clear taillights when you use the LEDs? If not- then don't bother with the LEDs.

There is some more info in here if you're intersted:
//www.fiero.nl/forum/Archives/Archive-000002/HTML/20020319-1-011212.html

Any other LED questions... just ask- there are enough around here that have done it! (Myself included)

------------------

Looking for Fiero posters?

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 01:49 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Thanks MinnGreenGT. I tried auto parts stores and they all go "HUH!" One Custom shop had a female that knew 'everything', and said I don't need to change it???'thanks very much" but I don't want a strobe light!@ These lights are going into my replica(using a Fiero Harness). My 3rd brakelight(8" line of LED's) is in my wing, which I ran a separate lead from the brake switch, works fine. Does the 4-way flasher have to change as well?
Sandy

[This message has been edited by cowans (edited 04-23-2002).]

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 01:51 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Nope... that was something that actually confused me when I did my install- the 4 way flasher still worked, but my turn signals wouldn't flash! So no- the 4 way unit will be fine.

What type of replica are you working on?

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 02:20 PM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Thanks on the advice of the 4-way.
Replica= Koenig Competition, here's a pic
Sandy
Nashco

Feedback score:    (8)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 74
Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 03:09 PM Click Here to See the Profile for NashcoClick Here to visit Nashco's HomePageSend a Private Message to NashcoDirect Link to This Post
MinnGreen...I'm lost...

You said the third brake light won't work anymore, after installing the LED lights and variable resistance flasher unit. Well, I did that, and mine still worked. Is it possible my light had been replaced before with a different type of bulb?? I just happen to be working on a third brake light now and had the bulb out...looks factory, with the different plug style and all. My third brake light DID work though, without any modifications done by me, and I'm only doing another brake light by choice.

Any ideas?

Bryce
88 GT

MinnGreenGT

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-23-2002 03:27 PM Click Here to See the Profile for MinnGreenGTClick Here to visit MinnGreenGT's HomePageSend a Private Message to MinnGreenGTDirect Link to This Post
Bryce... it is possible that someone replaced your original quartz bulb with something else. How to check the 3rd Brake light? Does your car produce this light pattern?

Primarily do both(4 total) your tail/brake lights work correctly? Or does only the inside (or outside) one light initially- then both come on with the brake pedal? That's what shows the bad ground.

If you are still getting the above pattern- including having your 3rd brakelight work correctly (should match the tail/brakelights)... do me a favor and take apart your 3rd brakelight assembly and see if anything is unusual (possibly a part number on the bulb also).

Cowans- Now I remember your replica... I have bunch of pics on my Hard Drive from shortly after you got it. It came from CK3 right? How is it coming along?

cowans

Leave feedback

Rate this member

Report this Post04-24-2002 09:48 AM Click Here to See the Profile for cowansSend a Private Message to cowansDirect Link to This Post
Thanks, everyone. Finally have located varible load flasher and only $8/Can.
MinnGreenGT, car is a riot to drive, stops traffic everywhere. Just put in 300hp + 5spd, lots on tap... tinkering with the little things. Thanks for asking,
Sandy
theogre

Leave feedback

Total ratings: 568
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2002 09:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for theogreClick Here to visit theogre's HomePageSend a Private Message to theogreDirect Link to This Post
According to the parts books there are 2 high mount (3rd) brake light configs....

The ones using lamp 889 are fed from the blue wire running to the brake pedal switch. It is completely separate from the coupe brake/turn lights. (889 is a single filament Halogen lamp. 55W I think.) The blue wire feeds the separate brake lights in fast back GT.

I'm not sure how the other lamp, if it was ever really used, is setup.

The 4 ways still work because the 2 front lamps and the 2 dash indicators are probably enough to make it run. Thermal cans require a certain amount of current thru them to operate. If the 4 ways blink slow, try using the old turn signal can there.

------------------
11-Sept-01, The day the world as we knew it ended.

TRiAD

Feedback score: (3)
Leave feedback

Total ratings: 81
Rate this member

Report this Post04-25-2002 11:05 PM Click Here to See the Profile for TRiADSend a Private Message to TRiADDirect Link to This Post

Originally posted by cowans:
Thanks on the advice of the 4-way.
Replica= Koenig Competition, here's a pic
Sandy

MORE PICS PUHLEEEEEEEEEEEASE!

That's one beautiful replica!

All times are ET (US)

T H I S   I S   A N   A R C H I V E D   T O P I C

Contact Us | Back To Main Page

Advertizing on PFF | Fiero Parts Vendors
PFF Merchandise | Fiero Gallery | Ogre's Cave